What did we learn Michigan Game

The single biggest recruiting move under Rhule so far was of course bringing in Sims. Like, by a mile. And really, he hasn't even played two full games for us yet.

But holy s***. You look at his film from Georgia Tech and it's just like, why did these guys bring him in? What were some of those final meetings like where they made him the offer?

For me it's just a really terrible start to this thing. Again, I'm saying a terrible "start." Totally believe Sims could come out against Illinois and light it up and save the season. But amidst the abject clusterf*** that is NIL and the conversation around NIL, our QB position is the focal point.

That's why the conversations about Ricky Haarberg's throwing motion and those kinds of things are a headscratcher. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

30 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This is kind of where I’m at.

Im actually coming around on HH.  I think he’s going to get better.  Good enough to be the future?  I don’t know.

I like how young the D is.  

At the end of the day, we just are not on the level of Michigan, but I still believe in the process.

And yes, the west is absolute trash.  I’m still optimistic that the can find 4 more wins.  A bowl feels like a Natty at this point.

I think the D is sort of not as good as we had hoped or thought.

• TBH 1

20 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

They were missing probably two of their best players and a 3rd left the game.  So maybe there aren't as good but definitely better with those guys 

For sure.

I think that they will look "good" the rest of the season because the teams left on the schedule are sooooo bad, especially on offense.  

They should not let up over 17 vs Illinois.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Undone said:

The single biggest recruiting move under Rhule so far was of course bringing in Sims. Like, by a mile. And really, he hasn't even played two full games for us yet.

But holy s***. You look at his film from Georgia Tech and it's just like, why did these guys bring him in? What were some of those final meetings like where they made him the offer?

For me it's just a really terrible start to this thing. Again, I'm saying a terrible "start." Totally believe Sims could come out against Illinois and light it up and save the season. But amidst the abject clusterf*** that is NIL and the conversation around NIL, our QB position is the focal point.

That's why the conversations about Ricky Haarberg's throwing motion and those kinds of things are a headscratcher. 

And, Casey Thompson has explicitly stated he never wanted to leave Nebraska. 

I'm not accusing Rhule of deliberately sabotaging the season to make future seasons looked better by comparison.   It's not like that's been his gimmick his entire career or anything like that. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And, Casey Thompson has explicitly stated he never wanted to leave Nebraska. 

I'm not accusing Rhule of deliberately sabotaging the season to make future seasons looked better by comparison.   It's not like that's been his gimmick his entire career or anything like that. 

I think a lot of times coaches think that they can "fix" a player.  

And maybe Sims will have a nice season still.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That joke (?) is getting around here and there.  Maybe next it'll be a meme.  Then it'll be misinformation dressed as information (with links).   Perhaps the coach will cultivate it as a rumor and try to bask in it as a sort of excuse for the losses, the blowouts. 

Reminds me of a fight I watched after school as a fourth grader, it was two sixth graders;  big kids to a fourth grader.  Finally one got up from the ground with a nosebleed, torn shirt, dirt all over his face and hair, a forced smile on his face but pain and a bit of a cry in his eyes.  He got his butt kicked so bad that generally from then on kids seemed to not even want to be around him anymore.  I think the smile did wear off after a bit.

40 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I am hugely biased as an OL and an OL coach.

Until we fix the freaking line to look at least average against real Power 5 teams, the people playing behind them and their attributes and skills won't matter as much to the overall success of this team.

This is where the rebuild has to start; until we get some resemblance of a Big 10-caliber line, the program is going nowhere. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Cal Ripken Jr changed his batting stance like 30 times.  Tiger woods changed his swing.  Unless HH has a medical issue that doesn't allow him to move his arm differently then it can be changed. 

I didn’t realize HH was winning Heisman’s and national championships before he changed his throwing motion. 

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think a lot of times coaches think that they can "fix" a player.  

And maybe Sims will have a nice season still.  

That should always be a red flag to me. You shouldn't see a guy and say "I can fix him." They should be looking at how they can develop his current talent. I would agree with the Shanahan quote posted the other day. The motion is what it is, and that's also why you have guys like Rodgers, Mahomies, Wilson, and Murray in the NFL now. People didn't try to fix them, they said "hey, why does this work and what can we do with it?"

I can't think of one QB who's throwing motion was changed and they lit it up, but there are plenty who got screwed up. Could be like plastic surgery though... you only noticed the botched jobs.

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I am hugely biased as an OL and an OL coach.

Until we fix the freaking line to look at least average against real Power 5 teams, the people playing behind them and their attributes and skills won't matter as much to the overall success of this team.

This x1,000,000. This has been said since maybe the last few years of Pelini. It's insane that none of the coaches we have been through emphasized the OL. Frost brought in some good recruits on paper, but the development under 2 position coaches was non-existent to say the least. This year run blocking has improved, but pass protection is as bad as ever. Which means we're f#&%ed when we get down 2 scores.

• Plus1 1