The Hunt for Red October

knapplc

three, four, five....... all seven.

There is not a game left on the schedule that strikes fear in the hearts of anyone. Nebraska could win them all. Nebraska could lose them all since we get in our own way. I am seeing a run here that could take us all the way to 9-3 and a pretty decent bowl. Got to agree with  ...  TonyStalloni ... Now is the time to strike and get this done. With the additions to the BIG, it's going to be harder, and we need momentum.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

However, October has gifted Nebraska with a real opportunity to win three in a row.

ESPNs matchup thingy has the Skers win likelihood at 38.8%, NW at 55.5%, and Purdue at 41.5%.

38.8% x 55.5% x 41.5% = 8.9%

So you telling me there's a chance?

Yeah!

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4

44 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Agreed...  lets get these next 4 wins and get a bowl game under our belt..

Honestly not likely.  I'm afraid SEVEN consecutive years NO BOWL streak

Right now, look at Massey Composite Ratings. ALL underdogs (gambling guy):

• Illini #75
  • Northwestern #77
  • Purdue #58
  • Michigan St #72
  • Terps #23
  • Badgers #24
  • Iowa #33
  • Huskers #82

9i86i17.png

October is traditionally a huge month for any program hoping to put a stamp on its season, and I think this week in particular is going to tell us a lot about this team. They're coming off a drubbing and going on the road against an equitable team on a short week. This is where a team can show its mettle and set a strong foundation for the future.

I'm not going to be too fussed if this month is underwhelming, but it'd be huge for the program's confidence to find a way to win October and go 3-1.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

three, four, five....... all seven.

There is not a game left on the schedule that strikes fear in the hearts of anyone. 

Maryland looks like they'll beat Nebraska comfortably. Wisconsin seems to be quite a bit better. 

Hopefully Nebraska finds a way to win at least 2 out of the next 4. I do think Nebraska has a lot riding on this Illinois game. If they come out with no fight and decide to get bludgeoned like they did against Michigan, things will get bad around here.

The culture of losing has permeated this program. The collective recognition of the wheels coming off the wagon; giving up when things go poorly, it's all been happening for to long. It's a plague the upperclassmen have given to the younger players after many coaches and ADs. Frankly, coach Rhule didn't understand how terrible the culture is sound here. A complete roster overhaul with all new players is probably necessary. Let's hope they start winning to reverse it all. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

It really doesn't have anything to do with the players or the culture. It's about being able to make the decisions that result in ugly wins instead of head scratching losses. 

Against Minnesota, if you kick the FG at the end of the first half, it's tied. And you're leading 13-3 in the second half. If you put in the running back who is less likely to fumble and play field position, you win 13-3. Not exciting, but a win.

We threw a pick at the end of the first half. Fine. Still up 10-3. And would probably win by that count.

Play the RB that fumbles a lot and then the game is tied.

OK ... run the ball and play field position and you go to OT and maybe pull it out. Our physical play was getting to them. Heck, we might have got an FG and won in regulation with physical play on our last drive.

Instead, we throw a pick. And they walk it off.

Until we make decisions that result in ugly wins, we are going to suffer head scratching losses. 

FACTS

2 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

It really doesn't have anything to do with the players or the culture. It's about being able to make the decisions that result in ugly wins instead of head scratching losses. 

Against Minnesota, if you kick the FG at the end of the first half, it's tied. And you're leading 13-3 in the second half. If you put in the running back who is less likely to fumble and play field position, you win 13-3. Not exciting, but a win.

We threw a pick at the end of the first half. Fine. Still up 10-3. And would probably win by that count.

Play the RB that fumbles a lot and then the game is tied.

OK ... run the ball and play field position and you go to OT and maybe pull it out. Our physical play was getting to them. Heck, we might have got an FG and won in regulation with physical play on our last drive.

Instead, we throw a pick. And they walk it off.

Until we make decisions that result in ugly wins, we are going to suffer head scratching losses. 

FACTS

It's pretty easy to figure out the correct decision after the fact though. I was nervous about Sims throwing into the end zone before the half, but to that point he had one turnover on a slightly overthrown ball. Nothing had screamed bad decision maker to that point, and with the amount of time left calling a "safe" pass play and settling for a field goal if it didn't work was the right call.

Agreed on Grant, that one I did question at the time. Not sure why it was him and not Ervin. It still took a facemask penalty caused by Lenhardt being held, dropped INT by Gifford in the end zone on third down, a missed false start, the best throw of Kaliakmanis's life, a serious misstep in coverage by Hartzog, and an incredible catch to lose the lead. Some of those were controllable by the players, some weren't. But it's not like the series of events went Grant fumble > game-tying TD - there were many opportunities for players to step up and stop it.

And I also don't have a problem playing to win. You can question whether Sims should have still been in there, or whether we should have been throwing it, but I don't think it was the wrong decision at the time. Overtime would have been in Minnesota's favor - both defense were playing well, and you start in position to kick a 42 yard field goal. Their kicker gets to kick at home, and isn't a true freshman playing in his first college game. And again, all decisions aside we had them 3rd and 13 with what would have been a 57 yard attempt, and let a draw go for 11 yards. Sure, with the benefit of hindsight you can put players in a better position to win. But they still had a lot of opportunities that the guys just didn't seize. 

• Plus1 2