****Illinois Game Day Thread****

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Which part was nope? The coaches being unhappy or HH making bad decisions? 

That said, I agree that we should have ran, but the play developments looked decent. We just didn't have a QB in who could complete those passes.

Nope as in it was on the coaches for reasons I mentioned.  YOU DON'T PUT A QUESTIONABLE THROWER in that position when he showed the series before that he lacks so much in regards to throwing downfield.  So that is why I am more on the coaches over HH.  Even if Sims was playing you take that to the half.  As you said no QB to execute a two minute drill

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

We need to come out and score and extend our lead our Illinois will gain confidence 

They already gain confidence seeing some of the asinine calls that are offensive coordinator called. They know that he's going to call plays to our quarterbacks weakness.

Fwiw, I think everyone brings up good points but I also like the coaches being aggressive. Part of our team’s issues are believing bad things will happen, and attempting to score before the half is an effort to change that.

But after that first bad throw, I would have just ran the ball and tried to get it to halftime. All good. Win this road game.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

Nope as in it was on the coaches for reasons I mentioned.  YOU DON'T PUT A QUESTIONABLE THROWER in that position when he showed the series before that he lacks so much in regards to throwing downfield.  So that is why I am more on the coaches over HH.  Even if Sims was playing you take that to the half.  As you said no QB to execute a two minute drill

I didn't mind the play calls as receivers were open and the line was giving him quite a bit of time. I did not like the decision making coming from the gunslinger. And based on Rhule's reaction after that third down pass, he also didn't like Haarberg's decision-making. FWIW, I didn't mention Sims or 2-minute drill. 

Haarberg is going to need to hit some more passes if we hope to get our run game going. They have stuffed Grant and Johnson as the first half progressed. If we hope to be able to continue running, we need some of the passes to connect and soften up the defense.

3 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Fwiw, I think everyone brings up good points but I also like the coaches being aggressive. Part of our team’s issues are believing bad things will happen, and attempting to score before the half is an effort to change that.

But after that first bad throw, I would have just ran the ball and tried to get it to halftime. All good. Win this road game.

Being up 17-0 at half and getting the ball...That would have been great for the team.

Not being up 17-7, with a FG attempt that could have made it a one score game.

Up 3 scores, on the road, getting the ball???  The game is over with a 6 minute drive and a TD to start the second half.