2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

18 hours ago, Red Five said:

Plane flew to Waco this morning.  Now scheduled to fly to Columbus (not the one in Nebraska) soon.  So is McCord or WR Julius Fleming in play?

McCord fits the 1 year rental QB criteria.

Fleming has 1 year to play and would be a veteran WR that could help.  Had 79 catches for 963 yards and 7 TDs in his 4 years at OSU being used mainly as a WR3 or WR4.

Plane is now enroute to Huron, SD.  Assuming for refueling.  Then continuing on to Pullman, WA.

Cam Ward baby!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

22 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I get a little nervous about QBs like McCord.  He has one of the best O Lines and a stacked receiver room.

I'd like to see a player that is a game manager that has overachieved based on the talent around them.  Seems less risky to me.

I can understand that hesitation and should be considered by the coaching staff when evaluating what fits best for NU.  How would his performance be when playing with lesser talent.  Would he be able to elevate the talent around him?  

I would be fine with any of the mentioned QB’s that are associated with NU interest at this point.   All would be a very large upgrade over what the team currently has.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I guess when Rhule stated last week that a good portal QB would cost $1M-$2M he was advertising that Nebraska is willing to pay in that range for a QB.

Yeah, it sounds like we're willing to put up the cash, but it's gonna depend on who's willing to answer the phone when a 5-7 team calls. Supposedly the staff's preference is to get a name guy with multiple years of eligibility remaining, and then second choice would be a guy with one year of eligibility plus a younger developmental guy like Leavitt or Keinholz.

• TBH 1
46 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I get a little nervous about QBs like McCord.  He has one of the best O Lines and a stacked receiver room.

I'd like to see a player that is a game manager that has overachieved based on the talent around them.  Seems less risky to me.

I'd be happy with any of the QBs that our staff has visited.  But, if I get to choose, I think I would rather have Howard than McCord.  

29 minutes ago, Toe said:

Yeah, it sounds like we're willing to put up the cash, but it's gonna depend on who's willing to answer the phone when a 5-7 team calls. Supposedly the staff's preference is to get a name guy with multiple years of eligibility remaining, and then second choice would be a guy with one year of eligibility plus a younger developmental guy like Leavitt or Keinholz.

I agree with your post, except I am not sure the 5-7 record comes into play nearly as much as the 1.5-2 mil that we are probably willing to pay.  Again, most of these guys want a payday more than NC.  Of course, they are going to say the right thing, but $ talks the loudest.

• Plus1 1