2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

6 minutes ago, HANC said:

I agree with your post, except I am not sure the 5-7 record comes into play nearly as much as the 1.5-2 mil that we are probably willing to pay.  Again, most of these guys want a payday more than NC.  Of course, they are going to say the right thing, but $ talks the loudest.

Yeah, I think for a lot of guys these days, it depends on whether they have any realistic NFL chances. If they do, they want a team that can make them look good. If not, just take the best NIL deal available.

15 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Any idea why the mass exodus at Ohio State, and what might be behind that? 

Not sure I'd call it a mass exodus, it's all playing time. McCord had a good year but was told they will be looking in the portal. He would have the opportunity to keep his job but they are swinging for a big name and he's likely going to be the backup if he stays. Fleming got passed by some younger guys. He's good, you just have to be great to play WR there.

Everyone they sign is a big time recruit, so it's all "OSU loses multiple high 4-stars and 5-stars to the portal!" but McCord and Fleming are the only two I see who had significant playing time and would be contributors next year. The next biggest name is Cameron Martinez, but his role has decreased each of his 3 years there. They are all being processed/seeking more playing time they weren't going to get.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I guess when Rhule stated last week that a good portal QB would cost $1M-$2M he was advertising that Nebraska is willing to pay in that range for a QB.

It's very possible that Rhule's comment was an attempt to signal to the top potential QB transfers, that we understand the price tag and be ready to hear from us with a competitive bid.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Not sure I'd call it a mass exodus, it's all playing time. McCord had a good year but was told they will be looking in the portal. He would have the opportunity to keep his job but they are swinging for a big name and he's likely going to be the backup if he stays. Fleming got passed by some younger guys. He's good, you just have to be great to play WR there.

Everyone they sign is a big time recruit, so it's all "OSU loses multiple high 4-stars and 5-stars to the portal!" but McCord and Fleming are the only two I see who had significant playing time and would be contributors next year. The next biggest name is Cameron Martinez, but his role has decreased each of his 3 years there. They are all being processed/seeking more playing time they weren't going to get.

I have no inside stuff, but a few of my OSU buddies say that OSU has been in tight conversations with Ward and even Arch Manning is a rumor.  McCord had a good year, but fans of the OSU are used to Stroud, Fields, ect... and he wasn't in their class.  He not only caught a lot of flack, the idea of a big time transfer coming in, is enough for him to seek a payday and leave.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

It's very possible that Rhule's comment was an attempt to signal to the top potential QB transfers, that we understand the price tag and be ready to hear from us with a competitive bid.

I don’t know how accurate the NIL valuations are on a site like ON3, but this $1-2 million number seems higher than any quarterback listed on there. It very well could’ve been him saying that we are willing to pay more than anyone else for your services.

• TBH 2
5 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

I don’t know how accurate the NIL valuations are on a site like ON3, but this $1-2 million number seems higher than any quarterback listed on there. It very well could’ve been him saying that we are willing to pay more than anyone else for your services.

Or, if nothing else raise the market value so other programs are left out of the running.

5 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

I don’t know how accurate the NIL valuations are on a site like ON3

I'm guessing not very accurate.  They are just based on some algorithm.

No one really knows what these guys are getting paid.  There are whispers and message board rumors, but really only the players and the guys that actually pay them know what anyone is getting.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

With as many that have jumped into the portal, there's probably some smoke here.  The old saying, where there's smoke, there's fire comes to mind.

No one outside of McCord and Fleming was going to be in their two-deep, and those two wouldn't be starting. Maybe there's something with Day too, but they are not concerned with any of the portal entries and probably encouraged most of them.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

depend on who's willing to answer the phone when a 5-7 team calls.

Rhule's job is to tell the guy we are really a 9-3 team in 2023 with the right QB.  The pieces are available - esp after all of the injured are back and available.  It is the QB position primarily that kept us from being 8-4 or 9-3 or even 10-2.  

• TBH 1