Huskers Hire Glenn Thomas as Co-Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I read somewhere that Rhule wanted a designated QB coach last year, but the guy they wanted turned him down. (guy from 49ers?) Satt was always supposed to be OC and TE coach but, he was thrown into being QB coach because of this.

So, now, the staff is more in line with what Rhule originally wanted.  I'm not sure all of this is because Rhule was unhappy with what the offense looked like last year.  It might be more of what his long term goal has always been.

Jake Peetz - LA Rams

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/10/rams-jake-peetz-coach-assistant-nebraska/

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

9 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

I think its mind boggling that some cant see that there is a difference between coaching QB's and overseeing an offense as well as the benefit of having continuity in that group as a whole..  those that want to out an OC after a first yr start up with all the issues that were faced,  boggle my mind...  maybe Satt is over his head and maybe Rhule is setting the table for that scenario, only TIME will tell...  That is the difference between a good head coach and a knee jerk reaction.. 

The issues were on Offense and some Special Teams.  You want to ride Satterfield for a few years in an era where talent goes to greener pastures in hopes he comes around?  

One of the many knocks on the guy is he is too complex with his playbook.  Couple that with this - did you see any improvement from our QB room at all?  We have a coach who we want to give more time, in hopes he can be developed, in an era where talent flees in an expeditious fashion, because looking for better coaches and proven commodities is...not the right thing to do?  

Satterfield is a weak link in the tied-for-second most important coaching role on the team.  Let's now build strategic foundations around this fact and all of this "time" we have for him to come around, fingers-crossed hopefulness, and coins in wishing wells.  

Glad he's removed from QB oversight.  Next good move will be to remove his play calling duties.  Give him more time to come into his own as a budding OC...

• Haha 7
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So you actually expected to see improvement in the QB room when the raw materials were Sims, Haarburg and an injured Purdy? And you blame Satt for that? SMH

I think Satt gets the benefit of the doubt with that room and gets another year in 24.   Thomas is now QB coach, so it'll be interesting to see how they are graded this year. 

• Plus1 1

Satterfield deserves credit for at least trying to come up with a system that fit the players he had available. Some of you clearly expected him to make chicken salad out of chicken s#!t. Not happening. Some of his play calls really seemed to lack situational awareness, though.

I still feel like Sims's collapse was too severe to really be explained by coaching, so I don't really hold it against Satterfield, either. Still, Sims was Rhule's guy, and Rhule's biggest mistake to date. And his second biggest mistake was his management of the rest of the QBs room. Is there anyone who thinks that Haarberg and Purdy were better backups than Thompson and Smothers would have been? (I hold personnel issues like that more against the HC than the OC/DC, though obviously the whole staff is involved to some degree.)

• Plus1 6
  • TBH 1

Rhule has added some good stuff. While not totally nixing what he started. 

we should be happy w that. we can get better w what he has added. That’s the goal, and always should be; players, coaches, NIL, portal, etc…he’s trying make things better and we should just simply applaud that instead of over dissecting things. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
14 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

The issues were on Offense and some Special Teams.  You want to ride Satterfield for a few years in an era where talent goes to greener pastures in hopes he comes around?  

One of the many knocks on the guy is he is too complex with his playbook.  Couple that with this - did you see any improvement from our QB room at all?  We have a coach who we want to give more time, in hopes he can be developed, in an era where talent flees in an expeditious fashion, because looking for better coaches and proven commodities is...not the right thing to do?  

Satterfield is a weak link in the tied-for-second most important coaching role on the team.  Let's now build strategic foundations around this fact and all of this "time" we have for him to come around, fingers-crossed hopefulness, and coins in wishing wells.  

Glad he's removed from QB oversight.  Next good move will be to remove his play calling duties.  Give him more time to come into his own as a budding OC...

Scott..??  Is that you..??

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Worth a Look 2

There has to be something Rhule sees in Satterfield to keep him around. My guess is that he sees enough in scheme/play design (maybe?) that he’ll give Satterfield one season in a lesser (but yet important) capacity to pad his resume and find another job. Probably wrong, but just a thought I had.

9 hours ago, Toe said:

Is there anyone who thinks that Haarberg and Purdy were better backups than Thompson and Smothers would have been?

Both Thompson and Smothers were welcome to stay.  They both wanted to leave (CT to be promised a starting job, Logan to be closer to home).  What was Rhule supposed to do, lock them in a closest in North Stadium and make them stay?

Neither Thompson or Smothers were able to practice in the spring.  I think Rhule rightly brought in a starting QB.  Sims numbers had been trending up every year at GT.  For some reason it just happened to be a disaster.

• TBH 8

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Thompson had a worse QBR than any of our three last year.  Against worse competition.

Yes, but Thompson also had a better passer rating than any of the three.  With much worse talent around him.  

In hindsight, Rhule made the incorrect decision on the QB position last year.  Casey wasn’t the problem in 2022 and Rhule would have been better off bringing Casey, Smothers, Purdy back if all three wanted to be back vs bringing in and settling for Simms.

Rhule by all accounts has fixed his mistake on the recruiting trail and with a dedicated QB coach it seems and we all hope he can build a QB pipeline in the future based off of what we hope is Raiola’s success.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

In hindsight, Rhule made the incorrect decision on the QB position last year.  Casey wasn’t the problem in 2022 and Rhule would have been better off bringing Casey, Smothers, Purdy back if all three wanted to be back vs bringing in and settling for Simms.

Rhule by all accounts has fixed his mistake on the recruiting trail and with a dedicated QB coach it seems and we all hope he can build a QB pipeline in the future based off of what we hope is Raiola’s success.  

Agree with that second paragraph, for sure. To the first part, I'm still trying to figure out why the staff went so hard with trying to set up a power run QB scheme leading into year one. A lot of keyboard warriors think they have all the answers there, but I'm not so sure.

But, like you said in the second part - Rhule is getting things fixed. I think our program has a bigger head of steam right now than I reasonably thought we'd have at this point if I go back to just after the Georgia Southern loss in 2022 and Frost's firing.

The 2023 season was really disappointing on offense because of how good the defense wound up being, but good things are ahead.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

But, like you said in the second part - Rhule is getting things fixed. I think our program has a bigger head of steam right now than I reasonably thought we'd have at this point if I go back to just after the Georgia Southern loss in 2022 and Frost's firing.

The 2023 season was really disappointing on offense because of how good the defense wound up being, but good things are ahead.

Definitely agree with you.  I’m happy with the direction things are going, and very happy the coaching staff has decided to do away with the heavy QB run game as you said.  The coaching staff is looking like they are able to get more out of the players than the Frost staff was able to do!

Rhule and staff need to pull in a too 15 recruiting class for 2025 and lock in a stud 2026 QB early on when that time comes (rankings by star ranking/per recruit, not overall points knowing it will be a smaller class) and then he will really have things going for the future.  I think he can do it.  

• Plus1 2
On 1/16/2024 at 8:43 PM, DefenderAO said:

OC and Tight End coach.  

SMH.

Only scratching my head because we gave-up on this plan last year when Peetz fell-through, should have moved on to another candidate. Rhule had been down this road with Satt before at Temple. Situation was made worse by going after a project like Sims. He was a questionable get either way but worse when you have questions about ability to coach-up qb's.