Two-Minute Warning in College Football?

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Gotta find ways to generate more ad money.. Big Business you know!!

Oh no, I am sure TV timeouts will be gone with this...

Been hovering for over two years BTW.  I'm a transplant (to NE) ant not some dang bot.  Transplanted a lot earlier, started watching Huskerboards during the Mickey Joseph, uh scenario,

• Plus1 1
  • Worth a Look 1

I think the next logical step in further reducing the the number of plays clogging up the games between commercials will be to make incomplete passes only a temporary time-out. After an incompletion the clock will only stop until the ball is set and ready for play at which point the clock will resume. Just like it is when a player runs OOB now or how it used to be after a first down. Mark my words, that day is coming and probably sooner rather than later. Less football and more commercials is the recipe for success.

• Plus1 3

I go watch Cherry Creek 3-4 games a year and I love how the game is just played. No one standing around, not a lot of breaks, games are the same clock time but way less in actual time. 
What would be really groundbreaking is to have QR codes on screens for ads, 4 minutes extra btwn quarters, 5 min extra halftimes for commercials.  Then you have the obvious injury and called timeouts. 
that’s plenty of time to run commercials during the game and real game breaks. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, I am I said:

I go watch Cherry Creek 3-4 games a year and I love how the game is just played. No one standing around, not a lot of breaks, games are the same clock time but way less in actual time. 
What would be really groundbreaking is to have QR codes on screens for ads, 4 minutes extra btwn quarters, 5 min extra halftimes for commercials.  Then you have the obvious injury and called timeouts. 
that’s plenty of time to run commercials during the game and real game breaks. 

What absolutely drives me crazy is when there's an injury, they stay with the game, talking about the injury, but not really showing anything.  Then...when the player is finally off the field, they go to commercial timeout.  Like...WTF???

Why not go to commercial when it appears there's going to be a delay in the game, then explain the injury when they come back...and get on with the game.

• Plus1 4

The two-minute warning doesn't even serve it's intended purpose anymore and has primarily become just another extended commercial break (obviously the teams benefit too from the extra clock stoppage), so I would not really be a fan of it being in college. 

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Alberts has talked about the possible benefits of this, and made a good point about how TV timeouts might not clog early parts of the game as much with it.

Even if there's an initial reduction in commercials to start the broadcast, they'll eventually put them back in because they want more money. 

• Plus1 3

I expect to see more and more of this in the future - the college game reflecting the rules, policies, and practices of the NFL.  College Football, or at least the SEC/B1G eventual consolidation of the top programs, is becoming NFL light - the farm league for the NFL.  

2 minute warning will interrupt the flow and tension of the game - (close game that is).  I dislike it when a team is driving for that hopefully winning TD and then the 2 min warning comes and it gives the D what they need to recompose themselves in an artificial way - it should be on the coach to save back a time out at that point and not get bailed out by a TV commercial.  :rant (Ok take a breath - that was a long run-on sentence - my HS English teacher, Mrs Hoover, would be very disappointed in me... but I digress) 

Of course if my team is the team on D with no time outs remaining then the 2 min warning is just fine :D:smokin:facepalm:

A two-minute warning should not be the focus if college football is trying to be more like the NFL.  It only benefits a financial decision.

Hey if you want to be taken seriously about the bridge gap, why not look at hash marks?  Why the 10 feet difference?

Why not NFL overtime rules?

Why not NFL play clock rules?

Why not have a legal reception with 2 feet in bounds?

Why not have speakers in QBs heads to call plays like the NFL does?

Why not make extra point kicks 33 yards?

I mean, a 2 minute warning is nice but that just means a TV break.  It always gets cut to a sponsored commercial. 

Anything that makes the game last longer is good for fans.

75% of us watch the games as entertainment and with friends.  I want that to last longer, not shorter.  There is a huge difference from a 3 hour game and a game that goes over 3:30.

It is one more beer, 5 more stories, more memories, more fun.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Anything that makes the game last longer is good for fans.

75% of us watch the games as entertainment and with friends.  I want that to last longer, not shorter.  There is a huge difference from a 3 hour game and a game that goes over 3:30.

It is one more beer, 5 more stories, more memories, more fun.  

One beer? Pansy 

• Haha 6