Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Not sure if it's on Netflix or mentioned in this thread yet, but i've been watching "Orphan Black" on Amazon Prime. It's produced by BBC America, and it's been hard to not watch more than one episode at a time. It says it's Sci-Fi, but i'd say that's a little stretch to me. Definitely worth a google search to see if you're interested.

I really enjoy this show as well. BBC puts out a lot of quality tv shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Draft-Day1.jpg

"Draft Day" with Kevin Costner. I watched this on regular cable, not Netflix or demand cable. It was just okay. Worth the watch, I guess. It's just that some of the stuff that goes on in the movie, like the draft trades made, just seems so implausible. Even so it was entertaining to see Hollywood's version of what goes on behind the scenes on draft day.

I've been watching Arrested Development and Firefly, both hugely popular shows and I wanted to see what the big deal was.

Arrested Development was fine for the first three seasons. Season four, the one produced by Netflix, has been half a train wreck. The plot is all over the place, the way the story is told in episodic vignettes is annoying, and the complete change in how many of the characters behave makes it seem unrelated to the original seasons.

Firefly was supposed to be this fantastic, groundbreaking sci-fi series that has the internet buzzing to this day, begging for a reboot. I'm not seeing the big deal. It's OK, but it isn't as good as, say, the original Star Trek or even the 1980s version of Battlestar Galactica. The premise of Firefly seems to be, "Han Solo was kind of a space cowboy. Let's make a whole series blending space opera with the Wild West." Except where Solo's cowboy-ness was understated, it's a tremendous part of the plot of Firefly - and it's dumb. Horses, six-shooters, outlaws and folks runnin' from the law don't meld well with science fiction. I have one more episode to go before I'm done and I won't be sorry to see it end.

I've been watching Arrested Development and Firefly, both hugely popular shows and I wanted to see what the big deal was.

Arrested Development was fine for the first three seasons. Season four, the one produced by Netflix, has been half a train wreck. The plot is all over the place, the way the story is told in episodic vignettes is annoying, and the complete change in how many of the characters behave makes it seem unrelated to the original seasons.

Firefly was supposed to be this fantastic, groundbreaking sci-fi series that has the internet buzzing to this day, begging for a reboot. I'm not seeing the big deal. It's OK, but it isn't as good as, say, the original Star Trek or even the 1980s version of Battlestar Galactica. The premise of Firefly seems to be, "Han Solo was kind of a space cowboy. Let's make a whole series blending space opera with the Wild West." Except where Solo's cowboy-ness was understated, it's a tremendous part of the plot of Firefly - and it's dumb. Horses, six-shooters, outlaws and folks runnin' from the law don't meld well with science fiction. I have one more episode to go before I'm done and I won't be sorry to see it end.

Maybe watch the movie Serenity when you're done with Firefly. I think Serenity is better than any of the Star Wars or Star Trek movies. (Although I'd rank Wrath of Khan right up there with it. /JMHO)

Maybe watch the movie Serenity when you're done with Firefly. I think Serenity is better than any of the Star Wars or Star Trek movies. (Although I'd rank Wrath of Khan right up there with it. /JMHO)

Yes, you absolutely have to watch Serenity to bring closure to the Firefly series. I kind of agree with Knapp, I was a bit disappointed with Firefly. Probably just because it was oversold on Big Bang Theory and expected more than it delivered. Thought it was OK but not great. Thought they did a pretty good job with Serenity but I wouldn't rank it up there with the better Star Trek movies and surely not on the same level as Star Wars.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you absolutely have to watch Serenity to bring closure to the Firefly series. I kind of agree with Knapp, I was a bit disappointed with Firefly. Probably just because it was oversold on Big Bang Theory and expected more than it delivered. Thought it was OK but not great. Thought they did a pretty good job with Serenity but I wouldn't rank it up there with the better Star Trek movies and surely not on the same level as Star Wars.

I had no idea there was a Serenity movie. That's crazy. It just left Netflix, too.

• 2 weeks later...

The Aviator was just added to Netflix.

Another movie Leonardo DiCaprio didn't win an Oscar for because male Oscar voters are threatened by how attractive he is.

Or because it was so long and slow-moving that everyone was asleep by the end.

I don't remember it that well. I just think he should have gotten one by now and would have if not for Titanic.

The Aviator was just added to Netflix.

Another movie Leonardo DiCaprio didn't win an Oscar for because male Oscar voters are threatened by how attractive he is.

Or because it was so long and slow-moving that everyone was asleep by the end.

You take that back! Ha ha!

I watched The Aviator when it came out. But I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Howard Hughes intrigues me. I've read a couple books about him, and he was quite an interesting guy. Even at the end when he went bonkers. :lol: