Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 10:26 PM, Moiraine said:

Have you ended up watching this yet? If you haven't I'll put this bit in spoilers

Spoiler

I thought the show started out pretty strong through the first few episodes. The whole 'Perrin had a wife' thing and the writers trying to disguise who might be the Dragon Reborn didn't bother me much. But holy cow... Ep. 7 and 8 really bugged me. Rand's reveal as the Dragon was stupid and anti-climatic, just as much as his showdown with the Dark One IMO. I don't know why they decided to steal his shining moment and defeat of the Trolloc army by handing it over to five mostly untrained channelers, only to have Nynaeve kind of die and then get immediately resurrected by Egwene.

Overall, thought the show as 6.5/10. But the first half the season was a solid 8/10.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:34 PM, Enhance said:

Have you ended up watching this yet? If you haven't I'll put this bit in spoilers

Hide contents

I thought the show started out pretty strong through the first few episodes. The whole 'Perrin had a wife' thing and the writers trying to disguise who might be the Dragon Reborn didn't bother me much. But holy cow... Ep. 7 and 8 really bugged me. Rand's reveal as the Dragon was stupid and anti-climatic, just as much as his showdown with the Dark One IMO. I don't know why they decided to steal his shining moment and defeat of the Trolloc army by handing it over to five mostly untrained channelers, only to have Nynaeve kind of die and then get immediately resurrected by Egwene.

Overall, thought the show as 6.5/10. But the first half the season was a solid 8/10.

I'd give the full season a 7/10 and episode 8 a 5/10. I thought 7 was decent except for the angsty stuff they had with the kids. That should have been a lighter moment that made people who hadn't read the books give a crap about these friends being together. Instead it was teen drama.

I did not mind them not having Rand teleport to Tarwin's Gap and annihilate an army. It would make it hard to explain why he isn't constantly doing that throughout the next 3 books worth of material when instead he doesn't really know what he's doing until around book 5. At least with Nynaeve being involved, she has a block that can explain everything. She can't do it on command.

What I do mind is what they chose to replace it with. It was bad. A lot worse than actually having him do exactly what was in the book. So I guess my point is I think there was good reason to change it... they just failed at what they changed it to. They made this episode way more dark than it needed to be. Agelmar and Amalisa dying didn't serve any purpose, so there was no reason to do it. They didn't make people care about either character. What should have happened, imo, is everyone is at the wall and about to get overrun, then Nynaeve and Egwene show up and turn the tide. We didn't need to have Nynaeve almost die (and actually appaer dead). There was enough other bad s#!t happening:

Moiraine getting shielded
Fain taking the dagger and horn
Fain "killing" Loial
Perrin doing nothing
A mysterious invading navy
Rand running off on his own

That being said I know that Covid restrictions had a huge impact on the filming of the last 2 episodes. They were really limited on what they could do with close combat. I think the trollocs were almost entirely CGI because they couldn't get a bunch of extras to come on location. They also had to trash all of their on location plans. For example they actually had a creepy real forest they were going to film the blight scenes in but the ended up having to build it. I think the scenes most affected were the battle scenes. So I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they make some big improvements for season 2. I doubt their original plan was to have a horse charge to a wall, and one scene of a trolloc attacking and spearing someone.

I forgot they just dropped a new season and I squealed with glee.  I'll be really interested to see how they can squeeze another season worth of stuff out.  This last season felt a bit stretched and they jumped the shark some outside of the excellent Okinawa episode and when Ali comes back.  I'm definitely pumped to see Terry Silver come back though.  Gimme some Mike Barnes!