Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Also got through The Terminal List which is on Amazon Prime.  It's a little bit of a paint by numbers political/military thriller.  The show struggles a bit in terms of using Chris Pratt as the lead and playing to his strengths which is allowing him to mix in his goofball personality.  He's just so dour and scowling through the whole show.  The thing that was annoying to me is each episode clocks in at nearly an hour a pop and even with those runtimes, the show does a really poor job of building character depth with the villains that Chris Pratt is going after.  Also the show struggles a bit like Ozark does in that it's so freaking DARK, like literally hard to see what's going on.

The action scenes are well done and Antonio Fuqua (Training Day plus a bijillion other action movies) is the Executive Producer so that he made sure that stuff is done well.  If you like Jack Carr books the show is based on his most recent novel.  Carr is a former Navy SEAL so I did enjoy the military espionage parts of the show.  All in all, I give it like a 6.8/10.  The best part of the show for me is the casting of Taylor Kitsch/Tim Riggins.  He's cast perfectly in his role.  He and Chris Pratt have really good chemistry through the show.

• Plus1 2

38 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Got through 'The Bear' last week.

Quick thoughts, it's a really, really, really well written show.  It's very intense at times and does a great job of giving you a realistic look at what it's like being in a kitchen.  The lead actor does a great job of conveying the heaviness of everything that is being heaped upon him.  They did a great job casting the show and there is a surprise cameo on who they got to play the older brother that does a great job of bringing the character to life.  I can't wait to watch it again.

We've watched a couple episodes. Neither of us are really getting into it much. The "story" just seems kinda flimsy with a bunch of stuff trying to prop it up. We'll see how it goes this week :dunno  

We binged the first two seasons of The Umbrella Academy and started season 3 last night. Pretty fun/funny show. 

55 minutes ago, GSG said:

We've watched a couple episodes. Neither of us are really getting into it much. The "story" just seems kinda flimsy with a bunch of stuff trying to prop it up. We'll see how it goes this week :dunno  

We binged the first two seasons of The Umbrella Academy and started season 3 last night. Pretty fun/funny show. 

That's really interesting.  I get where you're coming from with your 'flimsy' comment because I think the way the show is written is to kind of plunge you into everything headfirst.  Similar to the movie Hidden Gems which was like a 2 hour panic attack.  I think episode 3 or 4 is when Richie and Carmy cater a kid's birthday party with hilarious results so hopefully you and your wife stick through to at least see that episode.

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Also got through The Terminal List which is on Amazon Prime.  It's a little bit of a paint by numbers political/military thriller.  The show struggles a bit in terms of using Chris Pratt as the lead and playing to his strengths which is allowing him to mix in his goofball personality.  He's just so dour and scowling through the whole show.  The thing that was annoying to me is each episode clocks in at nearly an hour a pop and even with those runtimes, the show does a really poor job of building character depth with the villains that Chris Pratt is going after.  Also the show struggles a bit like Ozark does in that it's so freaking DARK, like literally hard to see what's going on.

The action scenes are well done and Antonio Fuqua (Training Day plus a bijillion other action movies) is the Executive Producer so that he made sure that stuff is done well.  If you like Jack Carr books the show is based on his most recent novel.  Carr is a former Navy SEAL so I did enjoy the military espionage parts of the show.  All in all, I give it like a 6.8/10.  The best part of the show for me is the casting of Taylor Kitsch/Tim Riggins.  He's cast perfectly in his role.  He and Chris Pratt have really good chemistry through the show.

We're about halfway through this. It is pretty paint-by-numbers, and I agree that it's very dark and hard to visualize, but we're having trouble hearing the dialog, too. We've turned on closed captions for this one. First time doing that since Peaky Blinders, I think?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Future Man

and

The Orville, which is getting a bit "political" 

Yeah the 3rd season of Orville got way too political. I really enjoyed the first two seasons because it was a nice mix of good sci fi, parody of Star Trek and a bit of Family Guy humor. In the 3rd season the humor all but disappeared and we got hit over the head with metaphors of Trump and the R party and gender identity BS. Not what I want in my leisure time viewing.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

We're about halfway through this. It is pretty paint-by-numbers, and I agree that it's very dark and hard to visualize, but we're having trouble hearing the dialog, too. We've turned on closed captions for this one. First time doing that since Peaky Blinders, I think?

Yup between Chris Pratt and Kitsch there is a lot of mumbling, it doesn't help they both have deep voices.  I noticed that too.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah the 3rd season of Orville got way too political. I really enjoyed the first two seasons because it was a nice mix of good sci fi, parody of Star Trek and a bit of Family Guy humor. In the 3rd season the humor all but disappeared and we got hit over the head with metaphors of Trump and the R party and gender identity BS. Not what I want in my leisure time viewing.

Right???

It really got/gets odd!

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

T

I thought it was my eyes at first or my tv.  I was closing blinds, turning off lights, sitting at different angles.  For a movie or tv show I would like to see what's going on or I can just listen to a  book on tape. 

• Plus1 1
On 7/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, Xmas32 said:

Got through 'The Bear' last week.

Quick thoughts, it's a really, really, really well written show.  It's very intense at times and does a great job of giving you a realistic look at what it's like being in a kitchen.  The lead actor does a great job of conveying the heaviness of everything that is being heaped upon him.  They did a great job casting the show and there is a surprise cameo on who they got to play the older brother that does a great job of bringing the character to life.  I can't wait to watch it again.

Yeah really enjoying it so far. Betting I get through it tomorrow by how I am hooked haha. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
On 7/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, Omaha-Husker said:

Yeah really enjoying it so far. Betting I get through it tomorrow by how I am hooked haha. 

Lots of fun. Good emotional moments and some laughs. The second to last episode was a chaotic as it gets in the best way possible. I haven’t ever worked in a kitchen, but it feels like they did a good job capturing the environment. Also clearly a love letter to Chicago as well. 

• Plus1 1

Better Call Saul ep. 9

So we seemed to have skipped a bunch of time. Likely however long it takes for Mike to get the lab finished, Gus to flirt with handsome old waiters who know a lot about wine, and Saul to turn into full Saul after Kim leaves him. But not so long that when Walt and Jesse kidnap him he doesn't talk about Nacho.

That leaves 4 more episodes for what? I think we'll have more pre-identity change stuff but I'm not sure what all it would entail that would be interesting other than Walt and Jesse cameos. I feel there will be present day stuff. Maybe he goes looking for Kim at the Piggly Wiggly only to find they don't exist in Nebraska anymore. That's the end of my theory.