Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

Does The Rehearsal get better?  I tried it but lasted about 15 minutes.

Were you familiar with Nathan Fielder previously? 

We watched the entire first episode and it's about what I expected from him; cringey, odd, etc. We got a kick out of it, but it's definitely not for everyone. 

18 minutes ago, GSG said:

Were you familiar with Nathan Fielder previously? 

We watched the entire first episode and it's about what I expected from him; cringey, odd, etc. We got a kick out of it, but it's definitely not for everyone. 

No but I have heard of Nathan Felder before.  Just had not watched previously and then decided to give the show a try.  The cringiness just felt so slow and forced to me.  I didn't find it funny or inventive at all.

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

No but I have heard of Nathan Felder before.  Just had not watched previously and then decided to give the show a try.  The cringiness just felt so slow and forced to me.  I didn't find it funny or inventive at all.

You might check out Nathan for You (I think it's on HBO or Hulu) to see more of what it's like. A lot of it depends on the mark in each episode. I feel like that guy in the first episode of The Rehearsal was kind of a hindrance

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, GSG said:

You might check out Nathan for You (I think it's on HBO or Hulu) to see more of what it's like. A lot of it depends on the mark in each episode. I feel like that guy in the first episode of The Rehearsal was kind of a hindrance

Good to know and yeah I think I'll probably give Nathan for You a watch. 

9 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Just watched it tonight and really liked it. Fun to see Chris Evans in the bad guy role.

Yeah, I commented to my wife that he probably had a blast playing the bad guy for once…..even if, maybe especially because, it was a pretty cheesy over the top bad guy role.

• Plus1 1

It's a couple years old now, but if you have the History Channel Vault, I highly recommend the miniseries Grant.   Detailing the life of Ulysses S. Grant.  The History Channel can still do good stuff when they choose to do history. 

I always found it odd that Robert E. Lee got all the credit of being this great war general while the true hero of the civil war was kind of forgotten about.  Grant captured three Confederate armies (three!), including Lee's army, while no Confederate general captured a single Union army.  Why should Lee be considered the better general?

Just a fascinating and underappreciated figure in American history.

Also, if you don't have the Vault, I bought the DVD set on Amazon for like seven bucks.  Worth it.

• Plus1 1
On 7/11/2022 at 10:44 AM, Xmas32 said:

Also got through The Terminal List which is on Amazon Prime.  It's a little bit of a paint by numbers political/military thriller.  The show struggles a bit in terms of using Chris Pratt as the lead and playing to his strengths which is allowing him to mix in his goofball personality.  He's just so dour and scowling through the whole show.  The thing that was annoying to me is each episode clocks in at nearly an hour a pop and even with those runtimes, the show does a really poor job of building character depth with the villains that Chris Pratt is going after.  Also the show struggles a bit like Ozark does in that it's so freaking DARK, like literally hard to see what's going on.

The action scenes are well done and Antonio Fuqua (Training Day plus a bijillion other action movies) is the Executive Producer so that he made sure that stuff is done well.  If you like Jack Carr books the show is based on his most recent novel.  Carr is a former Navy SEAL so I did enjoy the military espionage parts of the show.  All in all, I give it like a 6.8/10.  The best part of the show for me is the casting of Taylor Kitsch/Tim Riggins.  He's cast perfectly in his role.  He and Chris Pratt have really good chemistry through the show.

We finished this last night. It was fine, a decently made if not kinda obvious show. A few unbelievable parts, and like we mentioned before the sound is so low that we had to use subtitles for most shows.

This played out like a pretty common spy/action hero thriller. We both thought it could have been done in a two-hour movie rather than an 8-hour series. 

7/10 - if you're looking for something to watch, you could do worse.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

We finished this last night. It was fine, a decently made if not kinda obvious show. A few unbelievable parts, and like we mentioned before the sound is so low that we had to use subtitles for most shows.

This played out like a pretty common spy/action hero thriller. We both thought it could have been done in a two-hour movie rather than an 8-hour series. 

7/10 - if you're looking for something to watch, you could do worse.

The show definitely should've been a movie.

• Plus1 1