Star Wars: Episode VII **NO SPOILERS**

• 2 weeks later...

J.J. Abrams is going to direct it.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=787250&affid=100055

Kind of weird that the same guy doing Star Trek isnow going to do Star Wars. I think a lot of people like Abrams and the stuff that he's done, so maybe people will be happy with this, but it does nothing for me.

I've never been impressed with Abrams, and I thought the Star Trek movie he made a couple years ago was really frickin terrible. I mean gawd-awful. But I haven't found many people who agree with me on that, people seemed to love that movie for some reason.

J.J. Abrams is going to direct it.

http://movies.msn.co...50&affid=100055

Kind of weird that the same guy doing Star Trek isnow going to do Star Wars. I think a lot of people like Abrams and the stuff that he's done, so maybe people will be happy with this, but it does nothing for me.

I've never been impressed with Abrams, and I thought the Star Trek movie he made a couple years ago was really frickin terrible. I mean gawd-awful. But I haven't found many people who agree with me on that, people seemed to love that movie for some reason.

I actually liked the last Star Trek and am looking forward to the new one next summer.

tumblr_mb0kxsaaPG1rugtvpo1_250.gif

I actually liked the last Star Trek and am looking forward to the new one next summer.

I'd actually have to agree with you. Yeah, they took a nice shortcut with the whole "now the whole timeline has changed" bit but other than that I thought it was a pretty good effort.

I've accepted that I am in the minority for hating that movie. I actually thought the skewed timeline angle was a pretty clever way to reboot it, but I hated almost everything else. But I feel so alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars fans, admit it: you like scoundrels. And you’re about to get more of them in your life.

Yesterday, The Walt Disney Co. unveiled plans to make a number of spin-off movies set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away — in addition to the post-Return of the Jedi trilogy that had already been announced.

Entertainment Weekly has learned details on two of the spin-off projects: A young Han Solo saga, focusing on the wisecracking smuggler’s origin story, and a bounty hunter adventure with Boba Fett at the center of a rogue’s gallery of galactic scum.

Several sources close to the projects confirmed this was the direction the development was taking, although each cautioned it’s still very early in the process and, well,

. Lucasfilm and Disney declined to comment on the information.

The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and the first Star Wars (now known as A New Hope), so although it’s possible Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, the movie would require a new actor for the lead — one presumably much younger than even the 35-year-old Ford when he appeared in the 1977 original.

The Boba Fett film would take place either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between Empire and Jedi, where the bounty hunter was last seen plunging unceremoniously into a sarlacc pit. Exactly who would play him isn’t much of a complication – in the original trilogy, he never took off his helmet. And in the prequels, we learned he was the son of the original stormtrooper clone, played by Temuera Morrison, who’s still the right age for the part if his services were required.

In addition to bringing back two fan-favorite characters as the leads of their own films, the Han Solo and Boba Fett projects would also allow Darth Vader, in full-on black death-metal gear, to return as a villain, since placing the spin-offs within the original trilogy would mean he is still alive and hissing. That timeline would also open the door for a return from visit with everyone’s favorite degenerate slug-like gangster, Jabba the Hutt.

LINK

Wired has exposed the Empire's military incompetence in their analysis of the battle of Hoth:

http://www.wired.com...battle-of-hoth/

How did the Galactic Empire ever cement its hold on the Star Wars Universe? The war machine built by Emperor Palpatine and run by Darth Vader is a spectacularly bad fighting force, as evidenced by all of the pieces of Death Star littering space. But of all the Empire’s failures, none is a more spectacular military fiasco than the Battle of Hoth at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back.

From a military perspective, Hoth should have been a total debacle for the Rebel Alliance. Overconfident that they can evade Imperial surveillance, they hole up on unforgiving frigid terrain at the far end of the cosmos. Huddled into the lone Echo Base are all their major players: politically crucial Princess Leia; ace pilot Han Solo; and their game-changer, Luke Skywalker, who isn’t even a Jedi yet.

What did the Empire gain at Hoth? It had the opportunity to deal the Rebel Alliance a defeat from which the Rebels might not have recovered: the loss of its secret base; the loss of its politically potent symbol in Leia; and most of all the loss of its promising proto-Jedi in Luke. Instead, Luke escapes to join Yoda; Leia escapes with Han to Cloud City (where Vader has to resort to Plan B); and the Rebel Alliance’s transport ships largely escape to join up at a pre-established rendezvous point, as we see at the end of the film.

At the very most, the Empire’s assault on Hoth killed a couple of low-ranking Rebels and destroyed a few transit ships — which we don’t even see on screen. Instead of crushing the Rebels, it scattered them, leaving them to survive for the additional successes they’ll achieve in Return of the Jedi. It’s a classic fiasco of overconfidence and theology masquerading as military judgment — and the exact opposite of the Empire striking back.

The entire Star Wars universe is crumbling around us!

• 2 months later...