Nice blatantly biased scewer of Pelini by ESPN

hskrpwr13

You can go to every program out there and they think ESPN is against them. But you live in this sheltered Nebraska world you have no real clue as to what is fiction and what is truth.

No, it's not. In fact, this says more about how sheltered you are than Husker Fans in general. Go to any message board of any team and you'll find an "ESPN is biased against us" thread. It has nothing to do with "in this sheltered Nebraska world you have no real clue as to what is fiction and what is truth," it has everything to do with Nebraska fan being just like every other fan when someone says something bad about their program.

Before anyone goes calling out Nebraska Fan for being sheltered and having no real clue, how about climbing out from under that rock and getting a clue yourself.

Uhm....not to speak for skersfan, but I think the "sheltered" aspect means passionate fandom rather than the specific geography. He's actually agreeing with you, Knapp. His posts are at least as "grown up" as anyone on here.

Let's not get too imperious in what constitutes appropriate Husker fan discourse.

Having read the last year-plus of his posts, no, he's not agreeing with me. And it's my job to decide what constitutes appropriate discourse here.

This is the problem with every "the elitists are against us" conspiracy theory.

Sadly, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Pretty soon you DO get tired hearing from the whiniest and most insecure fanbase.

You could make a much better case that the national media has a pro-Nebraska bias. The story is always about Nebraksa's great football legacy, great fans, sell-out streak, the legendary Tom Osborne, and the fact that we're able to do all this in a wholesome cornfed state with a small, incredibly loyal population. In case you missed it, that is Lee Corso and Chris Fowler on Nebraska's very own legacy video, calling Nebraska fans the best, most knowledgeable fans in college football. Not "one of the best" or the kind of hedge you would expect from a supposedly objective national sports reporter. Can you imagine if they did that for another school? ...

But it is kinda funny how some folks here are talking about all the other coaches who are just as bad as Bo Pelini. How do you know those other coaches lose it on the sideline, bark at playes or have confrontational personalities? Unless you know them personally, you got that information from the national media and I'm guessing you didn't think it was biased when you passed it along...

There isn't a game - college or pro - where a sideline confrontation between player and coach, even assistant coach, isn't called out and analyzed. Sometimes it's no big thing. Sometimes it's a big thing. But it's always a thing.

Great post! (edited to highlight a few parts) I agree completely. The Tuberville thing got some serious attention too. Especially when he tried to weasel out of it by saying he was just trying to get his assistant off the sidelines.

Guy, this really is a great post. It's borderline rediculous how after every game huskerboard has a thread about "biased" announcers / commentators. Makes us sound whiney. From what I gather from reading the posts of those who did watch the segment, its sounds like less of an ESPN issue and more of a Desmond Howard issue. Each analyst / commentator has their own oppinion. To suggest that ESPN has their own agenda sounds like a bit much.

That said, I personally feel that Musberger does not like Nebraska, but I don't really have any reason to say why. Maybe its his tone....or maybe its because we lay an egg every game he calls....maybe its just me. Also, I've watched a few games that Brian Griese has called and he is practically having a love affair over Michigan. Its laughable. However, I don't think ESPN has any reason to have an agenda against us. Doesn't mean they don't have idiots with idiotic opinions working for them, but you get the point.

You can go to every program out there and they think ESPN is against them. But you live in this sheltered Nebraska world you have no real clue as to what is fiction and what is truth.

No, it's not. In fact, this says more about how sheltered you are than Husker Fans in general. Go to any message board of any team and you'll find an "ESPN is biased against us" thread. It has nothing to do with "in this sheltered Nebraska world you have no real clue as to what is fiction and what is truth," it has everything to do with Nebraska fan being just like every other fan when someone says something bad about their program.

Before anyone goes calling out Nebraska Fan for being sheltered and having no real clue, how about climbing out from under that rock and getting a clue yourself.

Uhm....not to speak for skersfan, but I think the "sheltered" aspect means passionate fandom rather than the specific geography. He's actually agreeing with you, Knapp. His posts are at least as "grown up" as anyone on here.

Let's not get too imperious in what constitutes appropriate Husker fan discourse.

Having read the last year-plus of his posts, no, he's not agreeing with me. And it's my job to decide what constitutes appropriate discourse here.

Well let me just say as a lowly consumer of this board that I find the constant carping that the national announcers/refs/ESPN are agin' us more tiresome than posters who complain about Bo Pelini.

But I would never want you to threaten those carpers with banishment.

Well let me just say as a lowly consumer of this board that I find the constant carping that the national announcers/refs/ESPN are agin' us more tiresome than posters who complain about Bo Pelini.

If they poison the pool, they will be banned - we've recently banned several people whose sole purpose seemed to be to come here and cause problems. Go check the Woodshed if you've missed out on this.

All opinions are necessary for a continued conversation, so when one person tries to continually veer the conversation on a tangent, we're going to put a stop to it. This has been going on for more than a month now, and shouldn't come as a surprise.

Get over it, it's going to happen every year, every time, at ANY program.

Driving home tonight and listening to a sports channel on XM some guy was bitching that CBS hates Alabama. I mean common, they pretty much are the SEC and CBS is the major provider of that conference. That's just as laughable as McGloin thinking the B1G has it in for Penn St.

I'd hardly categorize myself as a "constant carper". I can't speak for segments that highlight something in other programs because I don't care to research whether the presenter has all of the facts. Since, through local media and such, I believe in Pelini's/Stafford's explanation of what happened, and considering what we see from coaches all over the country, I feel the GD Crew (especially Howard) implied a lot of negative untruths about the P/S exchange (in contrast to the actual reporting that had been done on the exchange earlier in the week). Why did they do this? Ignorance, vendetta, sensationalization, all of it, none of it, I don't know. But it was inaccurate and deceiving to those that wasn't tuned into the local media's reports. Also, they started the segment as if it was going to be about "coaches behaving badly". It turned out to be "Bo behaving badly" (which imo he wasn't).

I started this thread to vent and to point out what I believe was a hatchet job; not to whine that ESPN hates Nebraska. Don't like my stance? Don't read my postings.

A little bit of a different take on this........

My son happened to be touring ESPN HQ today. He told me he knew their primary driver was the NFL, but didn't quite grasp the extent until visiting there.

The NFL is about 50% of all ESPN does (15 weekly programs). It's as if all other sports combined almost add up to their NFL interest.

He asked what is the second most important consideration driving their viewers. They said there really is no second, but if pushed, they'd say college basketball.

That seems odd to me, but then we are conditioned to believe college football is THE thing, and evidently for ESPN, it's not even in the top two.

A$$hole here and I don't get bullied. I need Kapplc correcting me about as much as need a hemroid. Do what you want, think what you want.

I have never been banned nor have I been threatened over a post that did not meet any requirements for banning. Because I do not have this unbridaled love fest for a below average head coach is not grounds for banning. I listen every single day about how great he is doing, how we have improved vastly, but I voice that is not the case you want to ban me.

So your the big boss, big deal. My lifes goal would be to a moderator on a internet board. BIG DEAL.

I would request that you have Eric or Blackshirt read my post and see if it merits banning. If it does do it.

For those that have voiced kind words thank you. I have the feeling the powers(lol) will pull my card in the morning. If so no big deal. This board has been driving me away for the last year or so.

I love this program, not a fan of the head coach, but I am not the only one that feels that way. Gestapo tactics really does not become the board. But that is the trend it seems.

Either way good luck to the Huskers and all of you as fans.

Bob

A$$hole here and I don't get bullied. I need Kapplc correcting me about as much as need a hemroid. Do what you want, think what you want.

I have never been banned nor have I been threatened over a post that did not meet any requirements for banning. Because I do not have this unbridaled love fest for a below average head coach is not grounds for banning. I listen every single day about how great he is doing, how we have improved vastly, but I voice that is not the case you want to ban me.

So your the big boss, big deal. My lifes goal would be to a moderator on a internet board. BIG DEAL.

I would request that you have Eric or Blackshirt read my post and see if it merits banning. If it does do it.

This is why. No one minds your opinion. It's just how you keep trying to hammer on the coach. We get it. You don't like Bo. Move on.

Your opinion is factually inaccurate, and therefore quite idiotic. Here, let me show you how:

Reason you are wrong #1. Bo is not below average. This is because average is defined as an estimation or approximation to an arithmetic mean. You could define this as .500, even wins and losses, or a number of different ways. You can not, however, define average as something that only three head coaches have accomplished over the last 5 years.

Reason you are wrong #2. Bo is doing great. Now great isn't a mathematics term, so it's not quite as quantifiable, but the definition is stated as being "Of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average." As we have already deduced that Bo Pelini's accomplishments at Nebraska are quite high above average, we can factually demonstrate that, at least right now, he is in fact doing a great job.

Reason you are wrong #3. We have improved vastly. You can measure this quantifiably or statistically, you can also measure it with the "eyeball" test. However you want to go about it, viewing this team from many different beginning plot points (2007 before Bo was here, 2008 Bo's first year, 2011 Bo's first B1G year), this team has posted a higher winning percentage, greater offensive efficiency, greater defensive efficiency, and higher national perception and ranking, to name a few categories of improvement.

For those that have voiced kind words thank you. I have the feeling the powers(lol) will pull my card in the morning. If so no big deal. This board has been driving me away for the last year or so.

I love this program, not a fan of the head coach, but I am not the only one that feels that way. Gestapo tactics really does not become the board. But that is the trend it seems.

Either way good luck to the Huskers and all of you as fans.

Bob

Really? Below average coach? There were 8 teams going into this year with at least 9 wins. Bo and team has just generated another 9 wins. That list of teams with at least 9 wins over the last 5 years will be smaller than last. Below average coach? He has set us up to make a run at the CCG. Below average coach?

This is why. No one minds your opinion. It's just how you keep trying to hammer on the coach. We get it. You don't like Bo. Move on.

Agreed. I like his fire and emotion, and feel that anyone who doesn't is kind of naive and weak (boosters included). I disagree with or question some of what goes on under Bo's direction, however, to call him below average is asinine at best. I realize that we have yet to win a CCG, but he is one of what 4 or 5 coaches to win 9 games a year the past 5, and that would be on his first job as a head coach.

I don't have a problem with legit criticism, but some of the statements being made are mind-numbingly ridiculous.