Kevin Sumlin considering Terry Joseph

I'm really trying to understand what has changed so much in the last 20-30 years. Human nature certainly hasn't, and I don't think our culture's attitudes towards money has either, at least not much. So how do we go from coaches like George Darlington and Milt Tenopir to today's landscape? Those guys were both great coaches. Here are the only theories I can think of:

• No other teams had the money to offer them substantial raises
  • They had family reasons for not wanting to move
  • They didn't care as much about money
  • They were good coaches in Nebraska's system, but not thought to be great in other systems, so no one else pursued them

So what happened? How did we go from routinely having coaches here for 10+ years to coaches throwing out feelers left and right (including the head man) after having a decent couple of seasons?

Again, I bring up continuity and I'm sick of not having it. I know people don't think its a big deal. Talk to Oregon and its assistants. No it hasn't turned into National Championships but they are consistently top 5-8, and in contention.

You mean the same Oregon that's had three head coaches in the past six years?

Again, I bring up continuity and I'm sick of not having it. I know people don't think its a big deal. Talk to Oregon and its assistants. No it hasn't turned into National Championships but they are consistently top 5-8, and in contention.

You mean the same Oregon that's had three head coaches in the past six years?

The first guy retired, and it was planned to hand things over to Kelly. And when Kelly left, they promoted from within again, and didnt really replace anyone.

Anyone else have a bad taste in their mouth after reading his comments about it all being about him getting his contract extended and getting paid?

Don't want to make too much of it, but if that is the sole reason you're in it, don't let the door hit ya.

This ^^^

It's plus or minus a 20% raise, more than a lateral move, and with the uncertainty about Bo's job status all year he'd be dumb not to consider it.

No problem with him considering or even taking it. But to basically challenge the A.D. to meet his demands publicly is bush league. If Eichorst gives in, every single assistant will consider using the same public tactic.

I'd be fine if he made his concerns known to Bo and the A.D. privately.

His comment was designed and words were chosen to make public.

Right now the behind the scenes crap is a mess. Coaches are being hampered a bit. If we want to be a top program we need to be able to support the staff so they feel like they don't have to keep the next job at arms length. I'm glad we can find a bunch of money to hire new ADs and title office people but won't pay squat to a recruiting staff. We are way behind on personal in that department as well as resources. Part of that was TO being slower to see that had changed and part of that is current brass trying to determine our path over the next year or so.

Anyone else have a bad taste in their mouth after reading his comments about it all being about him getting his contract extended and getting paid?

Don't want to make too much of it, but if that is the sole reason you're in it, don't let the door hit ya.

This ^^^

It's plus or minus a 20% raise, more than a lateral move, and with the uncertainty about Bo's job status all year he'd be dumb not to consider it.

No problem with him considering or even taking it. But to basically challenge the A.D. to meet his demands publicly is bush league. If Eichorst gives in, every single assistant will consider using the same public tactic.

I'd be fine if he made his concerns known to Bo and the A.D. privately.

His comment was designed and words were chosen to make public.

Right now the behind the scenes crap is a mess. Coaches are being hampered a bit. If we want to be a top program we need to be able to support the staff so they feel like they don't have to keep the next job at arms length. I'm glad we can find a bunch of money to hire new ADs and title office people but won't pay squat to a recruiting staff. We are way behind on personal in that department as well as resources. Part of that was TO being slower to see that had changed and part of that is current brass trying to determine our path over the next year or so.

Time to pony up the money. We aren't going to get to an elite level if our best assistant coaches keep getting offered more money elsewhere and moving on. Or if we are behind the pack in terms of a dedicated recruiting personnel.

• Fire 1

This ^^^

Actually I really liked this. He just came right out and told the truth. I thought it was great of him to say. When people say stupid stuff like "It isn't abut the money" It is always about the money. This is his career, HIS JOB. He is being offered more money, and apparently an extension, at a currently better program. I like his honesty.

Sometimes I think our fandom makes us forget these decisions are made very much like how you or I would change jobs. Location? money? opportunity to move up? security? wife happy?

Agreed Macro. In the end, he's just a man trying to do what's best for himself. I liked his honesty. I always find it funny, you can never please people. Had he went to AnM and said "it's not just about the money", people here would crucify him and call BS. Yet, he was honest and simply said money is a factor ( of course it is, why wouldn't it be) and you still have those people who act like he's a bad guy for saying it. Ha, you can't win.

Colin cowherd was talking about this last week about Bill O'brien. About FANS not really wanting the truth. We act like we do, but when someone says it straight up, we get all upset that they have the "audacity" to say it like it is.

This guy is saying what we all know. It's his dang life. It's his job. He has every right to say it (I personally think it's tacky) but don't get upset when audio-gate comes out and Joseph says stuff like this. It's better than him saying he has no interest BS.

Now, what would irk me is if we match or up the offer and extend...and he still bails. That's bush league.

Anyway, I hope we keep him. I really like his enthusiasm and there's no doubt our DBs are usually pretty good

A friend sent me a text last night. it read: "What is Darlington doing at a high school all-star game". My idiot self didnt even think of our qb recruit Zach Darlington, and with all this secondary coach news, I thought he meant George Darlington. I said he's recruiting for Bo. LOL. He didnt get it. And I felt stupid.

As much as I want TJ to stay, I have no problem with him taking the money and leaving if that is what he decides to do. Wisconsin woke up a little bit when they realized the attrition of their assistants under Bielema were leaving at a record pace for the same reasons. Even Bielema left because Arkansas promised to pay the assistants more.

The university better wake up and realize that this is not Osborne's staff that stuck together for 20+ years. Those days are long gone.

Paging Eric Warfield... Decent player for the chiefs. Grew up in the south (Mississippi and Arkansas) int

Wasnt Warfield on staff a year or two ago?

Warfield's history would concern me. He may have turned the corner, but I'd do a very thorough check on him before even considering adding him to the staff.

I'm not sure the administration is acting like it is like TO's staff. They just need to try and align with what some of the powerhouse schools are doing? I wold be interested to see how we compare to the rest of the BIG and then other conferences (PAC12, Big XII, SEC).

The DBs played well the last couple of years, but the DBs has been pretty good under Bo's direction. Is TJ as good as some of us think he is? His connection to the south is great to have on staff...I am not sure if anyone on staff has that connection. With that being said, has his name recognition brought in the type of player we expect from the south?

I feel it would be great to keep him...however, at what cost? It is a snowball effect that will begin and I am not sure the administration would be able to handle it.