**** What did we learn - Miami Edition ****

walksalone

Miami speed was negligible.

This was honestly my biggest worry in this game (well, that and what goes on between our players' ears), but you're right - they didn't appear faster than us AT ALL.

And someone on some Miami publication I read was counting all the recruiting stars they have, and commenting on how we don't.

Oops. :dunno

In the end, their speed didn't "kill" us.

But watching on TV seeing replays of plays, yeah... They were waaaay faster than us at certain points of attack.

I think that's what gets lost in Pelini's defense. Make them beat us over and over and over; we'll win the game. But at certain times, It was evident that they simply outclassed us purely on talent and speed.

However overall, because we have good team defense at 3 levels this year, we mitigated their speed factor against us.

I think it speaks volumes how far Gerry, Cooper, kalu, Mitchell, et al have come that they couldn't break past that 3rd barrier. We are tackling well and running to the ball well. But Miami has some serious speed.

I would say team defense overall/running game won this game. I texted my brother before half and said Miami looked tired.

Miami may end up not being that good, but I don't care.

This is a game we would have gagged on in previous years.... that sh**ty home loss / near loss full of self-inflicted mistakes, a lack of preparation, and an aggravating succession of opposing plays the defense can't seem to stop.

100 more wins against the U won't ever make up for 1983, but it's a start. That U on the helmet is a powerful symbol.. one that still draws many strong feelings inside, most of them negative. That second half was about as amped up as I've been in a very long time.... in any game.

1) These non-conference games need to officiated by crews that don't have a dog in the fight. When the telecast said the crew was ACC I knew this was going to be trouble and it was. The roughing the passer call neglecting the Gerry INT and likely sealing the game for NU was one of the worst calls I have seen...probably the worst call so far this year in the sport. We should simply refuse to accept non-conference games where the other teams refs are officiating. :madash

2) Fear Ameer! He carried us tonight. :clap

3) Generally liked Tommy's play tonight. Did anyone else hear when the telecast called him "Frazier" at one point? But Tommy needs to protect the ball better and he still seems good for one :wtf INT per game.

4) Kaaya was able to get the ball out quick negating our pressure and you could see that superior athletes against our LB's is a major weakness we need to fix. Kaaya just needed to get it out quick and high to TE Walford and we could not stop it. :o

5) Concerned our defense needs to improve and we got abused and gashed on some plays. Really concerned that our defense has to have serious improvement before @ Mich. St. and @ Wisconsin (considering both of those teams went for over 65 points today). :ohnoes

6) Props to the defense for timely turnovers that were a big part of winning the game. :thumbs

7) Thug U are sore losers. :cry

8) Best crowd I have heard on TV in a long time. It was LOUD on the broadcast. :power

• Fire 1

Roach has some ability, Banderas does not. I think some midnight egg muffins sounds awesome right now.

Nah, people are flipping Banderas waaaaay too much flack. He played a pretty decent game and only had a few missed assignments...just like Cockrell and just like Gerry tonight (who missed coverage twice and didn't wrap up 3 times).

But hey, he's a good scapegoat.

I'm not sure what game you watched, but there is a reason he got pulled and was on the sideline the rest of the game. Roach may not be the answer but he can do the basics that Bando can't seem to get right.

Let's see how things play out, but I don't think you can put Ameer behind Philips and Green anymore. He's really good.

Agreed. At this point, I would say the only RB ahead of AA might be Rozier..........and I don't think that will be the case by the end of the season. Ameer is well on his way to GOAT Nebraska running back. He is something extra special.