**** What we learned - Illinois edition ****

walksalone

Taylor improved throughout his career. The only thing that kept him from getting better was injury.

Statistically that may be true . . . but he still had that same panicked look . . . and the same questions about how much his teammates liked him as their QB.

His game always reminded me of a 14 year old kid who was handed the keys to a Ferrari. Fantastic athlete but his brain didn't seem to move as quickly as his feet.

bullsh#t man. He got better statistically, fundamentally, and with leadership and performance, all while dealing with nonstop injuries that would leave you in bed.

Taylor was the driving force behind the Ohio State comeback in 2011, he was also the leader of the Wisconsin comeback in 2012. He's not the only but he's the biggest reason we won against Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State (all while primarily needing to throw the ball because we were down, p.s.), and he had a 9 to 1 touchdown/interception ratio before going out last season, with a broken foot.

The questions about being liked by his teammates in his later years here are in your head.

Remember Quincy's press conference after the Minnesota discussed HERE it sounded like he was questioning why Taylor was the starting QB for that game. I don't think it's that his teammates didn't like him, it just sounded like they were ready to move on (as was Bo).

I'd say their pass pro is much better this year than in the recent past, but the run blocking lacks at times. Ameer really makes them look good at times.

I'd say the OL is deeper than it has been since the late 90s or early 2000s.

I assume by "at times" you mean "one or two plays per game". Because we are piling up rushing yards at historic rates.

• Fire 2

I think that more than likely QE was just as p***** off about losing the game as we were as fans, and was ticked that Taylor got left in during the loss when he was obviously hurt and ineffective.

I think it's important to make the distinction between LIKING TMart as a teammate (which of course the vast majority did) and wanting what is best for both him (shutting it down) and the team (throwing TA into the fire)... just as Jsneb said.

• Fire 2

I think it's important to make the distinction between LIKING TMart as a teammate (which of course the vast majority did) and wanting what is best for both him (shutting it down) and the team (throwing TA into the fire)... just as Jsneb said.

Very well said.There seems to be this rush to revise history as it pertains to Martinez. He was really disliked by some fans, and now that he's gone and can no longer build on his legacy, there's an effort to tear it down.I just don't get it. That kid gave his blood, sweat and tears for this program. It shouldn't matter if he was crap in front of a camera, he gave everything he had, including his health, for this program. He was a model citizen off the field, he's been a productive member of society since leaving school... and still people would rather speak ill of him rather than leave him alone.

I wish I had more than one +1 to give

Very well said.

There seems to be this rush to revise history as it pertains to Martinez. He was really disliked by some fans, and now that he's gone and can no longer build on his legacy, there's an effort to tear it down.

I just don't get it. That kid gave his blood, sweat and tears for this program. It shouldn't matter if he was crap in front of a camera, he gave everything he had, including his health, for this program. He was a model citizen off the field, he's been a productive member of society since leaving school... and still people would rather speak ill of him rather than leave him alone.

I have been surprised with myself this season when I think about how different we are without Taylor. I have found myself wondering what things would have been like with a more consistent leader this last four years, and I hate to say it but I wonder if we would have been better off with someone else. Again... I haven't really felt like that before, and it surprised me to think that way. I certainly appreciate what he gave to this team, and his desire and heart, but I have been extremely relieved to see the offense not be so Jekyll and Hyde with Armstrong. It was either massive plays, 60+ yard TDs or turnovers, penalties and massive meltdowns.

At the time I didn't feel that Tmart was bad for the team, but seeing how the team is now.... I am left wondering if Bo almost lost his job because he hitched his wagon to a player that was just not cut out to lead a team. If the team keeps improving as they have so far, I think that will be the thing that many people look back on and wonder. Is it revisionist history? I don't know about that, but if we continue to see a dramatic change which carries on through the rest of Armstrong's career it will be hard not to argue that it was Martinez that played a big role in the 4 losses each year during his four years here.

I suck at explaining my thoughts in text, but I imagine people see it like new QB, new team, Bo doesn't suck, TM must have sucked. I know a lot of other things have changed as well, special teams are much better, etc but the QB change is one of the easier things to identify and therefore gets more blame for the team being bad and more credit for the team being good. Our offense is consistently better so far this season, and the attitude of the team has changed as well.

If the team had lost a game already, and had the same symptoms(meltdowns) as previous years on display already you would not be seeing people talk about Martinez. They would be talking about Bo. I predict if we lose 4 games again this season you will see far less complaining revisionist history on Taylor and instead complaints about needing new coaches. If we lose 0-1-2 games and play/win in the CCG you will see more complaining about Taylor and what would have been if Bo never hitched his wagon to him. I know I'm rambling and repeating myself so I'll stop now, hope I've made sense.

• Fire 5

Very well said.

There seems to be this rush to revise history as it pertains to Martinez. He was really disliked by some fans, and now that he's gone and can no longer build on his legacy, there's an effort to tear it down.

I just don't get it. That kid gave his blood, sweat and tears for this program. It shouldn't matter if he was crap in front of a camera, he gave everything he had, including his health, for this program. He was a model citizen off the field, he's been a productive member of society since leaving school... and still people would rather speak ill of him rather than leave him alone.

I have been surprised with myself this season when I think about how different we are without Taylor. I have found myself wondering what things would have been like with a more consistent leader this last four years, and I hate to say it but I wonder if we would have been better off with someone else. Again... I haven't really felt like that before, and it surprised me to think that way. I certainly appreciate what he gave to this team, and his desire and heart, but I have been extremely relieved to see the offense not be so Jekyll and Hyde with Armstrong. It was either massive plays, 60+ yard TDs or turnovers, penalties and massive meltdowns.

At the time I didn't feel that Tmart was bad for the team, but seeing how the team is now.... I am left wondering if Bo almost lost his job because he hitched his wagon to a player that was just not cut out to lead a team. If the team keeps improving as they have so far, I think that will be the thing that many people look back on and wonder. Is it revisionist history? I don't know about that, but if we continue to see a dramatic change which carries on through the rest of Armstrong's career it will be hard not to argue that it was Martinez that played a big role in the 4 losses each year during his four years here.

I suck at explaining my thoughts in text, but I imagine people see it like new QB, new team, Bo doesn't suck, TM must have sucked. I know a lot of other things have changed as well, special teams are much better, etc but the QB change is one of the easier things to identify and therefore gets more blame for the team being bad and more credit for the team being good. Our offense is consistently better so far this season, and the attitude of the team has changed as well.

If the team had lost a game already, and had the same symptoms(meltdowns) as previous years on display already you would not be seeing people talk about Martinez. They would be talking about Bo. I predict if we lose 4 games again this season you will see far less complaining revisionist history on Taylor and instead complaints about needing new coaches. If we lose 0-1-2 games and play/win in the CCG you will see more complaining about Taylor and what would have been if Bo never hitched his wagon to him. I know I'm rambling and repeating myself so I'll stop now, hope I've made sense.

This makes plenty of sense. Others have basically been trying to say the same thing, and some interpret it as hating Taylor as a person and that's bullsh#t. I used to think Taylor was a good qb with great upside, but the performance on the field was just so erratic. As ugly as it was at times, it was just refreshing to see a qb playing qb, with a natural feel for the position, both mentally and physically.

Knapp's also spot on with a statement he made somewhere else, that Taylor's injury 4 years ago was such a derailment in his development that we'll never know how good he couldve been. But it is what it is. All we have is what actually did happen. I'm of the opinion that Tommy right here and now is a better quarterback and better fit for this offense than Taylor Martinez ever was.

• Fire 2