Tim Beck to Ohio State

So you guys are saying the old staff that won 9 games every year missed on a 3-star dual threat who committed to his home state team,......and we already have at least four of those on our roster,............. but the new staff that wins about half it's games know something about this guy? The hatred of Bo by a few is getting deep around here.

Watched or read anything about Joe Burrow? Kid would have all the tools to return us to championships. Not joking or kidding about it either. Terrific thrower who has the ability to run
Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.htmlhttp://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html
Every qb recruit we have has those stats or better and how do you come to that conclusion about Riley when he's never coached one Husker game? High school stats are practically meaningless to me and Rival's lukewarm rating of a guy who plays right in front of their face doesn't get me too excited either. I'm not a big star rating guy but they do mean something.

Okay, sorry for interrupting all the enthusiasm.

Apparently those stars have meaning to Oregon, Bama, Ohio St... the only time stars don't matter is when you don't coach them up and play them to their strengths.

So you guys are saying the old staff that won 9 games every year missed on a 3-star dual threat who committed to his home state team,......and we already have at least four of those on our roster,............. but the new staff that wins about half it's games know something about this guy? The hatred of Bo by a few is getting deep around here.

Watched or read anything about Joe Burrow? Kid would have all the tools to return us to championships. Not joking or kidding about it either. Terrific thrower who has the ability to run
Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.htmlhttp://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html
Every qb recruit we have has those stats or better and how do you come to that conclusion about Riley when he's never coached one Husker game? High school stats are practically meaningless to me and Rival's lukewarm rating of a guy who plays right in front of their face doesn't get me too excited either. I'm not a big star rating guy but they do mean something.

Apparently those stars have meaning to Oregon, Bama, Ohio St... the only time stars don't matter is when you don't coach them up and play them to their strengths.
But he only has three stars, so what do you mean by that? I'm not following you.
3 stars is not a horrible rating.

5 stars = rare prospects

4 stars = outstanding prospects

3 stars = good prospects

2 stars = solid prospects

Source: Rivals.com

Yeah, I agree....he could be a good player and coaching could have a lot to do with that, but what I read was that he's a superstar that Pelini's lousy staff ignored. That doesn't seem to be the case and just sounds like more BS from the Pelini haters.....who just happen to be the same group of guys making these comments in every thread. In that regard it makes me wonder if this guy has any ability at all or it's just a chance for them to take another shot at Pelini. I won't hold my breathe on this 3-star Ohio guy even coming here.

Star ratings aren't always accurate. As far as whether or not this kid is a superstar? If he's got Urban Meyer interested, then I'm interested.

But he only has three stars, so what do you mean by that? I'm not following you.
3 stars is not a horrible rating.

5 stars = rare prospects

4 stars = outstanding prospects

3 stars = good prospects

2 stars = solid prospects

Source: Rivals.com

Yeah, I agree....he could be a good player and coaching could have a lot to do with that, but what I read was that he's a superstar that Pelini's lousy staff ignored. That doesn't seem to be the case and just sounds like more BS from the Pelini haters.....who just happen to be the same group of guys making these comments in every thread. In that regard it makes me wonder if this guy has any ability at all or it's just a chance for them to take another shot at Pelini. I won't hold my breathe on this 3-star Ohio guy even coming here.

Star ratings aren't always accurate. As far as whether or not this kid is a superstar? If he's got Urban Meyer interested, then I'm interested.

Interesting you should say that...same logic can apply to the Tim Beck hire.

Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.html

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html

Most of the services' ratings are based off camp performances. So if he hasn't gone to a lot of them, his rating could be lower than some kids who have to a bunch of camps, even if he was actually better than them. He is a high 3-star, which means if he went to a few more camps, he could have easily been a 4-star. Basically ratings are not an end all, tell all of how good a player is/can be.

Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.html

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html

Most of the services' ratings are based off camp performances. So if he hasn't gone to a lot of them, his rating could be lower than some kids who have to a bunch of camps, even if he was actually better than them. He is a high 3-star, which means if he went to a few more camps, he could have easily been a 4-star. Basically ratings are not an end all, tell all of how good a player is/can be.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet recruiting rankings don't shed light on kids' work ethic/will to improve. Otherwise 5 star busts and 2 star All-Americans wouldn't exist.

Not sure why everyone seems to think Meyer is the best coach in the country?

My uncle joe with a bum leg could coach all that talent to 10+ wins.

lol what is this nonsense

Just saying. Guys good, sure, but best in the country?

Gary Patterson says hello!

The best coaches in the country don't need 5 star talent across the board to be "the best coach in the country"!

Patterson is good no doubt but Urban is a little better.

Patterson is 132-45 in his career. All at TCU

Meyer is 141-26 in his career. Split between Utah, Florida and tOSU.

Patterson started at TCU in 2000 and Meyer started at Utah in 2001.

But the talent level is the difference!

Meyer started Utah in 2003 and left in 2004. The WAC. And the Utes have largely held onto their success since.

Basically, record is not the whole story.

Utah was in the Mountain West then. Yes, it's not a Power 5 conference but going undefeated for a full year is nothing to down play.

I don't know how people can say Meyer isn't a good coach. Part of being a college coach is bringing in the talent, and he has done that. With that talent he has won 2 NC's and is in a 3rd NC game tomorrow. His record speaks for itself.

You ever wonder why he left Florida? Didn't the story sound a bit odd when you heard it? Scoop. The other SEC coaches had the goods on him and gave him an ultimatum - get out of the conference or we turn you in. Ya, he brings in talent. He also beat Bama. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old school boys from the south break their gentlemen's agreement. Stay tuned.

That is one of the most cynical viewpoints of anything I have ever read on the subject. You may very well have written that in total sarcasm, but if not, I just don't understand the cynicism. Is it not possible that he actually left for exactly what he said? Perhaps, he actually felt he had complete imbalance in his life to a point that he was unhealthy and felt it necessary to step away, but he realized he had to come back to his passion after finding a way to balance it out so it didn't cause health issues? I have never understood the principle of going to the most cynical viewpoint first. Not only is the viewpoint expressed in the quoted text incredibly cynic, but conspiracy theorist, as well.

Some people do things for reasons you wouldn't. It happens in every single aspect of life; because they choose a certain path does not mean they have something to hide. Take it for what it's worth, but I do not understand the constant cynic.

The best coaches in the country don't need 5 star talent across the board to be "the best coach in the country"!

Meyer started Utah in 2003 and left in 2004. The WAC. And the Utes have largely held onto their success since.

Utah was in the Mountain West then. Yes, it's not a Power 5 conference but going undefeated for a full year is nothing to down play.

I don't know how people can say Meyer isn't a good coach. Part of being a college coach is bringing in the talent, and he has done that. With that talent he has won 2 NC's and is in a 3rd NC game tomorrow. His record speaks for itself.

You ever wonder why he left Florida? Didn't the story sound a bit odd when you heard it? Scoop. The other SEC coaches had the goods on him and gave him an ultimatum - get out of the conference or we turn you in. Ya, he brings in talent. He also beat Bama. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old school boys from the south break their gentlemen's agreement. Stay tuned.

That is one of the most cynical viewpoints of anything I have ever read on the subject. You may very well have written that in total sarcasm, but if not, I just don't understand the cynicism. Is it not possible that he actually left for exactly what he said? Perhaps, he actually felt he had complete imbalance in his life to a point that he was unhealthy and felt it necessary to step away, but he realized he had to come back to his passion after finding a way to balance it out so it didn't cause health issues? I have never understood the principle of going to the most cynical viewpoint first. Not only is the viewpoint expressed in the quoted text incredibly cynic, but conspiracy theorist, as well.

Some people do things for reasons you wouldn't. It happens in every single aspect of life; because they choose a certain path does not mean they have something to hide. Take it for what it's worth, but I do not understand the constant cynic.

And the winner for the most instances of using the word "cynic" in a post goes to... *carefully opens large envelope* .....BOJ! *award music plays*

He'll do well there I believe. I never had as big of a problem with him, like many on this board. Did he have some head scratching moments? Yeah. All OC's do, and our new OC Langsdorf will too. He'll have some of the nation's best college football players to work with, and Meyer will MAKE him recruit.

Pretty much agree with this. Beck was fairly good and not the problem in my opinion. We had some stellar defenses when Bo got here and I recall just hoping we could get some offense to put alongside the "defensive guru". The defensive minded coach never held up his end of the bargain. Offense improved over time (not perfect as it had bad moments) but the defense was the bigger issue getting blown out in key games. If we had a lights out defense Beck's offense would do most of the time. The defense is the key going forward and needs more improvement than the offense does at this state in the program. Beck sounds like he will have a decent role at OSU. He could probably take that or head coach at lesser schools. As for Bo, he's no longer even in D1. Papuchis...did this guy get a look from anywhere? DC at Nebraska to zilch?

And the winner for the most instances of using the word "cynic" in a post goes to... *carefully opens large envelope* .....BOJ! *award music plays*

Well, it was a few, but you think too much? :dunno:)