Banker is Fired!!

Two other names: Kevin Sherrer (was a DC at South Alabama and did well there and is primed to become a DC again at a Power 5 school) and Mel Tucker (current DC at Georgia who was #12 in total defense this past season). Both are in the the top 12 in recruiter rankings as well.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeCoachRankings

Not bad choices and also maybe could get DE recruit Beal to follow one of them here. Sherrer is LB coach at Georgia and Beals lead recruiter.

As a bears fan I can't say the name Mel Tucker excites me

Nebraska was 19th in total defense this year but FWIW, played 8 of their 12 regular season games against schools in the bottom half of the country in offense.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I didn't think Banker was terrible this year. Against Iowa, he put 8 in the box to stop the run and the players couldn't do it. That's on them, not Banker.

I'm curious what the story is here. Did Riley tell Banker he was done or did Banker tell Riley he didn't want to coach anymore? The pressue at UNL is different than at OSU.

• Fire 1

Wish List:

1. Aranda

2. Wilcox

Rex Ryan would be awesome, and not sure why I have read Rob Ryan's name on here given he has had awful defenses in the NFL. Also, does anyone know if NFL Coordinators do well in college? The head coaching transferring doesn't seem to work between levels.

Awful defense in the NFL doesn't mean he will have aweful D in college. And awful defense isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when speaking of Rob Ryan's defensive coaching career. Yeah his last four years have been rough in the NFL on some pretty terrible teams with not much to work with. But his coaching career as a whole is damn impressive.

Coordinator at Hutchinson Community College in 1996. Ryan's defense led the nation in total defense and in sacks . They also set a national record by forcing 49 turnovers.

In 1997 Ryan coached as DC at Oklahoma State. While at Oklahoma State their defense continually ranked among the best in the nation, also he was named Coordinator of the Year in 1997.

In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the defense finished among the nation top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense, and total defense.

The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense

1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways.

As linebackers coach for New England Patriots In 2003 the Patriots ranked first in the NFL in points allowed while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense.

In 2001, the Patriots contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchiose history and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tesy Bruschi.

In 2006, the Raiders ranked third in yards-per-game.

Ryan's Saints defense finished well statistically in 2013, including fourth in fewest points-per-game and second for fewest passing yards allowed.

Dude has two super bowl rings.

Nebraska was 19th in total defense this year but FWIW, played 8 of their 12 regular season games against schools in the bottom half of the country in offense.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I didn't think Banker was terrible this year. Against Iowa, he put 8 in the box to stop the run and the players couldn't do it. That's on them, not Banker.

I'm curious what the story is here. Did Riley tell Banker he was done or did Banker tell Riley he didn't want to coach anymore? The pressue at UNL is different than at OSU.

I mean, when the entire team can't tackle vs iowa or Tennessee or ohio state, that has to be at least a little bit to do with coaching.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I mean, when the entire team can't tackle vs iowa or Tennessee or ohio state, that has to be at least a little bit to do with coaching.

Maybe. These kids have been tackling their whole lives. Somehow they forgot how to against Iowa and Tennessee? Losing Sam was a huge deal as well. My point is Banker put them in positions to achieve, and they didn't. The players have to take some of the blame for that.

It's all very interesting. Riley never fired a coach at OSU. He's now fired three. I hope it's a sign that he REALLY wants to win and win big at UNL.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94thIowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

Maybe. These kids have been tackling their whole lives. Somehow they forgot how to against Iowa and Tennessee? Losing Sam was a huge deal as well. My point is Banker put them in positions to achieve, and they didn't. The players have to take some of the blame for that.

It's all very interesting. Riley never fired a coach at OSU. He's now fired three. I hope it's a sign that he REALLY wants to win and win big at UNL.

Yeah guys usually dont start burning bridges in their 60's

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

Gee, I guess nebraska should hire me as the defensive coordinator if that's the case.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

Gee, I guess nebraska should hire me as the defensive coordinator if that's the case.

Can you produce a Top 20 defense? Can you start right away? :)

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

Can you produce a Top 20 defense? Can you start right away? :)

I'll quit my job right away.

• Fire 1