Banker is Fired!!

Everyone here is right. Riley can't (and wouldn't) fire his 20-year DC for a nobody. And he sure as hell isn't replacing a 20-year DC with a the nation's most up-and-coming, promising-LB-coach-who-could-make-a-good-DC. Please knock that off.

He's getting someone with extensive DC experience at D1-Power 5 and potentially NFL level. We just gotta figure out who.

• Fire 1

Nebraska was 19th in total defense this year but FWIW, played 8 of their 12 regular season games against schools in the bottom half of the country in offense.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I didn't think Banker was terrible this year. Against Iowa, he put 8 in the box to stop the run and the players couldn't do it. That's on them, not Banker.

I'm curious what the story is here. Did Riley tell Banker he was done or did Banker tell Riley he didn't want to coach anymore? The pressue at UNL is different than at OSU.

Gee, I guess nebraska should hire me as the defensive coordinator if that's the case.

Can you produce a Top 20 defense? Can you start right away? :)
We had a top 20 defense this year... better question is can you recruit!?

Geez, lots of "we should get this guy". Ya, it's a message board but geez, so glad we are not selecting a DC ... we are all over the board. No offense ... but some of this is almost humorous. Don't get me wrong ... it was a fun read.

I have no clue where the mind of Riley is on this ... but I will wait and see this narrowed down to 5-6 folks before I formulate some thoughts. Some of you guys form such "rock solid" beliefs so quickly. It's quite humorous.

• Fire 1

Nebraska was 19th in total defense this year but FWIW, played 8 of their 12 regular season games against schools in the bottom half of the country in offense.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

It also helped that we had a good TOP. Our YPP under Banker were 5.9 in 2015, and 5.53 in 2016. That's the worst since 2007, against not good offenses.

Anybody know what Mike Brown is up to? He played on some pretty good defenses for the bears. Plus he doesn't really run the risk of getting hurt coaching

Last I heard doing a coaching internship with Ron Rivera
Pretty good person to work under. Rivera learned from buddy Ryan as a player and had some good defenses as DC while brown was playing.

Who is tracking flights?

OMG are we still really that big of a deal? I figured it would be more like some dude shows up in a rental car, and we take him to Mc D's for lunch.

I'd hope they bring him to Cane's at least...

I hope they get a great Xs and Os guy myself. I want him to be able to recruit, but let's get some creativity and ingame adjustments.

Not saying to hire Claeys or Sawvil, but their game plan against Washington State in the bowl was amazing. To overcome the loss of that many DBs against an amazing passing team. Xs and Os won that game.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I didn't think Banker was terrible this year. Against Iowa, he put 8 in the box to stop the run and the players couldn't do it. That's on them, not Banker.

I'm curious what the story is here. Did Riley tell Banker he was done or did Banker tell Riley he didn't want to coach anymore? The pressue at UNL is different than at OSU.

Gee, I guess nebraska should hire me as the defensive coordinator if that's the case.

Can you produce a Top 20 defense? Can you start right away? :)
We had a top 20 defense this year... better question is can you recruit!?

That's a paper number. Total Defense (where that number comes from) doesn't really mean much. Our YPP (a much more indicative number) was 5.53, good for 53rd nationally.

• Fire 1

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I mean, when the entire team can't tackle vs iowa or Tennessee or ohio state, that has to be at least a little bit to do with coaching.

Maybe. These kids have been tackling their whole lives. Somehow they forgot how to against Iowa and Tennessee? Losing Sam was a huge deal as well. My point is Banker put them in positions to achieve, and they didn't. The players have to take some of the blame for that.

It's all very interesting. Riley never fired a coach at OSU. He's now fired three. I hope it's a sign that he REALLY wants to win and win big at UNL.

Tackling isn't a binary element of the game where you either know how to tackle or don't. The biggest component of tackling is being in a position to do it in the first place, so I disagree that Banker literally "put them in positions to achieve." Nebraska's defense has not played fundamental football consistently under Banker and they too often struggle with their fits and positioning on the field.