Banker is Fired!!

Nebraska was 19th in total defense this year but FWIW, played 8 of their 12 regular season games against schools in the bottom half of the country in offense.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I don't know where you got this from, but all of these numbers are wrong.

We were 30th in yards/game and 53rd in yards/play

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Total Offense Rank (total yards/game)

Oregon 15

Ohio St 31

Tenn 40

Wyo 48

Ind 56

NW 73

Pur 80

Wis 89

Mary 94

Minn 107

Fresno 120

Iowa 121

Illinois 123

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

2 offenses in the top quarter, 5 offenses in the bottom quarter

• Fire 2

Nebraska was 19th in total defense this year but FWIW, played 8 of their 12 regular season games against schools in the bottom half of the country in offense.

Wisconsin 64th

Northwestern 67th

Maryland 82nd

Purdue 91st

Minnesota 94th

Iowa 117th

Fresno State 122nd

Illinois 125nd

I don't know where you got this from, but all of these numbers are wrong.

We were 30th in yards/game and 53rd in yards/play

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Total Offense Rank (total yards/game)

Oregon 15

Ohio St 31

Tenn 40

Wyo 48

Ind 56

NW 73

Pur 80

Wis 89

Mary 94

Minn 107

Fresno 120

Iowa 121

Illinois 123

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

I said this last night. Our "ranking" on defense was probably due to more of the inept offenses we played, rather than the quality of our defense. 7 teams ranked 80th or below. The fact that we let Iowa , who had a horrible offense hang 40 on us, sure didn't help. I also think that giving up 3 TD immediately after our scores in the bowl game only added to the situation. I understand this was not based on 1-2 games. This wasn't a knee jerk decision, but the two examples I gave are exactly what Banker's defensive have been like and would have continued to be.

I'm interested to hear some of the DC candidates.

On another note, with the departure of Stewart, does this open up a position for Tavita Thompson to be promoted to a full time assistant?

Also, I think the savage in Mike Riley has been awakened. His golly gee shucks persona and pocket full of Werther's originals is just hiding a monster that's been lying dormant for the last 20 years.

On another note, with the departure of Stewart, does this open up a position for Tavita Thompson to be promoted to a full time assistant?

Also, I think the savage in Mike Riley has been awakened. His golly gee shucks persona and pocket full of Werther's originals is just hiding a monster that's been lying dormant for the last 20 years.

If the NCAA adds a 10th assistant (which it sounds like will happen), we'll have three spots to fill, and I would imagine that Tavita would get one of them.

A 10th assistant coach is likely to be approved, so that most likely would go to Thompson. But, is Thompson the best that NU can do for that role? I think that's worth a discussion, and there has been a thread or 2 about that.

• Fire 1

If we are going to make a "splash hire", the only way it's going to happen is 1. Pay the man a lot of money and 2. name him DC/Co-HC. The lure of being the HC in waiting might be the only thing that makes a big name truly interested in coming here when they are getting paid comparable money elsewhere

I don't think the head coach in waiting every really works. Jimbo Fisher at FSU, is the only one that I can think that it worked out. Plus, that can backfire in recruiting, because the kids won't know who the real head coach is going to be, and when the head coach is actually going to step down.

Is there some thought that this job may not be as desirable as everyone thinks, especially with the supposed pressure on Riley to make these moves. If the job doesn't get done in two years the new DC may be looking for a new job. Obviously if you believe in yourself as a coach that shouldn't be in your mind, but there could be some perceived risk joining this staff at this time

• Fire 1

Just dawned on me that Banker was one of the most out-spoken about our lack of talent.

Yet we completely changed defensive schemes from his first year and only got "improvement" because of how bad we were before. Terrible to below-average isn't anything to write home about.

So perhaps he'd convinced himself that it was the players fault and not looking in the mirror enough.

Is there some thought that this job may not be as desirable as everyone thinks, especially with the supposed pressure on Riley to make these moves. If the job doesn't get done in two years the new DC may be looking for a new job. Obviously if you believe in yourself as a coach that shouldn't be in your mind, but there could be some perceived risk joining this staff at this time

If the job doesn't get done, the whole staff will be looking for new jobs.

Football coaches know the business they get in, and they know there are inherent risks at every school. Most assistant coaches only have 1 year contracts, although we are starting to see that extended to 2 years now. Even then, it's a job that most coaches know they won't be at a school for very long. If they do well, they will leave for a promotion (better job title or better school), if they don't do well, they will be fired.

Just dawned on me that Banker was one of the most out-spoken about our lack of talent.

Yet we completely changed defensive schemes from his first year and only got "improvement" because of how bad we were before. Terrible to below-average isn't anything to write home about.

So perhaps he'd convinced himself that it was the players fault and not looking in the mirror enough.

Interesting point, and it's been pointed out by the recruitniks that he wasn't involved in the recruiting of the current commits. Sounds like he wants to put a lot of blame on the talent, but isn't getting the job done to upgrade that talent.