What did we learn-Game 5 Illinois

JJ Husker

I'm a day late, but I was listening to the Big Red Overraction show from Friday night, and the guys that Riley's demeanor looked different. His behavior on the sidelines, and his postgame, looked different than he has in the past. Start about halfway through.

Hell, there was an entire segment titled "Is Riley Tired?"

This isn't people "projecting" or making stuff up just to be jerks. It's a noticeable thing that people have picked up on. Could it be him being sick, or just had a rough day, sure. But it's not like he's been before.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

You really should only report posts that violate the rules and not ones that follow them.  Wastes the mods/admins time otherwise.

Uh....

14 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

This post makes me wish you wouldn't return to post after it.  

Yeah, that's called attacking the poster. Let's not do it.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

I'm a day late, but I was listening to the Big Red Overraction show from Friday night, and the guys that Riley's demeanor looked different. His behavior on the sidelines, and his postgame, looked different than he has in the past. Start about halfway through.

Hell, there was an entire segment titled "Is Riley Tired?"

This isn't people "projecting" or making stuff up just to be jerks. It's a noticeable thing that people have picked up on. Could it be him being sick, or just had a rough day, sure. But it's not like he's been before.

Are the people talking Doctors though?

On 9/30/2017 at 4:13 PM, brophog said:

The problem I have with that is he didn't do anything different this game, he just got better results. 

I would honestly have to disagree. You could see him looking around the field, back and forth, looking for everyone in his progressions as opposed to just locking into one guy like he's done so much. 

That's the reason he was finding those intermediate routes over the middle so much - He was actually scanning the field!

Seems like Bootle should definitely be starting over Lee. I've actually thought Jackson looks fine in coverage, he just has some bad missed tackles. He blew up some of the bubble screens against Oregon/Northern Illinois, so it seems like more of a tackling in space issue than not being physical.

Decker is already our best center in a long time. Definitely an improvement over the string of walk-ons we've had - I love the walk-ons, but it seems like our center recently has been whichever undersized guy they trust to make the calls, regardless of their ability to actually handle a DT.

If we give him time, Lee can avoid most of the bad decisions. Still one really bad one (thanks for the save, Hoppes), but we should be used to that. You have to go back a long time to find our last QB who wasn't good for at least one ball straight at a defender per game.

• Plus1 1

There is not one QB in history that didn't or doesn't throw a bad pass now and then.   Nobody can be perfect.   Interceptions do happen and not always are the result of anything more than a defender making a good play or any number of possible things happening.  The best arms in baseball throw a few bad pitches or overthrow a baseman.ha

The issue comes when those bad throws  become too frequent and the real good ones become infrequent.

Even Johnny Unitas, Bart Star, Elway, Montana, Brady, et al threw a few interceptions.

Overall, Lee played pretty well - that's the fact.   Now, we need him to continue to play like that and he will turn out to be about like the hypesters suggested, although he is NOT going to be an NFL pick this coming Feb.  He will need atleast to finish the year exceptionally well and then follow that up with another fine season next year and then, maybe, he will be drafted or get a free agency contract.   We're gonna need to see him actually throw and complete the long ball and a lot more screens, etc.  He will also need to show more mobility and pocket awareness.

I suspect he can do all of the above but obviously, if we dump Riley and company, Lee may not even be our QB next year.  He could easily be supplanted by the next Tommy Frazier or w

Eric Crouch or Scott Frost.       

We make the wholesale change back to future with a real honest to goodness 'option' attack (not the almost option spread option),, who knows how things play out. 

As for Riley looking 'down' or tired or not himself, well, that seems pretty obvious to me -  not many people are going to be their usual jovial, upbeat and friendly self, when the howls and outcry is for a H.C. lynching and sooner rather than later.  Nobody is going to be all happy go lucky when facing the onslaught of criticism from everywhere that he is.   

I guess that's true, he has good size. I was thinking more about Utter/Pelini/Pensick, although I think Pensick was a scholarship player. They played hard, but they just seemed overmatched a lot. At the very least the line seems to handle the stunts and blitzes better with Decker. Could be because they have more games under their belt, or it could be Conrad hadn't played much center and Decker has in practice at least.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There was another post along the same lines that indicated seven of Lee's INTs could have been dumped off successfully to RBs instead of the poor throws made. 

I don't know if that's fair or accurate, but if we did utilize the RB more in our passing game, we'd see better completion percentages and success. But for some reason, Langsdorf wants to underutilize RBs in his offense.  

I learned that we have the ability to drain clock and step on an over-matched opponents throat in the fourth quarter. Progress. 

This game also confirmed to me that Boe Wilson needs more snaps over Tanner Farmer. Wilson is a savage out there and I have unfortunately been less than impressed with Farmer this year. I love what Jerald Foster brings. 

Tanner Lee won't have a better/more efficient game than this one all year long. Enjoy it. First TD was off his back foot with terrible footwork and was late over the middle. Aint gonna fly against Wisconsin/tOSU etc

Starting to think DPE has turned into a better/more reliable WR than Stanley. At minimum, he's more consistent. 

The first 2 games we took 1-2 deep shots per game to Tyjon. Those have stopped for some reason. 

Best game play-calling wise from Langs this year. Mixed in some nice zone runs from the shotgun and some good passing concepts from under center so we weren't as predictable. I liked the addition of the quick slant if the DB is off #1 and we have a run play called under center. We ran this 2-3 times, first one being the Morgan drop that hit him right in the hands. 

Hopefully the NIU game bottomed the team out and they keep building. Beating Wisconsin might be a tough task but I fully expect us to play hard, compete, and be right there going into the fourth quarter. I just don't know that I trust Tanner Lee with the game on the line yet, and that will be the difference in this weekend's game IMO.

EDIT-- one thing I wanted to add. I'd love to see us turn that RPO we run with the bubble and slant into either a wheel route and slant or a bubble and sluggo if the opponent presses both receivers. Illinois crept up on that a few times, seems like an opportunity for a big play down the open sideline there with 1 on 1 coverage. 

• Plus1 1