** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It has been covered extensively and I don't think it's a tangent we want to go down in this thread because it often results in heated debate. It's also not overly germane to this thread.

I'll answer by extrapolating your question to Frost - I think he would be given a significant amount of time to build a program at Nebraska because he's young, talented and, at least for now, likable. This would be particularly true if he treated the fans well, did not embarrass himself on the sidelines, his players did well in the classroom and if they had few off the field issues. At some point, however, it would come down to winning games and winning the games that matter.

The god dam germans have nothing to do with it.

Edited by MacNCheeze
why not
  • Plus1 2

I am without question the most Anti Pelini person on this board from day 1, not even close.  If he had came in and won the 9-10 games a year, and been loyal to Nebraska I would have been fine with him. 

We are at best a 9-10 team.  We are not nor are we going to be anytime soon a NC caliber team even with Coach Frost at the helm.  Took a God of football 20 plus years to do it and it most likely ten times harder to do it now.

Who ever we hire needs the time to get his players his players on the field.  Not as sophomores but as seniors.  Not forced into playing walk ons in some of the most important positions.  He needs to recruit for his system, and develop players.

I have read on this board, that even if Coach Frost is hired he would get 3 years.  Only a few make this totally idiotic comment, but if they are out there, there will be more if the time draws near.

We really only have one chance, the AD needs to get it right, and spend what is needed to get it done.  And we as a fan base need to support that.  I don't care if its the home town boy or a New York city slicker.  The best we can get period.

LOL

And i wanted to make sure that when i brought this up in a scott frost thread i wanted to be clear that it was really only in relation to what scott frost could do here.  I think even if he stunk and did some 7-5 and 8-4s he would be given plenty of time to turn the ship around because he is not like bo but alot like Tom Osborne and i think that is what alot of us are looking for.

20 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

No. Not only did he lose the big games, he got destroyed in them. 

In his later years that is true. I wonder how different things would have been without the extra second against Texas. Destroyed may not be the right word anymore. I think MR has set a new level of futility in big games. How many times in CFB has a team scored a TD on its first 8 possessions?

• Plus1 1

I don't know if Nebraska would do it or not.  I think there are others more qualified.

I will say that Alabama thinks that Saben is a bargain buy.   As they made over 100 million off of his National Championships and that was a few years back.

Winning the NC is the goal of course, and with it comes the real spoils.  Think big BRI

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I don't know if Nebraska would do it or not.  I think there are others more qualified.

I will say that Alabama thinks that Saben is a bargain buy.   As they made over 100 million off of his National Championships and that was a few years back.

Winning the NC is the goal of course, and with it comes the real spoils.  Think big BRI

Good point, I agree that Saban has made them a ton of money, but capturing that lightning in the bottle again is awfully difficult and you just don't know if you've got it until it happens. I'm not sure if the gamble is worth it with Campbell until he gets another season under his belt at ISU. If he does it in back-to-back seasons then he's something. Ames isn't an easy place to recruit to or win at and apparently his wife loves Ames and he's not going anywhere based on comments from him. Of course anything can change and I'm not real familiar with his coaching background. 

59 minutes ago, Enhance said:

mostly agree, but I don't think that's every coaches goal or, to put it differently, their most important priority. Several division one football coaches could've taken leaps to larger jobs by this point but have chosen to stay at their respective schools. Pat Fitzgerald and Gary Patterson are two names that come to mind.

It all comes down to the coach, naturally. If Frost has aspirations of going as far up the coaching tree as he can and competing for national titles then UCF isn't the place to do that.

TCU is in a power 5 conference in a recruiting hotbed with a ton of resources. Gary Patterson can definetely win a national championship at TCU if he keeps this up. Fitzgerald is an alum at NW. If that wasnt the case I think he would have left eventually. 

1 hour ago, skersfan said:

Iowa State is small compared to Nebraska and all Big10 and SEC schools no question.  But they draw a lot of money from the Conference TV pay.   All teams now can pay the going rate if they want to win.  Almost every major conference team has facilities close or equal to ours.  It isn't like it used to be.  We were a bully Now there are a lot of big boys with all the toys.

Again a question of ethics on what happens at UCF.  Coach Frost has invested in the facilities as I understand, not just his assistants.  I would truly like to see either one of them take the job if offered, but would not be a bit surprised to see them both stay right where they are. 

I honestly would be surprised if Coach Frost left UCF this year.  Coach Campbell, do not have a clue.  Iowa State getting a taste of the big time, could make them open the pocket book.  The real question I have is whether Nebraska ever will.  I remember Coach Osborne prior to the (hiring) of pelini, saying he thought he could get a quality head coach for less than 500K.  He was not in touch with reality in any way.  Coach Frost might come home for less than the norm, but anyone the level we need is going to be above 5.5 Million is my guess.  Add Pelini's and Coach Riley's settlement, your spending a lot of money.  Will we is the question. 

Iowa St most certainly does not have the facilities and resources comparable to the other Big 12 teams, let alone Nebraska. Tv money does not just go to the football program, it goes to all athletics and Im not sure of their profit margin but Im pretty sure Nebraska is one of the few athletic depts that actual makes a profit at the end of the year. 

Edited by Rike Miley

1 minute ago, Rike Miley said:

TCU is in a power 5 conference in a recruiting hotbed with a ton of resources. Gary Patterson can definetely win a national championship at TCU if he keeps this up. Fitzgerald is an alum at NW. If that wasnt the case I think he would have left eventually. 

Fitzgerald doesn't leave NW because he has one of the best jobs in the country in regards to expectations. If he wins he's viewed as a great coach doing a lot with a little. He can lose and it's 'expected.' How cozy is that? Real cozy. His alumni status might play a minor role but if Fitzgerald were truly driven to win a national championship, as you suggest is every coach's goal, then there's no way he'd still be at NW. 

There are plenty of coaches who stay at lower tier schools and never jump to P5, too.

It's not that big of a deal either way. I agree you're probably right in most cases in division one. I think it's bold to say it applies to all.

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

In his later years that is true. I wonder how different things would have been without the extra second against Texas. Destroyed may not be the right word anymore. I think MR has set a new level of futility in big games. How many times in CFB has a team scored a TD on its first 8 possessions?

Well, the reason this happened in later years is because the effort in recruiting wasn't there with that staff. 

44 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Fitzgerald doesn't leave NW because he has one of the best jobs in the country in regards to expectations. If he wins he's viewed as a great coach doing a lot with a little. He can lose and it's 'expected.' How cozy is that? Real cozy. His alumni status might play a minor role but if Fitzgerald were truly driven to win a national championship, as you suggest is every coach's goal, then there's no way he'd still be at NW. 

There are plenty of coaches who stay at lower tier schools and never jump to P5, too.

It's not that big of a deal either way. I agree you're probably right in most cases in division one. I think it's bold to say it applies to all.

I think in college ranks and below there are still some guys who see their job goals as developing players both on and off the field to succeed in whatever they do. Winning games is the secondary goal. Obviously these guys aren’t at top programs where they have to win. 

To be clear, I’m not saying you can’t do both things. But I think particularly with some of the older coaches, the mentor aspect becomes more important 

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Maybe you are right. Im not sure if a big school has even aproached Fitzgerald and offered him to coach. He definetely would not leave for something he considered a lateral move. 

I just cant fathom someone doing a job with hours that long: countless hours of film, pregaming strategy, recruiting and time away from their family if their goal is not to win some sort of championship at the highest level. Maybe some coaches just want to do it because they dont want a regular job and love the game, but most coaches I know, even coaches in pee wee/little league and high school are super competitive and cant stand to lose.

Edited by Rike Miley