** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So assuming Riley is out tomorrow morning and the position is officially open. Could scott frost sign a contract in the afternoon and delay the announcement a week? Or would the university be forced to announce ? 

He could sign it, but UNL is a public university so subject to Freedom of Information Act requests so everyone would know by Monday afternoon.

31 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Get their shot at what? The Playoff? UCF is a real nice looking team (better than Nebraska obviously), but they're nowhere near one of the four best teams in the country, and that's what this is all about isn't it? Does anyone really believe that they're better, or even have a better resume, than Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Miami, Georgia, Wisconsin, Ohio St., Penn. St., etc.? This is not shot at UCF, or Scott Frost; but I doubt UCF is really one of the top 15 teams in the country, and they even if they are their resume isn't good enough to prove any different.

No one is saying that UCF is one of the top 4 teams in the country, we are definitely better than #15. It is hard to go undefeated and this team has remained undefeated without a bye.

And Nebraska fans should know from experience the difference between their undefeated and 1-loss teams. 

I believe the argument is that UCF should get a chance to show how good this team is. That's really not possible in the current set-up. But if there were an 8-team playoff UCF should absolutely be included. 

When we went to the Fiesta Bowl, everyone was talking about what a joke we were and how Baylor was going to blow us out and how few fans we would bring. We beat up on Baylor, bring a bunch of fans, and everyone just shrugs, "Wow, that was weird. I should forget that ever happened." We finish #10 and that was a conservative ranking. 

We have a better team now that is tired and due for a loss. And if (when) that loss happens, all the P5 are going to say, "See! Told you they weren't for real. Stupid mid-major!" What more can we do?

If this team goes undefeated, I just hope it's not met with another shrug. "That's what you get for playing in the AAC..."

2 minutes ago, bisonwiches said:

He could sign it, but UNL is a public university so subject to Freedom of Information Act requests so everyone would know by Monday afternoon.

It can take days or weeks to file a FOI Act request and get a response.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I don't know if that specific scenario has happened. I know that Steve Spurrier won a Heisman at Florida and then went back there to coach. Not exactly the same, I think he's from Tennessee, but similar. Jim Harbaugh to Michigan is also similar, but not the same. He didn't win a Heisman like Spurrier either.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Where the guy was an extremely successful QB and then went back to his alma mater to be the head coach.

Philip Fulmer did it for Tennessee.

10 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I don't know if that specific scenario has happened. I know that Steve Spurrier won a Heisman at Florida and then went back there to coach. Not exactly the same, I think he's from Tennessee, but similar. Jim Harbaugh to Michigan is also similar, but not the same. He didn't win a Heisman like Spurrier either.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Where the guy was an extremely successful QB and then went back to his alma mater to be the head coach.

Mike Gundy >> Okie State

8 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

No one is saying that UCF is one of the top 4 teams in the country, we are definitely better than #15. It is hard to go undefeated and this team has remained undefeated without a bye.

And Nebraska fans should know from experience the difference between their undefeated and 1-loss teams. 

I believe the argument is that UCF should get a chance to show how good this team is. That's really not possible in the current set-up. But if there were an 8-team playoff UCF should absolutely be included. 

When we went to the Fiesta Bowl, everyone was talking about what a joke we were and how Baylor was going to blow us out and how few fans we would bring. We beat up on Baylor, bring a bunch of fans, and everyone just shrugs, "Wow, that was weird. I should forget that ever happened." We finish #10 and that was a conservative ranking. 

We have a better team now that is tired and due for a loss. And if (when) that loss happens, all the P5 are going to say, "See! Told you they weren't for real. Stupid mid-major!" What more can we do?

If this team goes undefeated, I just hope it's not met with another shrug. "That's what you get for playing in the AAC..."

Though, in the current setup, it is kind of "what you get for playing in the AAC". I would be more okay with UCF being in an 8 team playoff, although I doubt they're actually one of the best 8 teams in the country.

Here is how I look at it: How many teams in the country would be undefeated with UCF's schedule? I'd be willing to bet there would be anywhere from 10-12 (maybe a few more).

UCF's best win is against Memphis. Memphis' best win is SMU? Houston?..... Having Memphis as your best win isn't going to get a team anywhere near a playoff.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Kiz said:

It can take days or weeks to file a FOI Act request and get a response.

So theoretically we could lock him up, probably hear leaks next week it's signed and be able to not officially announce till next week. I'm sure that paperwork if done filed would get lost on someone's desk ;) 

4 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Good point. Can't believe I forgot about the mullet man.

I looked this info up the other day about Gundy at Okie State:

Winning percentage  .679

Best Finish >>  3rd in the post season rankings of 2011

Worst season was his first in 2005, went 4 - 7

As recently as 2014 went 7 - 6

Ranked in top 20 at some point during the season for 10 of 13 years (including this one)

Bowl record of 7 -4 (did not make a bowl his first year)

One conference title in 2011

Although I'm not a major sports news hound, I don't remember him every being on the "hot seat".  Maybe I"m wrong on that.

1 hour ago, vwaldoguy said:

Does anyone else know, is there any other  football coach that has ever come back to coach his home team that he won a national championship for, in his home state?

Oddly enough, they just had something like this for the Aflac question during Miami/Pitt.  I didnt pay attention to if there were more than one right choices, but the most prominent one was Fulmer at Tennessee.  The question was about undergrads, but Urban Meyer has a post graduate degree at Ohio State.

17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Though, in the current setup, it is kind of "what you get for playing in the AAC". I would be more okay with UCF being in an 8 team playoff, although I doubt they're actually one of the best 8 teams in the country.

Here is how I look at it: How many teams in the country would be undefeated with UCF's schedule? I'd be willing to bet there would be anywhere from 10-12 (maybe a few more).

UCF's best win is against Memphis. Memphis' best win is SMU? Houston?..... Having Memphis as your best win isn't going to get a team anywhere near a playoff.

Yep. No disrespect to UCF intended but this is the truth. I think there are probably more then 10 teams that would be undefeated with that schedule honestly. Off the top of my head Penn State, Ohio St. , Oklahoma and Ok St. , Auburn, Georgia, Clemson. Now add your current undefeateds in Miami, Wisc, and Bama. That’s 10 right there that UCF isn’t even close to. The thing non P5 conference fans always seem to overlook is the toll that week in and week out takes on your team. Look at the Big 10 for example. Iowa and Northwestern may not be great but they are better then anything on UCF schedule. 

Nebraska might even be bowl eligible with that schedule :)

Edited by olddominionhusker
  • Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

This is the trap we're in. SEC teams schedule OOC scrubs and everyone's like, "It's fine, they have to play the SEC! They should take it easy." Then when they get beat in big bowl games, it's like, "They just had a down year." "So&So played like it was their Super Bowl."

In the AAC, the top teams are beating the teams that will actually schedule home and homes with them, which are middle of the road P5s. Then it's like, "You need to play someone better than that..." and "They need to show more than that, they're only playing AAC teams..."

3 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yep. No disrespect to UCF intended but this is the truth. I think there are probably more then 10 teams that would be undefeated with that schedule honestly. 

Nebraska might even be bowl eligible with that schedule :)

Again, it is tough to go undefeated. USF is a good team and they couldn't even go undefeated with their cupcake schedule. Are there really 10 teams that could go undefeated with our schedule? I'll concede that there are no marquee wins, but beating the crap out of a bunch of decent teams is no small feat. Just because you're favored for every game does not mean you will win them all. 

30 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Meh, depends on the individual. Personally, if the Nebraska game is on, that's what I'm watching. No matter the state of the program.

Yes it does. I realize this is the time for all those who see themselves as The True Fans to come out and say things like this, but for a good percentage of us it is not that difficult to see how non-competitive this team is and it is downright painful to see that, when the Game Plan is so obviously against us, that it is going to be a painful thing to watch. Full disclosure: I will probably have my ears on the Husker game and my eyes on the UCF game.

• Plus1 1