Russia

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Trump's man crush on Putin in his own words

I mean damn, just continues to show that people that look to Trump as the answer are mentally out and have their own personal self interests in mind over anything that could benefit them AND the people they share this planet with. Trump is playing the ignorant card on soooo many people. I have just an extremely hard time even being sympathetic to Trump supporters...you are flat out idiots.

Essentially, Trump approaches national leadership as a business opportunity and not as a leader of the people.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

16 hours ago, nic said:

Zelenskyy for president. Can’t help but root for this guy. 

Is the US still importing Russian oil or did we quit? We don’t need to import energy from anyone if we don’t want to. We could export to the countries that are dependent on Russia. We may have been able to do this somewhat quickly a few years ago. May as well put it in place now because Russia isn’t going to stop.

Biden appears to be  getting around to an energy ban but it's about two years too late anyway.  Russia won't be filling tankers any time soon and China will buy their oil. The more interesting question is will Biden tell the left wing of his party "No. We are going drill our own oil in lieu of 'clean' energy."   I am not optimistic. 

15 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Putin's goals were also smaller in the invasion of Crimea, the "takeover" was covert and their was little bloodshed. A person sitting in the states or any other country could legitimately rationalize that part of that population wanted to be part of Russia. The takeover was still wrong, still an act of war, but it wasn't a crisis like this. 

What he is doing now is trying to subjugate an entire nation and wipe their existence off the map, against their will. He is committing acts of terror on a minute by minute basis. Killing innocents, and destroying infrastructure. This is war, it is an act of evil. 

This is the difference between 2014 and now, in my mind. 

A lot of those "Russian separatists" where put there by Putin with the intent to subvert Ukraine.  It's kind of like Americans entering Texas when it was still part of Mexico.  

I think the difference is that the West was simply caught asleep at the wheel.  There were few battles fought between the invaders and fewer weapons being sent from the West. 

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Russians now shooting rockets at Europes largest nuclear power plant. God these guys suck.

Victor Davis Hanson was on last night.  He speculated that because nuclear is a competing energy source to oil and gas, Putin wants people to think it is dangerous and unreliable. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Biden appears to be  getting around to an energy ban but it's about two years too late anyway.  Russia won't be filling tankers any time soon and China will buy their oil. The more interesting question is will Biden tell the left wing of his party "No. We are going drill our own oil in lieu of 'clean' energy."   I am not optimistic. 

A lot of those "Russian separatists" where put there by Putin with the intent to subvert Ukraine.  It's kind of like Americans entering Texas when it was still part of Mexico.  

I think the difference is that the West was simply caught asleep at the wheel.  There were few battles fought between the invaders and fewer weapons being sent from the West. 

You must not realize how many oil leases Biden has sold since taking office. 

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Victor Davis Hanson was on last night.  He speculated that because nuclear is a competing energy source to oil and gas, Putin wants people to think it is dangerous and unreliable. 

Well he succeeded. Nuclear is a heavy part of my portfolio and it looks like I'm about to be down 15-20% today. 

34 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Well he succeeded. Nuclear is a heavy part of my portfolio and it looks like I'm about to be down 15-20% today. 

USO options will still be good.  Especially with summer driving season coming up.  Up 20% since I put it out there at the start of all this nonsense.  And options obviously pay much more than the 20% once strike price is hit.  Might be a good hedge for you. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

USO options will still be good.  Especially with summer driving season coming up.  Up 20% since I put it out there at the start of all this nonsense.  And options obviously pay much more than the 20% once strike price is hit.  Might be a good hedge for you. 

Thanks for the heads up, a lot of of the guys I follow on twitter are heavy into commodities right now, I'll have to find some of them that are playing oil. Also seems like there will be a an opportunity to play grain prices. Honestly just playing any commodity should net you a nice gain over the next decade. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
25 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Thanks for the heads up, a lot of of the guys I follow on twitter are heavy into commodities right now, I'll have to find some of them that are playing oil. Also seems like there will be a an opportunity to play grain prices. Honestly just playing any commodity should net you a nice gain over the next decade. 

Outside of oil, I’ve never dipped my toes into the commodities market.   I need to learn more about it as I’m probably missing out on some gains like you said.  

9 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

I mean, I can't say I disagree with Graham on this one. But the idea of a US senator actively calling for the assassination of a foreign head of state... damn.

Yeah, maybe then whatever kompromat Putin has on Graham that turned him into Trump personal uhm "boot" licker will disappear too. Let's be honest, that's the only reason Graham would put this out. 

• Plus1 2

Less we forget.  Reagan knew the Soviet Union was a house of cards - but a house holding missiles nevertheless. Perhaps not much has changed in Russia. .  He wasn't afraid of the Soviet Union and called their system what it was - evil.  

His policy in dealing with them, Peace through strength,  resulted in the negotiation of a landmark missile reduction treaty. 

Boy I miss Reagan     Trump isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same conversation with Reagan.  The GOP has slid from one of the best (top 10 IMHO) to perhaps the worst president of all time. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Less we forget.  Reagan knew the Soviet Union was a house of cards - but a house holding missiles nevertheless. Perhaps not much has changed in Russia. .  He wasn't afraid of the Soviet Union and called their system what it was - evil.  

His policy in dealing with them, Peace through strength,  resulted in the negotiation of a landmark missile reduction treaty. 

Boy I miss Reagan     Trump isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same conversation with Reagan.  The GOP has slid from one of the best (top 10 IMHO) to perhaps the worst president of all time. 

Forgot to tell people they might be triggered by seeing Ron.

I show this in class...dude was the best.

• Plus1 1

Putin is now certifiably delusional  :blink:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/putin-wants-normalization-of-global-relations-saying-there-is-no-need-for-sanctions-on-russia/ar-AAUCfMe?ocid=entnewsntp

Russian President Vladimir Putin called Friday for the “normalization” of relations with other states, saying that Moscow had “absolutely no ill intentions with regard to our neighbors.”

Speaking via video link at a ceremony raising the Russian flag on a Kaliningrad ferry, Putin called for global coordination at a time when Russia’s invasion of Ukraine enters its second week.

I think that everyone should think about normalizing relations and cooperating normally,” he said.

He said Russia saw no need to aggravate tensions with other countries, claiming that Moscow’s actions in Ukraine only came “in response to unfriendly actions toward Russia.”

“We have no bad intentions. There is no need to escalate the situation, impose restrictions. We fulfill all obligations,” he said. “If someone does not want to cooperate with us within the framework of single cooperation, and by doing so harms themselves, they will, of course, harm us too.”

The Russian president claimed Friday that his country would resolve the problem caused by the numerous sanctions. Putin even argued that Russia would benefit by developing new skills.

“We will just have to move some projects a little to the right, to acquire additional competencies. But we will still solve the problems that we face,” he said. “In the end, we will even benefit from this because we will acquire additional competencies.”