We don't keep pets in our house, and my wife and I generally think that people who do must be insane. But we are in the minority, and a lot of folks go to great lengths for their pets.

- A neighbor just bought a new house down the street and got a puppy for their children. The neighbors immediately started sharing stories about the puppy tearing up their new house, having trouble training it, etc. Within about a month, the dog developed a rare disease and died. So they got another dog. This creature insanely jumps on everyone and is uncontrollable, still tearing up their new house. And I never see the children walking it or taking care of it. Always the mom, every morning.

- A recent coworker of mine has a small dog who she refers to by her full name (dog's name plus the coworker's last name) in every conversation, takes the dog to a monthly hair salon appointment, is an otherwise intelligent and wonderful person who resorts to high-pitched giddy baby-talk whenever she talks about her dog.

- My brother had to move his family into an apartment for a few months when his new house was not quite completed and his prior house sold quicker than expected. However, they had trouble finding a place that would allow them to bring their dog, finally settling on a less than ideal, overpriced apartment with a hefty nonrefundable pet deposit. The second month in the apartment the dog ate a sock and died, after a few expensive surgeries. When their new house was finally finished, they adopted another dog. A large one, which immediately started scratching up the wood floors and tearing up furniture in their brand new, large, beautiful house.

- The local Facebook group in our town constantly has people talking about their dogs getting out or finding a lost dog wandering the neighborhood streets.

So what gives, dog people (or any sort of high maintenance pet)? Are you all nuts or what? Why do so many of you insist upon turning your lives upside down for an animal that is smelly, messy, and expensive? Is it just for companionship or am I missing something? Come at me.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

We don't keep pets in our house, and my wife and I generally think that people who do must be insane. But we are in the minority, and a lot of folks go to great lengths for their pets.

- A neighbor just bought a new house down the street and got a puppy for their children. The neighbors immediately started sharing stories about the puppy tearing up their new house, having trouble training it, etc. Within about a month, the dog developed a rare disease and died. So they got another dog. This creature insanely jumps on everyone and is uncontrollable, still tearing up their new house. And I never see the children walking it or taking care of it. Always the mom, every morning.

- A recent coworker of mine has a small dog who she refers to by her full name (dog's name plus the coworker's last name) in every conversation, takes the dog to a monthly hair salon appointment, is an otherwise intelligent and wonderful person who resorts to high-pitched giddy baby-talk whenever she talks about her dog.

- My brother had to move his family into an apartment for a few months when his new house was not quite completed and his prior house sold quicker than expected. However, they had trouble finding a place that would allow them to bring their dog, finally settling on a less than ideal, overpriced apartment with a hefty nonrefundable pet deposit. The second month in the apartment the dog ate a sock and died, after a few expensive surgeries. When their new house was finally finished, they adopted another dog. A large one, which immediately started scratching up the wood floors and tearing up furniture in their brand new, large, beautiful house.

- The local Facebook group in our town constantly has people talking about their dogs getting out or finding a lost dog wandering the neighborhood streets.

So what gives, dog people (or any sort of high maintenance pet)? Are you all nuts or what? Why do so many of you insist upon turning your lives upside down for an animal that is smelly, messy, and expensive? Is it just for companionship or am I missing something? Come at me.

So, I guess you aren't a dog person?

• Plus1 4

Before anyone gets offended, I don't really think most of you are insane. This is mostly for humor/entertainment. I know plenty of responsible dog owners with well behaved pooches. But I still don't get it.

It depends solely on the amount of attention and training the family is willing to give.  If the pet is treated like family but expected to behave, it's great.  If the pet is treates like a toy or like furniture, you can't really blame the dog for misbehaving.  We own 2 pure bred Pugs, they are family.

• Plus1 2

I think the stories you've pointed to are more related to the owners than the dogs (they only do their best to live up the the expectations we set with them).

• They are a lot of work, and I think often times people get that cute puppy before recognizing the comittment.
  • They are expensive, between vet visits, grooming, illness, food, kennels and extra costs for deposit and etc it's a long term investment more than just the purchase/adoption price.  People don't always consider that.
  • I guess I'd be curious as to whether your friends speaking of all the damage the dog is doing would in retrospect change their decision to get a dog - dog owners are no different than parents who post about what a PIA their kid is and then share pictures of their kid getting into messes - there are whole web pages dedicated to children writing on walls, spilling things, tv shows that make millions showing children racking their dads etc.

I am a dog person - I only own one of my own, but I love them all.  I didn't commit to her until I could afford to support her very nice lifestyle.  And yes she has a first, middle and last name.  And a standing hair appointment every 5 weeks.  She has a local dog walker, a day care a couple times a week and when I travel she goes to stay with a vet tech that she's been with since I got her.  I pay monthly for dog insurance, and that has helped us cover several unexpected surgeries.  I wouldn't change one thing, she is worth every bit of it, and I don't consider any of it a sacrifice.  She makes me happy, she gets my out and social and has improved my life in many ways - she is a great listener and my best little buddy.

So my question to you parents -   are you all nuts or what? Why do so many of you insist upon turning your lives upside down for an kid that is smelly, messy, and expensive? Is it just for companionship or am I missing something? Come at me.

• Plus1 1

We had dogs when the kids were growing up, so there was always someone around to pay attention to them. Its mostly just me here now and i'm gone a lot. I don't have the time to give a dog the attention it needs, so i went with cats. They require much less attention /work than a dog but are still good companions when im home.

• Plus1 1

There is never a time where my dog isn't ecstatic to see me. He is happy 24/7 and I feel this is good for us humans to be around them. Just better energy, always a friend to have around, go for runs/walks, throw the ball around, good around our kids etc. I honestly don't get how people don't love dogs

I like dogs but don't love them. But I haven't owned one yet and I will after my cats go to heaven. So they might grow on me like cats did.

Right now, the thing I don't love about dogs is how often they ask for attention. And I don't love that sometimes dogs love me immediately upon first meeting them. I feel like I should have to earn it by doing more than existing.

And the thing I love about cats is they don't give away their love nearly as freely as dogs do. I like how assholish cats can be. It makes me appreciate it more when they show affection. My oldest cat once stood up on the desk I was at while I was using my laptop, he looked at me, then knocked a full glass of water over with his paw onto my keyboard which destroyed it. I still love him.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I like dogs but don't love them. But I haven't owned one yet and I will after my cats go to heaven. So they might grow on me like cats did.

Right now, the thing I don't love about dogs is how often they ask for attention. And I don't love that sometimes dogs love me immediately upon first meeting them. I feel like I should have to earn it by doing more than existing.

And the thing I love about cats is they don't give away their love nearly as freely as dogs do. I like how assholish cats can be. It makes me appreciate it more when they show affection. My oldest cat once stood up on the desk I was at while I was using my laptop, he looked at me, then knocked a full glass of water over with his paw onto my keyboard which destroyed it. I still love him.

I had one who did that ALL the time.  I always had a 32 oz glass of iced tea at my ready and I can not count the number of times she knocked it over.   Thankfully it was unsweetened, or the whole place would have been a sticky mess.

as for dogs.  We have two, both good doggies in their own ways - wouldn't trade them for anything, even when they're naughty at times.  They aren't for everyone, but we love them.  And our geriatric kitties.  

The worst is when people allow their dogs to become gun shy then complain about their dogs being afraid of fireworks.

Botched dog.  Not my problem.

• Plus1 1

It's simple, there are responsible and rational pet owners and then there are...uh...."others". We all know plenty from each group I suspect. I love dogs but we haven't had one for about 3-4 years because they do require a bit of work and upkeep. It is nice to be able to just go and not have to make provisions for the dog but most of time I miss having one.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'm with the OP: pet owners are crazy. Best pet is the one that's at your house.

I completely agree with this. I do home repair and I can't count the times I've been at someones house who have dogs that are allowed to crap in the back yard and it is covered in land mines.   Then the same dog(s) after running through the same land mines will be let back in the house to run over the carpet.   I know a mid fifties couple who were single till they married 5 years ago.  They each had one cat when they married.  They now have 5 cats and 4 dogs....all rescue.  I was there about a week ago and the place smelled like a feed lot.  I will happily pet a well behaved dog or cat but have no intention of owning one.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...I am sort of over pets myself.  It is just so much extra work for little return.  

Yeah, I already have a wife, two kids, and Huskerboard to take up my time.

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, NM11046 said:

So my question to you parents -   are you all nuts or what? Why do so many of you insist upon turning your lives upside down for an kid that is smelly, messy, and expensive? Is it just for companionship or am I missing something? Come at me.

Setting aside our biological instinct to propagate the species, children can grow into productive members of society and bring more value into our families and into our communities than simple companionship. Plus, our children give us a reason to want to leave the world a better place (hopefully) and pass on what we have learned. People who have children just for companionship have serious problems!

There are some good posts in this thread that I very much appreciate, but to me the way some people obsess over their pets still seems odd. Historically, early man learned to domesticate animals so they can be kept for food, hunting, or work. Somewhere along the way, someone decided to turn them into friends as well. Later on, people started to refer to them as "fur babies." 

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Botched dog

New band name. Called it!

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

Setting aside our biological instinct to propagate the species, children can grow into productive members of society and bring more value into our families and into our communities than simple companionship. Plus, our children give us a reason to want to leave the world a better place (hopefully) and pass on what we have learned. People who have children just for companionship have serious problems!

There are some good posts in this thread that I very much appreciate, but to me the way some people obsess over their pets still seems odd. Historically, early man learned to domesticate animals so they can be kept for food, hunting, or work. Somewhere along the way, someone decided to turn them into friends as well. Later on, people started to refer to them as "fur babies." 

You are entitled to your opinion - not everyone has the biological instinct to propagate the species, and the contributions of many offspring can be argued.  

Perhaps I misunderstood the intent of your post?  I thought you wanted to better understand why people own dogs and if the investment was worthwhile.  In retrospect it seems you really didn't want insight, but rather an opportunity to find folks that felt the same way and to debate and belittle those who feel differently.  

My point is that I dont' call people odd because they hover over every bowel movement and accomplishment of their children. To each their own. If we're talking history, the way parents raise children today obsessive.  It used to be that parents had children to help farm, to take care of siblings, to carry on the family name and business.  Somewhere along the way they've turned into worry wart helicopter parents that want to be friends with their kids, and give them an easier life.   I used to get kicked out of the house every summer day by 8 am and be told to ride your bike, play do whatever - see you when the street lights come on.  Today's kid is scheduled for multiple camps, is being driven to and from and has their every minute managed by mom or dad.  I had to be out of bed by 8am even on weekends and summers, now I have neighbors that ask me not to trim my hedges until after 9 am because their teenage son is sleeping.  Today parents have trackers on their kid's phones and have check in texts every hour.  They arrange for "play dates" and accompany the children to make sure all is ok.  I have a colleague that was complaining that his daughter was "bored" already after being out of college for 2 weeks and when I asked if she was working he said, "well she did for a week early on and earned some money".  Things evolve.

You have your interests and things you choose to invest in that I do not.  Your last sentence in the OP, while perhaps intending to stir up discussion is pretty condescending.

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

You are entitled to your opinion - not everyone has the biological instinct to propagate the species, and the contributions of many offspring can be argued.  

Perhaps I misunderstood the intent of your post?  I thought you wanted to better understand why people own dogs and if the investment was worthwhile.  In retrospect it seems you really didn't want insight, but rather an opportunity to find folks that felt the same way and to debate and belittle those who feel differently.  

My point is that I dont' call people odd because they hover over every bowel movement and accomplishment of their children. To each their own. If we're talking history, the way parents raise children today obsessive.  It used to be that parents had children to help farm, to take care of siblings, to carry on the family name and business.  Somewhere along the way they've turned into worry wart helicopter parents that want to be friends with their kids, and give them an easier life.   I used to get kicked out of the house every summer day by 8 am and be told to ride your bike, play do whatever - see you when the street lights come on.  I had to be out of bed by 8am even on weekends and summers, now I have neighbors that ask me not to trim my hedges until after 9 am because their teenage son is sleeping.  Today parents have trackers on their kid's phones and have check in texts every hour.  They arrange for "play dates" and accompany the children to make sure all is ok.  I have a colleague that was complaining that his daughter was "bored" already after being out of college for 2 weeks and when I asked if she was working he said, "well she did for a week early on and earned some money".  Things evolve.

You have your interests and things you choose to invest in that I do not.  Your last sentence in the OP, while perhaps intending to stir up discussion is pretty condescending.

Point taken, and totally in agreement about the quality of parenting out there. If you compare crazy parents to crazy pet owners (not all pet owners), then the bad parents certainly take the cake. A thread containing examples of questionable parenting decisions would likely be entertaining.

As to my intent: stirring up discussion, yes. Intending to belittle, no. You don't come across as insane, but I bet you know plenty of pet owners who are!

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...I am sort of over pets myself.  It is just so much extra work for little return.  

Then you're doing it wrong

• Plus1 3

Until you own a dog and you see the unconditional love this thing gives you, you will never understand. Id rather be around my parents dog than be around people I dont know. My dad is 83 years old. He was devastated the last dog we had that died. Took him 10 years to get another. If this dog dies before him, he will be soon after which is hard for me to say, but I know the way he reacted to the last death. 

There is a reason they are called mans best friend and people say dog is spelled god backwards.  Humans can learn a lot from their dogs. They would literally do anything for you and love you no matter how you treat them. But just like any young being, when they are pups, they need structure and to be shown how to behave properly. Some people are just too selfish or lazy to do that and then blame the dog for their poor behavior. 

• Plus1 5

37 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

Thats a good video that shows the companionship side of a human and dog relationship. You also have the dogs that help kids with autism. The dogs that literally sniff out bombs and save human lives on a daily basis in both miltary and police units. The K9 units that work with their human handlers to catch criminals. The dogs that alert their epileptic owners minutes before they have a seizure so the person can get to a safe place. The dogs that jump in front of rattlesnakes and take the bite instead of letting their owners get bit like the story I just read the other day. The dogs that protect houses from robbers and intruders. The dogs that help blind people get around town. The dogs that save people from drowning. 

I can go on all day about what dogs do for humans. I guess my question to you is, even though you dont own a dog, how can you not respect and appreciate an animal that has done so much for the human race? Things that humans are not physically capable of doing at times. 

• Plus1 4

On 7/2/2018 at 3:41 PM, Moiraine said:

tumblr_n1qcd9opUx1tt3yyso1_500.gif

You know what, there are some excellent responses in this thread, particularly @NM11046 and @Frott Scost. I've always respected and appreciated the abilities and work that dogs are capable of (service animals, police dogs, etc), just never quite understood the desire to keep animals inside the home for the purpose of companionship. I still question my brother's and neighbor's judgment in repeatedly bringing destructive dogs to their nice houses, but the rest of you seem all right.

• Plus1 1

Plus you can order "service dog" harnesses of the internet and put them on a random untrained dog and you can take him anywhere you want

• Plus1 1

On 7/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, Ulty said:

Point taken, and totally in agreement about the quality of parenting out there. If you compare crazy parents to crazy pet owners (not all pet owners), then the bad parents certainly take the cake. A thread containing examples of questionable parenting decisions would likely be entertaining.

As to my intent: stirring up discussion, yes. Intending to belittle, no. You don't come across as insane, but I bet you know plenty of pet owners who are!

I will admit that the dog owners that dye their dogs colors are not right in the head.  :-)   

This is timely, cuz if you want to see the love some of us have for the pups, ask how many of us stayed home last night cuz the 4th is a terrible evening for dogs.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

You know what, there are some excellent responses in this thread, particularly @NM11046 and @Frott Scost. I've always respected and appreciated the abilities and work that dogs are capable of (service animals, police dogs, etc), just never quite understood the desire to keep animals inside the home for the purpose of companionship. I still question my brother's and neighbor's judgment in repeatedly bringing destructive dogs to their nice houses, but the rest of you seem all right.

Like I said in a earlier post, puppies are like little kids. Are babies and toddlers born knowing how to behave? No, but they learn over time with structure and training. People who dont want to take the time to train the puppies should not have them. Just like people who let their kids do whatever they want should not have kids.

• Plus1 2

I have had animals around me all my life from horses, dogs...etc.  I've raised and trained both.

All animals can be the most amazing companion you can have....and they can be the most annoying pain in the asses.  It's all in the training and time spent with them teaching them how to act and behave.  

In many ways, they are like kids.  When you properly teach them right from wrong, they love you for it and the relationship can be extremely meaningful.

The worst situation is people who have no clue how to train an animal and don't take the time to learn how to do it.  Then, the animal becomes a problem and then is neglected or abandoned because the owners think it's the animal's fault.  NO...it's YOUR fault.  Either you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place or should have taken the time to learn how to train it.

We had two dogs, one died and one should die soon.  So, we just got a new puppy in March.  MAN...they are a lot of work.  But, now she is coming around to being that good companion.

• Plus1 3

6 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I like my dog more than I like most people.

I don't even know your dog and I also like it more than I like most people.:D

• Plus1 2

Boy this is a weird thread, and while the OP may have differing opinions than myself, I do find it weird that he would call people who loves dogs as "INSANE".  I am sure this is hyperbole, but it's still weird to me.

I myself am a "dog person".  I love my current dog, and I have loved the 2 other dogs that I have owned with my wife.  I am not an "overboard" dog lover, but our family dogs have been enormous parts of our family.  I don't think this makes me "INSANE".

• Plus1 2

47 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I don't even know your dog and I also like it more than I like most people.:D

Hahaha well he’s friendly as can be so I’m sure you would.  He got confused on which bed was his:lol:

5E2766B6-CF52-4F12-AC14-731484D3DCEB.jpeg

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Hahaha well he’s friendly as can be so I’m sure you would.  He got confused on which bed was his:lol:

5E2766B6-CF52-4F12-AC14-731484D3DCEB.jpeg

Caption:

I can't believe my owner won't buy me a bed I fit in.

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Caption:

I can't believe my owner won't buy me a bed I fit in.

Haha funny thing is he has one.  That’s the cats bed:lol:

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

Haha funny thing is he has one.  That’s the cats bed:lol:

I was just thinking, "that's probably the cat's and he stole it".. and then you posted this.  Hah.  

Personally, I don't trust anyone who doesn't love dogs.  I think anyone who doesn't like dogs is Vladamir Putin and Shawn Eichorst plant sent here to America to sow discontent from within.  You monsters!!!

:D

Now cats, I can understand why people don't like cats: they're secretive, they poop inside the house, and can flip out on you just because it is Tuesday.  Cats are evil.

:P

• Plus1 1

We got our dog about 2 years ago and I was really against it. For one, we lived in a smallish apartment. The other reason is because dogs are a lot of work. They aren't like cats where you show them where food and the s#!t box are and they're pretty much good to go. While our dog still pulls the leash at times and may jump on someone when they come in, he's now my little (60 lbs) sidekick. He gets up when my alarm goes off. We eat breakfast together, then go for our morning walk. He's a damn couch hog, but in a good way.

He did get really sick one time. So sick the vet had to x-ray and scope his stomach to look for a blockage. We had to feed him chicken and rice for almost 2 weeks. We learned our lesson though. Tennis balls are only for playing fetch and not for chewing because he will destroy them and swallow pieces, and he only gets natural things to chew on: actual bones, antlers, etc. (No rawhide). He's been good ever since and at the end of the month he's going to go on his first camping trip with us.

• Plus1 2