Greg Bell

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I just think there are 2 responsible parties to a player transferring.  The amount for each varies by situation.  But people seem to only want to discuss one side while the other gets a pass

I see what you're saying here - a loose analogy would be the cliche associated with divorce in that rarely is one person solely responsible for the split. "It takes two to tango," so to speak.

And, yes, few can say with any modicum of certainty what happened. But, going off what I think I know, Frost has been consistent during his entire time here and there hasn't been any hint of him saying one thing in the public and saying another thing in private. His culture and MO are fairly well understood which is why it's more logical to believe (and spend more time discussing) why this may be a Bell issue.

I think we also have to be careful about criticizing Frost for one of 'his guys' not fitting the culture. When I was applying for my first reporting gig out of college, I vividly remember telling my soon-to-be boss I had 'absolutely no problem door knocking, calling the family of a victim, making other difficult phone calls,' etc. Truth is - that stuff gave me a ton of anxiety and I hated it. But, I wanted the job and I wanted to be a team player, so I lied to look good and get the job. I'm not saying Bell couldn't take the heat of the kitchen, but it's certainly a possibility.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I was really happy when Frost landed Bell and I had high hopes for him . It sucks that it didn’t work for whatever reason but i feel we are pretty set at that position so we’ll be fine . Zig is killing it , and a healthy Washington is a dynamic playmaker, Jones , Bradley ,and Mazour for backups were good . I thought the same with Lindsey I had high hopes for him too but his leaving didn’t hurt the team so much. This program is going onward and upward anyone who isn’t “ N” is better off looking elsewhere . 

• Fire 1
25 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

Ultimately that choice is going to go to the player but I’d think Frost or Held would try to at least show Bell the damage he’s doing to himself by leaving now. 

Especially if we are going withthe “Frost is trying to be honest with the kids” line that cropped up with Gebbia

You have no idea if that has or hasn't happened behind closed doors. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I was really happy when Frost landed Bell and I had high hopes for him . It sucks that it didn’t work for whatever reason but i feel we are pretty set at that position so we’ll be fine . Zig is killing it , and a healthy Washington is a dynamic playmaker, Jones , Bradley ,and Mazour for backups were good . I thought the same with Lindsey I had high hopes for him too but his leaving didn’t hurt the team so much. This program is going onward and upward anyone who isn’t “ N” is better off looking elsewhere . 

Love this line and summarizes my thoughts better than I can put into words.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I just think there are 2 responsible parties to a player transferring.  The amount for each varies by situation.  But people seem to only want to discuss one side while the other gets a pass

I think decisions the coach has made has pushed back the recovery of this program farther out than anyone realizes and I hope I’m wrong in that thought.  

Thats all I’m going to say about it anymore.  

Here's a true fact, as the defenses got tougher Bell's production decreased just as Ozigbo's production increased. That has little to do with the coaching and quite a bit to do the players. Oz has been through this before and I am willing to bet his desire to excel was much greater than that of Bell. Each person handles adversity differently and Bell choose to quit and walk away. Good luck to Bell with his future.  

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I never said that Bell’s departure was the fault of the staff.  My comment was about people in here ONLY blaming the player for leaving and asking if the coach has ANY responsibility for any of the players leaving

It seems pretty one-sided. No idea how the staff takes any blame.

• Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell