Greg Bell

49 minutes ago, lo country said:

Not sure about players leaving.  Unsure what the staff did or didn't say or do.  I do think the staff is learning and does have some blame in the losses.  Frost has mentioned as much talking about getting better play calling on 3rd downs.

Watching game day now.  The guys are surprised we are winless, but talked about the lack of discipline, turn overs, miscues that shows how many guys are not picking up what Frost is putting down.  All of them still think Frost is the right hire.  The road to redemption is longer than I had anticipated. I'm guessing 3-5 years....

If the play call works....genius!  If it doesn't.....fire the coach!

At different times, people wanted to run both Osborne and McBride out of town, right?......

Greg Bell got caught from behind in the open field, and couldn't pick up a yard when needed to move the sticks.  But he should be the starter?.....…riiigghht.

Every week that goes by, we see the devastating effects Riley had on this program.  Frost will right it.

13 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I never said that Bell’s departure was the fault of the staff.  My comment was about people in here ONLY blaming the player for leaving and asking if the coach has ANY responsibility for any of the players leaving

So, you don’t really have a criticism of the staff in this case but rather are playing devil’s advocate, or more aptly asking others to play devil’s advocate, for a “fair and balanced” approach? I would argue that not every issue needs to have two sides. It seems there is a clear consensus in this case. You will probably need to provide an actual counterpoint argument, rather than asking for others to do so.

• Plus1 6

20 hours ago, InOmaha said:

Kids are fragile and don't like criticism.  I see it at work with new hires.  You have to pull them along slowly or you go through a pile of them before you find a tough one.  They can't take the mental abuse I got as a new employee out of college.  The latest fad nationwide is having their moms come with them to interviews.  I crap you not.  This was back in 2013 and I doubt it's gotten better.

Look at all the drama they do now to "select" a school with hats and junk in videos they post.  My dad would have slapped me in the back of my head and my grandma would have made fun of me for being such a drama queen.  You make a decision and tell the person to their face.  Put it in writing.

Yeah those kids that bring mom and dad to the interview won't be getting hired if I'm doing the hiring.

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Except that Bell did better against the better run defenses and Oz had a big day against the worst one we faced.

But .... facts

Ozigbo is the far superior back, Bell cost us multiple drives trying to dance for 1 yard instead of running for 1 yard.  Also facts

I've not read all the posts but I also wonder if the kids dropping out is due to the demanding nature of the staff and practices, it seems like there is not much room to step back into the shadows and coast along even if you are buried on the depth chart a player will stick out and be uncomfortable if you don't work hard. I may be100% wrong but I hope this is a sign of a demanding hard working culture that will yield results over time. 

Good luck to Mr. Bell. I try not to talk about players like it was some star NFL player leaving because obviously that's not the case. I felt he was a work in progress and didn't deserve the #1 spot over Ozigbo, but none of the backs were lighting it up at the time so as to make an obvious separation. I think this could be a big loss this year because we play in a tough league prone to injuries and need the depth. What it means in regard to the coaching situation is that it doesn't matter if you're a "Frost guy" or a "Riley guy", you'll be evaluated the same. If you can't handle the current level of competition on the team then you've probably made the right choice in moving on because we plan to get a lot tougher.

• Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell