What Did We Learn? - Michigan State

Mavric

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Before yesterday's games Iowa was 10th and MSU was 21st in the nation in total defense.

I’m a bit concerned that Illinois couldn’t do anything against Iowa.

i hope the weather forecast is better for next Friday so the Offense isn’t handcuffed. Also need Spielman back in the worst way. I think that had as much to do with the offense output yesterday as the weather.

While I agree not having Spielman hurt,  don’t think it was quite as big a factor has some think. AM really struggled yesterday (I think the conditions had a huge impact on him) and if you can’t get him the ball he can’t make plays. And with MSU’s lateral speed I don’t jet sweeps were going to get much. It obviously hurts, it has to, to have one of your best players out anytime. But I think yesterday having it be a receiver wasn’t quite as impactful. May be completely wrong too, just how I saw it. It was a game that was going to won or lost mainly by the “big uglies” up front on both sides. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

I learned that I never knew how much I missed the black shoes. Those combined with the red socks gave me a huge uni mega boner thinking of the 2001 uniforms. I like the white shoes too, but after not having them since 2011 I thought they looked awesome.

That’s my favorite uniform look.

• Plus1 1

I also learned that Michigan State receivers can drop as many catchable balls as anybody in the nation. Blackshirts get credit for some of the drops, but not for many of them, including the dropped TD in the back of the end zone (that probably would have meant a Spartan victory). Glad the Cornhuskers escaped with a win and played for all 60 minutes in pretty brutal conditions, but the Spartans gave us every opportunity with all of those dropped balls. Many of Martinez’ incompletions were his smartly throwing the ball away when a play was not there.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Before yesterday's games Iowa was 10th and MSU was 21st in the nation in total defense.

OK, it will be a challenge - no doubt- but even if NU’s game plan is similar on Friday, the difference should be that we will be able to use more of the offense than conditions allowed against the Spartans. It will also effectively be our “bowl game” and final game ever for the Seniors (for motivation).