Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still don't see a need for a rivalry game..If we had trouble selling out our stadium, it might have been useful to help the fans want to see the game in person, but we seem to be stuck with full stadiums even after horrid coaching.

Maybe if we start winning our division on a regular basis and then end up playing the same team in the CCG every year with each team trading victories somewhat equally, one might develop naturally, but these forced fake rivalries kinda suck.

39 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I still don't see a need for a rivalry game..If we had trouble selling out our stadium, it might have been useful to help the fans want to see the game in person, but we seem to be stuck with full stadiums even after horrid coaching.

Maybe if we start winning our division on a regular basis and then end up playing the same team in the CCG every year with each team trading victories somewhat equally, one might develop naturally, but these forced fake rivalries kinda suck.

Maybe some people are able to see them as a rival in spite of the conference trying to make one.....instead of because of it. 

• Plus1 2

The difference between Iowa and Nebraska isn't how relevant or irrelevant we both are or have been.  The difference is I have yet to hear another conference foe's fanbase, or any football fan in general, say anything nice about Iowa.  I remember going to the Michigan game in 2012 and a nice UM fan next to me told me "Good luck on the rest of the year. Please beat the crap out of Iowa, they are the worst."

On 11/23/2018 at 7:07 AM, man eating mastodon said:

Actually they have a Heisman winner in Kinnick, they named a stadium  after him and also claim a Natty from I believe in the  50s.Nothing modern era  but they do.

Nope - we don't claim it.  It is on the NCAA books as a shared National Championship since that was one of the recognized polls of that era - but no.

@Redux Iowa has been the better team 4 years running, no question about it.  I think the saltiness comes from a realization that the tides are turning. My best man is a hawk who went to school at NU. We have a group text of 5 skers and him and he was a bit put off that we all shrugged off this year and immediately said we are coming in 2019.  He wanted some validation/acknowledgment for the last 4 years and not to move on so fast. He wouldn't admit it but I know he is trying to hold on while he can.

12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

@Redux Iowa has been the better team 4 years running, no question about it.  I think the saltiness comes from a realization that the tides are turning. My best man is a hawk who went to school at NU. We have a group text of 5 skers and him and he was a bit put off that we all shrugged off this year and immediately said we are coming in 2019.  He wanted some validation/acknowledgment for the last 4 years and not to move on so fast. He wouldn't admit it but I know he is trying to hold on while he can.

I suppose it could be because I got so used to Nebraska losing this season, but the loss to Iowa hardly bothered me at all and I think it’s because I know they’ll always be the same Iowa and this will be the worst season we have until Frost retires and we were tied with 3 seconds left. 

I even meandered over to one of their forums yesterday to see their take and the gloating didn’t bother me at all. Normally I would never do that. 

• 6 months later...

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not a super hero movie guy, but doesn't he play "Hawkeye"?

Yep. I'm a little more confused about Gabrielle Union, if that's who the lower right is. I know she's a Nebraska fan (alum?), but a weird inclusion.

Also "a rivalry like no other" is pretty bold at this point. The biggest point of tension I can recall is that Iowa band member claiming our players didn't participate in the children's hospital wave. Wherever you place Iowa/Nebraska personally on a rivalry scale, it does not stand out in any way.

The Iowa-Nebraska rivalry is enticing, and the Big Ten Network wants to be a part of it

IOWA CITY, Iowa – The final Black Friday game between Iowa and Nebraska before a two-year post-Thanksgiving hiatus will air mid-afternoon Nov. 29 on BTN.

The kickoff time, while unusual at 1:30 p.m. CT, is an intriguing footnote. The network choice, however, has triggered vocal scrutiny from the two Big Ten fan bases.

BTN usually is associated with the Big Ten’s least-appealing games, so a Black Friday battle not airing on ABC or FOX instantly invites criticism of both teams and the league itself. In this case, however, BTN targeted Iowa-Nebraska and fought for it.

• Plus1 1