2020 Coaching Staff

It seems so simple.. especially when after each game we hear the head coach of Nebraska football say the same damned thing in slightly different verbiage when asked about the defensive performance:  "I don't know, I concentrate on the offence.  I'll have to look at film."

It is said by others and I'll repeat it:  If the defensive staff were entirely removed and replaced by starting with a proven defensive coordinator (likely from the SEC, but not necessarily), it would do a lot for this football program. 

11 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

If nebraska got rid of a coach they're not required to hire a bad coach in fact any coach nebraska would fire is probably a bad coach already. 

Chin is bad at his job. Dewitt is bad at his job. How many years before they learn how to do their job? Can you guarantee Chin will ever be a good dc? he hasn't at any place he's been. 

I'm not sure how the politics work behind the scenes for Nebraska football or how much power Moos has or Frost has when it comes to hiring and firing.  But when you have a 5 million a year coach and you're building a 150 million dollar facility to compete with the big boys is a coach who is learning on the job the guy you want leading the defense? Chin isn't a good investment for the future of Nebraska football.

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

I still have no clue how anyone can justify Dewitt being back next year. It’s mind blowing. He coaches two of the worst units on the field.

Since Frost and Chin are boys let him stick around coaching LB's(what he did at Oregon). Hire a legit P5 DC. Ditch DeWitt. Not sure if Chin can coach ST's or not but Ruud could stand to go anyway. Could either have Chin in charge of all LB's and hire a good ST's coordinator or find a better LB's/ST's guy than we currently have. 

Also I have heard a narrative that it took Dabo like 6 years as Justification that great coaches can take awhile to get there. That’s misleading. Maybe to win the natty. Year 1 was 9 wins, year 2 was 6. Then every year after that was a minimum of 10. So all but 1 season was successful 

i am guessing clemson wasn’t a recruiting power with a stocked roster before he got there? 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also I have heard a narrative that it took Dabo like 6 years as Justification that great coaches can take awhile to get there. That’s misleading. Maybe to win the natty. Year 1 was 9 wins, year 2 was 6. Then every year after that was a minimum of 10. So all but 1 season was successful 

i am guessing clemson wasn’t a recruiting power with a stocked roster before he got there? 

So you don't know the location or history of Clemson?

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Clemson was coached by Tommy Bowden prior to Dabo.  he put up very Bo like numbers while there. Nothing spectacular, but not bad at all. The recruiting was all over the board.  High of 10 to a low of 67th.... Dabo inherited 12th-16th the 4 years prior.  his first class was 37th.........

Dabo developed a culture and got a solid staff put together.  Even firing Kevin Steele after the blow out in the Orange bowl against West Virginia.  Steele had been Dabo's 1st DC.....

At the time Dabo took over, Clemson was usually top 6 in the ACC.....not the best, not the worst.  Still having to compete for talent.  

Simply put, Dabo and Co built Clemson.  And have successfully had their scheme defeat the likes of OSU, Bama, Notre Dame and UGA.......Dabo was there as receivers coach and recruiting coordinator in 2003 to 2008 (became HC).  He know the ACC, the area and what will and will not work in that conference.  Something Frost is unfortunately having to learn on the fly.  I think that gave Dabo a huge leg up. He knew the comptition, landscape and what type of football would work.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

The OL is not bare and never was.  We have just as many scholarship OL players as other teams in the B1G.  We also have 3 returning starters from last year.   I think our weaknesses on the OL is having a RsFr at C that isn't making the right line calls and a So. guard that is not very good at all.    

Eh, I think the line gets talked-down more than they deserve.  And I do think Jurgens is still a work in progress.

But just having bodies on the line doesn't mean we have good options.  The only reason we have as many players as other B1G teams is because half of our scholarship guys are freshmen.  We don't have a senior to play.  Farniok is a returning starter but is playing out of position because we don't have any other options at tackle.

So I don't think we have a lot of options.  Which is fairly "bare" to me.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I think the line gets talked-down more than they deserve.  And I do think Jurgens is still a work in progress.

But just having bodies on the line doesn't mean we have good options.  The only reason we have as many players as other B1G teams is because half of our scholarship guys are freshmen.  We don't have a senior to play.  Farniok is a returning starter but is playing out of position because we don't have any other options at tackle.

So I don't think we have a lot of options.  Which is fairly "bare" to me.

I agree on Jurgens being a work in progress and he will hopefully get better. 

We have 16 scholarship OL with 1 hurt senior,  4 Jrs and the rest So. and Fr.

Minnesota has 15 scholarship OL with 0 seniors, 4 Jrs and the rest So. and Fr.

Wisconsin has 14 scholarship OL with 1 senior,  2 Jrs and the rest So. and Fr. 

Penn State has 15 OL guys on scholarship with 1 Sr,  3 Js and the rest So. and Jrs. 

Those are some of the top teams in the B1G and are no different then we are with OL.  

I think people like to blame them which is warranted some but to say we are inexperienced is wrong. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I agree on Jurgens being a work in progress and he will hopefully get better. 

We have 16 scholarship OL with 1 hurt senior,  4 Jrs and the rest So. and Fr.

Minnesota has 15 scholarship OL with 0 seniors, 4 Jrs and the rest So. and Fr.

Wisconsin has 14 scholarship OL with 1 senior,  2 Jrs and the rest So. and Fr. 

Penn State has 15 OL guys on scholarship with 1 Sr,  3 Js and the rest So. and Jrs. 

Those are some of the top teams in the B1G and are no different then we are with OL.  

I think people like to blame them which is warranted some but to say we are inexperienced is wrong. 

Yeah, you lump all our Freshman in with everyone else's Freshman and Sophmores to give a picture closer to what you're wanting.  And probably picked the schools that were closer as well.