Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

20 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

As time as gone on, I’m less upset about Riley. He was in way over his head but he genuinely wanted to be great here and it’s not his fault we hired him. It’s like when Idris Elba put Kevin in reception. 

I don't think he phoned it in or anything, but I disagree. I don't think he wanted to be great at all, I think he wanted to be remembered as as nice father figure coach more than a great, winning one. Everyone wants to win games, but I think it was farther down on his priority list than it has any business being for a D1 coach. I'm not a "win at all costs" guy, but there are some costs that are worth it - making your players put in the work, discipline, etc. I don't think Riley had any interest in pursuing greatness if it meant pushing players any harder than they wanted. Like others have said, I don't really blame him for what happened. But I don't believe he ever wanted to be great, and the fault is with those who hired a coach with that philosophy when our fanbase won't accept that.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I remember making the "Hello Mike Riley" thread when he was announced and had to google him, too.

I spelled his name wrong for weeks and then out of spite...Remember telling the wife, I hope it's one of the names the board has mentioned and not some dude I have to google...I googled and and the rest was history.

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think he phoned it in or anything, but I disagree. I don't think he wanted to be great at all, I think he wanted to be remembered as as nice father figure coach more than a great, winning one. Everyone wants to win games, but I think it was farther down on his priority list than it has any business being for a D1 coach. I'm not a "win at all costs" guy, but there are some costs that are worth it - making your players put in the work, discipline, etc. I don't think Riley had any interest in pursuing greatness if it meant pushing players any harder than they wanted. Like others have said, I don't really blame him for what happened. But I don't believe he ever wanted to be great, and the fault is with those who hired a coach with that philosophy when our fanbase won't accept that.

The talking heads was a huge tell in what we getting.  I never heard "great coach", "winner" or any other adjectives to describe success.  It was comments like "father figure", "nicest coach you could meet", "does more with less" etc.....He was hired to be the anti-Bo and that was it....

2 hours ago, hunter49 said:

yup. we got what his bio said we would, nice guy, .500 coach at best, no leadership.

AD knew it too.

I wouldn't say Eichorst 'knew it'. Eichorst is the kind of guy who loves to talk about leadership, and read books about leadership, and yet knows absolutely nothing about leadership.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, lo country said:

I spelled his name wrong for weeks and then out of spite...Remember telling the wife, I hope it's one of the names the board has mentioned and not some dude I have to google...I googled and and the rest was history.

How many different ways are there to spell Mike? 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

Pearlman actually.  Eichorst was a pawn.

This.

Eichorst was absolutely a pawn.  Hired for one reason and one reason only.

It's really not even secret any longer what Perlman was doing behind the scene in regard to both Pelini and Osborne.

And what other chancellor would specifically mention how they'll be remembered when it comes to football in their retirement speech?

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

JD going to look to leave TCU after the allegations against Patterson?

It sounds like not all of the team is entirely on Jordan's side, and that the tweet may just be one side of the story. But who knows!

EDIT: For some clarification - I don't think anyone is super happy with Patterson. But I think it was the classic "I was just telling him not to say it," and the team let Patterson know that's still not a reason to say it himself. I don't see this turning into a fire-able thing - he wasn't directing it at the player so he'll apologize, talk about listening better and learning, and that will be that IMO.

• 4 weeks later...