OWH: Now Is the Time to Reconfigure Memorial Stadium

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Don’t know exactly but, they’ve adjusted the width a number of times. I always thought they would need to replace the bench top. 

I think those are the same bench tops that have been there for decades now. 

I assume the answer to this is 'no' but have they addressed the overall access issues in North stadium yet? That was the worst part of the experience for me when I sat there for a game two years ago. We were sitting maybe 50-60 rows up and it took us almost 45 minutes to get out of the stadium once the game ended. Just abysmal.

Seating and comfortability are still low on my personal priority list. Some of the things that turn me off are things the AD can't really control - traffic getting to and from Omaha and paying for parking/food/drinks all day, just to name a couple.

And then there's the elephant in the room that this has been a below .500 team for the last three seasons. Imagine if they reduced seats by something like 1-2% and then raised ticket prices, all for a team that might go to a bowl game? Those optics are strange.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I think those are the same bench tops that have been there for decades now. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think so too. That’s why I’m confused. So I don’t know how, but they have changed the spacing. 

They are replaced every few years. Specifically, all of the material covering the benches in rows 80 and up in North stadium have been replaced in the last couple of years, this time with wider seats. That's why stadium capacity has decreased recently.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I assume the answer to this is 'no' but have they addressed the overall access issues in North stadium yet? That was the worst part of the experience for me when I sat there for a game two years ago. We were sitting maybe 50-60 rows up and it took us almost 45 minutes to get out of the stadium once the game ended. Just abysmal.

Part of the new facility to be built includes improving access to North Stadium.

Another major factor in reducing seats of course is the many long term season ticket holders who would lose their current seat locations and be relocated to places where the seats are not season ticket holder held.  Many fans like their present spots and would be upset etc.  

Not sure the numbers but Id guess about 65000 are season ticket renewals.  I suppose the rest are scattered around randomly but maybe not.  

It might be a public relations nightmare especially with so many “donations” tied on to renewal rights.  Those are big helps in selling and $ raising.  You completely reshuffle the fans and quite a few might not renew so quickly.  

I wonder if this new norm has caused some season ticket holders to give up their tickets. In my reality if I held season tickets I know I'd be considering it. The cost of the tickets, the drive to and from the game, the sardine packaging of the seats, the narrow entrances and the new broadcasting techniques used today. All adding up, I'd weight all those factors then add in the "risk factor of illness" and I'd probably coward out and turn in the tickets. Personally, I do think the stadium seating is way over do for seating capacity upgrades. Meaning stadium seats resulting in fewer fans but more fan comforts.

I think the "people will start watching from home" argument is not real.

They have been saying that since the first game was televised on BW TV's.  

The people that are going to the game...are going to the game.  The people that are not going are not going.

Most people that go to the game are there for the atmosphere and tradition.  

Gameday in Lincoln is electric.  The sleepy city slowly starts to wake up with thousands of people wearing red, tunes being played all over the place, bars open early, lots filled with fans, friends and families.  There is nothing cooler than being Sandy's and it is totally packed with fans and "Goooooooo Big Red" being yelled out and then...45 minutes before kickoff the place almost gets totally empty with everyone heading to their seat.  

The tailgate lots going from packed to a ghost town when the game starts, so cool to see.  The band and cheerleaders going through Embassy.

51 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think the "people will start watching from home" argument is not real.

They have been saying that since the first game was televised on BW TV's.  

The people that are going to the game...are going to the game.  The people that are not going are not going.

Most people that go to the game are there for the atmosphere and tradition.  

Gameday in Lincoln is electric.  The sleepy city slowly starts to wake up with thousands of people wearing red, tunes being played all over the place, bars open early, lots filled with fans, friends and families.  There is nothing cooler than being Sandy's and it is totally packed with fans and "Goooooooo Big Red" being yelled out and then...45 minutes before kickoff the place almost gets totally empty with everyone heading to their seat.  

The tailgate lots going from packed to a ghost town when the game starts, so cool to see.  The band and cheerleaders going through Embassy.

A 60 inch, 4K HD TV is a bit different than an old Black and White TV. That, coupled with direct access to good food, beer, comfy seating, the ability to watch multiple games at the same time and not having to pay out the nose for what has been a bad product for a while now puts the advantage squarely in the corner of watching from home. The gameday atmosphere in and around the stadium is great, but its not nearly the same as it once was.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

A 60 inch, 4K HD TV is a bit different than an old Black and White TV. That, coupled with direct access to good food, beer, comfy seating, the ability to watch multiple games at the same time and not having to pay out the nose for what has been a bad product for a while now puts the advantage squarely in the corner of watching from home. The gameday atmosphere in and around the stadium is great, but its not nearly the same as it once was.

The bolded is true but it won't be if this team starts winning again. It could be even better with the long drought and people no longer taking winning for granted.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The atmosphere will get there again, but you do make a compelling argument.  I continue to write the check, holding out for when we’re perennially competitive again.  I miss those days when my Saturday revolves around “the game “.  I think we’ll get there soon.  HCSF is too competitive and prideful to let us continue to slide.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Oh I agree...I am saying that the people that are going to go...are going to go.

You are similar to me.  I only go to have fun and party, I don't even go into the games (even with free tickets, I will usually just pass them on to other people)

But that is us, that is how we are.  

I would argue that the atmosphere for tailgating and bar hopping is better than ever though.

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I wonder if this new norm has caused some season ticket holders to give up their tickets. In my reality if I held season tickets I know I'd be considering it. The cost of the tickets, the drive to and from the game, the sardine packaging of the seats, the narrow entrances and the new broadcasting techniques used today. All adding up, I'd weight all those factors then add in the "risk factor of illness" and I'd probably coward out and turn in the tickets. Personally, I do think the stadium seating is way over do for seating capacity upgrades. Meaning stadium seats resulting in fewer fans but more fan comforts.

Most of the season ticket renewals were due before all the virus stuff really broke loose in the US.  So I doubt the renewals were much affected by it.  I'm sure that has more to do with on-the-field success (or lack thereof).

But anyone new wanting to sign up could be significantly affected.  Will be interesting to see the numbers.