Made up your mind or waiting to see?

Hilltop

Have you already made up your mind?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, FTW said:

I made up my mind in week zero. I don’t know why it’s taken the rest of this state to figure it out. Frost and his assistants are not power 5 level and it has shown for 4 years straight. You see what you get. We overpaid for an inexperienced staff. 

Some have blind faith in Frost and are unable to objectively evaluate data.  That is really a recipe for disaster as we have seen these past 4 years. We just have to hope that Trev and boosters are willing to be objective.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Some have blind faith in Frost and are unable to objectively evaluate data.  That is really a recipe for disaster as we have seen these past 4 years. We just have to hope that Trev and boosters are willing to be objective.

Yup, I’ve got family members who can’t see it. Some want everyone fired but Frost. Lol. Rose colored glasses can truly blind a person.

1 minute ago, HuskerTrucker said:

So.... If you get rid of Frost, with Nebraska hiring and firing coaches in quick order... Just what decent coach would want the job? 

I think we’ve reached the point where we aren’t likely getting a proven power 5 guy. It’s going to have to be an coordinator or you’re taking an up and coming coach from a lower level. Here’s another concern.. Although I have confidence in Trev as an AD I really don’t think he had any plans of firing Frost this year. He said Frost wasn’t coaching for his job because he thought the way we were playing surely we’d find a way to win at 2 of our last 5 games and give Frost a pass and a chance with an easier schedule. I bet he’s thinking Oh s#!t right about now that 0-5 down the stretch is a realistic possibility. He’s having to completely change gears based on how things have transpired the last few weeks. Now must get a short list together quick and start gauging if any of them have interest before coaches start getting plucked away. 

19 hours ago, Farms said:

I think we’ve reached the point where we aren’t likely getting a proven power 5 guy. It’s going to have to be an coordinator or you’re taking an up and coming coach from a lower level. Here’s another concern.. Although I have confidence in Trev as an AD I really don’t think he had any plans of firing Frost this year. He said Frost wasn’t coaching for his job because he thought the way we were playing surely we’d find a way to win at 2 of our last 5 games and give Frost a pass and a chance with an easier schedule. I bet he’s thinking Oh s#!t right about now that 0-5 down the stretch is a realistic possibility. He’s having to completely change gears based on how things have transpired the last few weeks. Now must get a short list together quick and start gauging if any of them have interest before coaches start getting plucked away. 

How do you know we can’t get a power 5 guy?

• Thanks 1

I am in the camp that says we don't find a winning P5 coach willing to take on this job right now.  First off, we have a small recruiting class coming in.  We have alot of guys as of right now planning of returning for there 10th year!  If Frost is let go, we more than likely will have half a roster left for next season.  It would take the right guy to bring in players thru the portal to even get us to a competitive point like we are now.  Not saying I think we should keep Frost but just saying with the current landscape and such, I don't know if we have alot of options.  I think we almost have to ride this out for one more season, hope we notch some high level recruits, and then see what happens.  For those who think that Urban or Stoops would even listen are so far out in left field its not even funny. 

• Haha 1

One more area of this that needs to be discussed is our lack of talent:  People if you can't open your eyes and see that we don't have bonafide NFL players on this roster your not watching the same game I am.  Purdue has a defensive player and at least one offensive player who are no doubters.  Who on our current roster fits that bill?  Who? 

We don't and have not gotten those players on campus yet and haven't since Addullah and Gregory.   7 seasons where we haven't really mustered much on any NFL talent for the draft.  Is this player development or is it misleading recruiting stats and information?  I have heard both.  I hear that our recruiting is overinflated and really our talent level isn't actually Top 20 caliber and I hear that we have decent talent that just doesn't get better once it enters Memorial stadium..  I guess what I am saying is it all comes down to coaching.  Either we are not getting Big 10 talent or we are not developing Big 10 talent, doesn't really matter which came first, chicken or the egg.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

One more area of this that needs to be discussed is our lack of talent:  People if you can't open your eyes and see that we don't have bonafide NFL players on this roster your not watching the same game I am.  Purdue has a defensive player and at least one offensive player who are no doubters.  Who on our current roster fits that bill?  Who? 

We don't and have not gotten those players on campus yet and haven't since Addullah and Gregory.   7 seasons where we haven't really mustered much on any NFL talent for the draft.  Is this player development or is it misleading recruiting stats and information?  I have heard both.  I hear that our recruiting is overinflated and really our talent level isn't actually Top 20 caliber and I hear that we have decent talent that just doesn't get better once it enters Memorial stadium..  I guess what I am saying is it all comes down to coaching.  Either we are not getting Big 10 talent or we are not developing Big 10 talent, doesn't really matter which came first, chicken or the egg.

Austin Allen, JoJo Domann, Cam Taylor-Britt

• Plus1 2
On 10/30/2021 at 4:25 AM, BigRedN said:

No, not only have we not been good, but my eye has been better on prospects [see Breece Hall].  That doesn't change the fact that I genuinely like Held but don't have the "X's" and "O's" type of mind [a coach's eye] to know outside of recruiting why Held needs to go.  @Vince R. has that "coach's eye", so I was just curious what his eye sees.

I will continue to state this ... the OL, for me, continues to be deplorable, even as it gets more and more experience.  Thus, I don't know anymore if it is as much the RB coach and/or the OL coaching.  This is where a guy like @Vince R. who has done this sort of things seems to have a better eye.  I'm an "eyeball" test type of "fan" when it comes to football.  Tennis, golf and running are different skills I can give a good critique on.  For football, I just want a back who can get you the tough yards, averages 6-8 yards a carry and take it to the house on any snap.  If that guy was Breece Hall, then we missed on him.  Yet, something tells me that if Breece was here, he wouldn't be that good ... which leads me to the OL concern.

Thanks for chiming in.

Sorry for the late response. Our running backs have a bad feel for the game. If you watch full game tape of Greg Bell, Maurice Washington, Gabe Ervin, and Sevion Morrison, you will see many of the same mistakes. You see these guys running into the backs of offensive lineman or hitting the wrong hole. If Maurice wasn't making the spectacular, he was gaining almost next to nothing in the run game. Attributes like vision and patience can be taught somewhat, and that comes with knowing exactly how your play develops based on the looks you intend to run it against.

Devine's development belongs to Riley and Duval. He got his body right and ran away with the job despite what Held saw. Devine was head and shoulders above Greg Bell and Mo Wash that year. How do you miss this? Greg Bell actually proved to be a good sign, but he was horribly developed in his short time here. The guy had a nice bounce back season for SDSU. 

Deidrick Mills was a horrible fit for our offense. Luckily, as he became comfortable he improved, but he was decent at best. I think we always felt like there was more out there for him but we never saw it. 

Rahmir Johnson was left for dead and Ryan Held told him to get it together or he's going to be left behind. You might be thinking, good on Held to say that and it obviously worked. What upsets me is that Rahmir is much better than Gabe Ervin at this time, and how did that not reveal itself? And what does that say about the other running backs? They do not seem to be taking in Ryan Held's coaching. 

Sevion Morrison needs to be better. His hips are horrible and he stumbles too much. He doesn't always look athletic out there. Be patient with Yant, and let him become comfortable even when he makes mistakes. He will make up for them. Marvin Scott should be playing. He's steady, tough, and plenty capable, but because he's not a burner or a pro body, they move on. Markese Stepp is the most complete out of all of them skill wise, but he was not coached up well at USC, and Ryan Held doesn't know what to do with him since he himself isn't a developer.

Gabe Ervin is a sign of a major problem. He was not ready for college football, and should have never been the starter. But why was he? Gabe Ervin figured out how to "finesse" practice. There are players who know how to play in a structured environment where they are able to pick up on the opposition and the tendencies over time. Nebraska has a major practice problem where players have figured out how to look really good or reliable in a controlled environment. However, when it's gameday and it's chaos out there, they do not know what to do. The saying, "practice in a way that games become easier", well it looks like they practice in a way that makes the game seem foreign. Nothing reveals itself, at least on offense in practice. 

I have issues with Held's coaching style and I think his personality comes through in it. He seems incredibly impatient with his players and is looking for the game breaker. He's always looking to over recruit them to solve his issue. He quits on his players. Frost has a lot of blame too because this offense isn't patient. They're so reliant on the guy hitting a 40 yard run that they discard the running backs who don't run 4.5's. 

And yes, the O-line is garbage and Austin needs to go. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Sorry for the late response. Our running backs have a bad feel for the game. If you watch full game tape of Greg Bell, Maurice Washington, Gabe Ervin, and Sevion Morrison, you will see many of the same mistakes. You see these guys running into the backs of offensive lineman or hitting the wrong hole. If Maurice wasn't making the spectacular, he was gaining almost next to nothing in the run game. Attributes like vision and patience can be taught somewhat, and that comes with knowing exactly how your play develops based on the looks you intend to run it against.

Devine's development belongs to Riley and Duval. He got his body right and ran away with the job despite what Held saw. Devine was head and shoulders above Greg Bell and Mo Wash that year. How do you miss this? Greg Bell actually proved to be a good sign, but he was horribly developed in his short time here. The guy had a nice bounce back season for SDSU. 

Deidrick Mills was a horrible fit for our offense. Luckily, as he became comfortable he improved, but he was decent at best. I think we always felt like there was more out there for him but we never saw it. 

Rahmir Johnson was left for dead and Ryan Held told him to get it together or he's going to be left behind. You might be thinking, good on Held to say that and it obviously worked. What upsets me is that Rahmir is much better than Gabe Ervin at this time, and how did that not reveal itself? And what does that say about the other running backs? They do not seem to be taking in Ryan Held's coaching. 

Sevion Morrison needs to be better. His hips are horrible and he stumbles too much. He doesn't always look athletic out there. Be patient with Yant, and let him become comfortable even when he makes mistakes. He will make up for them. Marvin Scott should be playing. He's steady, tough, and plenty capable, but because he's not a burner or a pro body, they move on. Markese Stepp is the most complete out of all of them skill wise, but he was not coached up well at USC, and Ryan Held doesn't know what to do with him since he himself isn't a developer.

Gabe Ervin is a sign of a major problem. He was not ready for college football, and should have never been the starter. But why was he? Gabe Ervin figured out how to "finesse" practice. There are players who know how to play in a structured environment where they are able to pick up on the opposition and the tendencies over time. Nebraska has a major practice problem where players have figured out how to look really good or reliable in a controlled environment. However, when it's gameday and it's chaos out there, they do not know what to do. The saying, "practice in a way that games become easier", well it looks like they practice in a way that makes the game seem foreign. Nothing reveals itself, at least on offense in practice. 

I have issues with Held's coaching style and I think his personality comes through in it. He seems incredibly impatient with his players and is looking for the game breaker. He's always looking to over recruit them to solve his issue. He quits on his players. Frost has a lot of blame too because this offense isn't patient. They're so reliant on the guy hitting a 40 yard run that they discard the running backs who don't run 4.5's. 

And yes, the O-line is garbage and Austin needs to go. 

@Vince R., enjoyed hearing your thoughts sir.  Thanks for compiling and sharing. 

I can see what you are stating about Held.  That was helpful to hear.  And yes, I can see more of a focus on out-recruiting the current guy verses really developing them.  If Breece Hall would have come here, I feel certain that he would not be a name today, at least not until he possible made it to the NFL and learned what he needed to shine.

• Plus1 1
On 10/31/2021 at 8:37 PM, Nebhawk said:

I'd venture to say it's our talent that keeps us within one score of UM, OU, and MSU. 

Development is an issue for sure. We've had some recruiting misses for sure. But weve had players transfer and succeed- Avery Roberts, Wandale, Greg bell.  Heck, Matt Farniok made an NFL roster. All he had to do was give up our S&C to slim up and gain flexibility. He didn't exactly light it up here, but obviously had the talent and/or measurables.

Is there anybody we feel the staff, mostly talking offense here, has made better than when they started? None of the running backs. WRs, not really. JD spielman and Toure were good before. Austin Allen was gonna be an NFL player anyway. Jurgens snaps improved sure, but that should have never been an issue to start with. We've had four years of a QB who plays like a pretty good freshman. He's never progressed past the stage where a player makes sports center top 10 plays but in the same game makes some really awful ones as well- something you expect from a young up and comer, not a four year starter.

There may be somebody on offense or special teams the staff has made better, and if so please enlighten me. However, it seems that anybody who is good, is good in spite of the staff and not because of.

• Plus1 1