What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?

Toe

20 hours ago, Enhance said:

My personal interpretation of the comments about "new ideas" had less to do with scheme and more to do with teaching, promoting execution and enabling better fundamentals. Frost can't be the one primarily digging deep into position groups and providing 1:1 instructions on how to execute the offense and play smarter. That's what his assistants are supposed to do.

I was thinking the same thing.  One group in particular, RB room, I’ve never figured out why our RB’s aren’t utilizing a jump cut at the line of scrimmage to hit an outside hole that many times is there.  Instead they just barrel into the back of the Oline.  
Are they not thought to read what’s happening up front? Are they not taught the footwork for moves like this?  Seems like the talent is there for the group to be better.  

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  One group in particular, RB room, I’ve never figured out why our RB’s aren’t utilizing a jump cut at the line of scrimmage to hit an outside hole that many times is there.  Instead they just barrel into the back of the Oline.  
Are they not thought to read what’s happening up front? Are they not taught the footwork for moves like this?  Seems like the talent is there for the group to be better.  

I think the RB room is an excellent microcosm of problems in the offense, because I agree that the talent (on paper at least) is much better than what it has shown. The inconsistent performance of that unit, as well as the seemingly random and sporadic nature of how they determined who would play and who wouldn't, has never made much sense.

The offensive line obviously hasn't held up its end of the bargain either, which isn't going to help the RBs, but you gotta have a guy or two back there who can make things happen amidst the chaos. And then you have to be able to rely on that guy to show up each week. I feel like I've lost count of the times one guy would have a really good game or two only to disappear for large chunks of the season.

• Plus1 2

Frost really likes his run/pass ratio to be at 55/45. You can go back to his time at UCF to confirm this while cross-referenced against his time here.

When your QB overthrows open receivers on completely makeable attempts, it really hurts your ability to move the chains unless you bump up the run ratio, IMO.

I had been an ardent Martinez defender up until the Minnesota game - and mainly still am. But the missed throws kill drives. The coaches have to recognize this and fix it somehow.

B-U-T - I think Frost, Lubick, & Austin were equally to blame for failing to figure out how to get the run game going so that the offense didn't depend on Martinez throwing the ball to succeed. That is the bottom line for me personally.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

You may recall that during this last offseason, one big thing you'd hear is that "Frost is calling too many designed Martinez run plays." People's arguments there were Adrian's propensity to fumble and also this putting him at increased/undue injury risk. Both camps had great points there.

And it seems like the offensive staff felt roughly the same way, but I'm pretty sure that what the statistics show that they did to remedy this was asking Adrian to throw more. If the stats show otherwise for 2021, I'm happy to be corrected.

I think it's obvious that this plan failed. I saw it most in both the stat lines and the on-field results against Minnesota especially. 

• Plus1 1

I think the offense will be pretty similar but you will probably have to find a QB who can consistently hit the stuff inside 10 yards.  I think that has been 2AM biggest problem.  He throws a pretty good ball between 12-20 yards but inside of that he can't seem to be accurate.  He also barely throws to guys unless the are completely open and not just "open".  Like other QB's who will throw the ball in a tight window to his best rec and count on him to make a play.  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I had been an ardent Martinez defender up until the Minnesota game - and mainly still am. But the missed throws kill drives. The coaches have to recognize this and fix it somehow.

B-U-T - I think Frost, Lubick, & Austin were equally to blame for failing to figure out how to get the run game going so that the offense didn't depend on Martinez throwing the ball to succeed. That is the bottom line for me personally.

Agree with your post, but these two points in particular. I think, fair or not, Martinez' career will largely be remembered as not being good enough when it mattered.

And yeah, your last sentence is what gives me pause about having hope moving forward.

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think the offense will be pretty similar but you will probably have to find a QB who can consistently hit the stuff inside 10 yards.  I think that has been 2AM biggest problem.  He throws a pretty good ball between 12-20 yards but inside of that he can't seem to be accurate.  He also barely throws to guys unless the are completely open and not just "open".  Like other QB's who will throw the ball in a tight window to his best rec and count on him to make a play.  

I love Adrian - he's an absolute warrior and all around great kid. But he'll never be the guy that consistently fits passes in tight windows. 

• Thanks 1

I’m not convinced the scheme has to change drastically. What needs to change is implementation, development, preparation, play calling and execution.  This is a fun offense to watch (when it’s functioning) and is something different than most in the conference. If we go the Iowa route, shoot me now. Eliminate the mistakes and penalties, develop a better O line and figure out the red zone. The first two things will go a long ways towards fixing the 3rd one. And for godsakes get a serviceable backup QB ready and sit the starter when he is struggling. It ain’t rocket science.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I remember several passes in the OSU game where he threw up a pretty good 50/50 ball and our WR didn’t come down with it. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I remember several passes in the OSU game where he threw up a pretty good 50/50 ball and our WR didn’t come down with it. 

Not to mention times like Toure getting short arms at the end of the first half against Purdue, or any of the receivers NEVER SETTING DOWN in the openings in zone defenses and continuing to run INTO THE COVERAGE

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You are correct but I was more referencing more in the middle of the field types maybe where the WR is stopped and there is a guy within a few yards of him.  I feel like he sees the guy as covered whereas apposing QBs complete those on us quite a bit.  

On 11/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

I've always believed you should run a 4 yard play on first down.  Then you should go with a 4 yard play on second down.  It's makes at far easier on the offense if only need to get 2 yards for the first round.  Think about it.....You call a 2, 3 or 4 yard play and still get a first down.  The coaches that really know what they are doing will call a touchdown play every once in a while to keep the defense honest.

But we’re usually 1st and 15!

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think the RB room is an excellent microcosm of problems in the offense, because I agree that the talent (on paper at least) is much better than what it has shown. The inconsistent performance of that unit, as well as the seemingly random and sporadic nature of how they determined who would play and who wouldn't, has never made much sense.

+1  In addition, spring ball, and fall camp account for a vast majority of real practice time a team has in a given season.  Yet, the depth chart at RB was consistently in flux and flipped on it's head in-season under Held.  There just has to be a better understanding of what you have and who you are preparing to roll with throughout fall camp & in-season.