Running Back Room

TGHusker

So, Gabe Ervin was the co-starter (1B) and no one mentions that he didn't play on offense?  In Ireland? 

Thought Grant grinded and you can see he has some toughness & patience.  Liked what I saw.

Yant didn't seem like he could get past the line of scrimmage.

No Rahmir for a mixup.  No Brody Belt.

Surprised to see Ajay Allen.  Has quickness but looks like a skinny High Schooler that needs space to be effective.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, admo said:

So, Gabe Ervin was the co-starter (1B) and no one mentions that he didn't play on offense?  In Ireland?

He'll probably start next week and we won't see any of the players that played this week judging from the past RB rotations. Maybe there is a method to the madness but I've never been able to figure it out since the rotation seems random.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

He'll probably start next week and we won't see any of the players that played this week judging from the past RB rotations. Maybe there is a method to the madness but I've never been able to figure it out since the rotation seems random.

I know what you mean, if we had Coach Held.  However, Grant is the leading front runner for the #1 back.  Of course, there is more games and more opportunities for all to shine.  But also agree with you, kind of baffling - unless Gabe had some food poison or something.

I don’t think you can judge the RBs after just one game certainly and only a few even played much.  The O line is struggling. The RBs have not been as stellar as the star recruiting ratings might have indicated.  I tend to not over value the recruiting guru ratings. Their somebody’s opinions and should get due credit.  The coaches (Frost with advice of presumably Applewhite and Whip decided to go with guys they hoped were best for this first game.  

Imo, the running game was not as effective or productive, for several reasons.  Inconsistent blocking by O line. Good defense by NW.   Offensive game plan / play design and selection.   RBs misread or hesitated or otherwise failed to maximize what potential for gain there was.  All of these are not uncommon or new.  

i think the rotation with a couple backs mostly was OK.  It was less musical benches than recent seasons.  But some of the next guy up

prsctice is to give players playing opportunity. Talent deficit is not a big issue and hasn’t been since Frost arrived. We need to better utilize the talent we have all around the entire team, game plan better and the players need to dig down deeper than ever and get it done. The losses are piling up for many reasons.  In the big picture (forest vs trees), the HC is in charge.  

I feel all of Frost’s teams have been remarkably similar.  Same talent approximately overall. Same offense. Similar defenses. Similar STs.  Same frustrating results on the field. 

While coaches and players’ names have changed every year, I couldn’t venture a guess which team was ‘the best’.   Last year’s was widely proclaimed, lauded and ridiculed simultaneously as ‘the best 3-9 team ever!”   I guess you could say Frost has fielded some very good losing teams.  Not even sure if that is anything more than being nice.  

I kind of wish the NCAA would go back to the freshman ineligible rule.  Guys are not developing because they are playing right out of the gate. You get erratic, error prone play from inexperienced players. Period.  

This has been a glaring issue with our offense for years and why they statistically put up a lot of yards but rank low in scoring. They’re always having to go the full length of the field to score and that leaves more opportunities for turnovers or other things to stall drives. It’s obviously been an issue for multiple years so you can’t blame it on one player but it is the reason I wasn’t a fan of Rahmir being the #1 back, he couldn’t break plays open. Hopefully this play isn’t an anomaly.