Who should our next HC be?

10 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think BK realizes the error he made, and will apologize and ask him to come back "home."

Is BK willing to reshuffle his staff and make MJ an offensive coordinator  or associate coach? Because MJ is not taking a step backwards to go be a wide receiver coach or recruiting coordinator anytime soon. He has a taste of being a head coach right now and he will be seeking that type of job or at least an OC job. BK can apologize but unless he’s willing to offer something and shake his current staff up. An offer is all it will be.

• TBH 1

5 minutes ago, HANC said:

Is BK willing to reshuffle his staff and make MJ an offensive coordinator  or associate coach? Because MJ is not taking a step backwards to go be a wide receiver coach or recruiting coordinator anytime soon. He has a taste of being a head coach right now and he will be seeking that type of job or at least an OC job. BK can apologize but unless he’s willing to offer something and shake his current staff up. An offer is all it will be.

It won't be as a coordinator; likely working with the receivers in some capacity. It's also possible that he could get offered HC gigs at some smaller schools. What do you think will happen if he stays here? He's not going to be an OC, likely WRs/associate HC/recruiting coordinator with a nice pay raise. Gotta pay him whatever it takes to get him to stay. Any new coach worth is salt is going to recognize MJ's value to this program.

20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Unless he knows something we don't know :dunno

I'm sure MJ knows lots of stuff we don't know. He's still going to recruit as if he's going to be the next HC regardless. It'll help him get his next job based on being a strong recruiter.

And MJ can sell how easy it is to transfer these days, so going to a school is not as binding as it once was. Plus the recruits have nothing binding them to a school yet, so easy for a recruit to commit and then decommit if MJ isn't kept.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It won't be as a coordinator; likely working with the receivers in some capacity. It's also possible that he could get offered HC gigs at some smaller schools. What do you think will happen if he stays here? He's not going to be an OC, likely WRs/associate HC/recruiting coordinator with a nice pay raise. Gotta pay him whatever it takes to get him to stay. Any new coach worth is salt is going to recognize MJ's value to this program.

With Mickey's focus on recruiting, I don't think he would make a good offensive coordinator, where he is the main game planner and play designer.  He can definitely provide knowledge on the passing game from a QB and WR point of view, but I don't think the time needed to commit being a coordinator and being the ace recruiter aligns very well.  There is nothing wrong with a separation of duties, and paying Mickey near the salary of an OC or DC makes sense because he would be the lead recruiter on so many important guys.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This is exactly why I am not convinced MJ is staying. Trev can’t mandate that the new hire keeps MJ on as OC or Associate HC, and I personally do not see him stepping back into a position coach. Even he mentioned that it would be a slap in the face ( in postgame call in). Only way he stays is if he is HC or incoming HC has a relationship with MJ and gives him one of the 2 mentioned positions. I agree that any HC worth anything should understand his value, but if he isn’t suited to run their offensive style, then what do you do?

Why do we keep talking about recruits and their comments being an indication of MJ’s future job status?

@RedDenver has the correct view of this. MJ is making his recruiting pitches as the head coach, regardless of what next year brings. That’s what most head coaches would do. You worry about recruit retention if or when he’s replaced. He’d be at a huge disadvantage if he was selling himself as anything other than the head coach of now and the future, even if that doesn’t end up happening. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honestly, is there any basis for these rankings other than someone following the fan chatter and speculation on the internet?

We could all huddle and come up with a reasonable Top 5 of candidates who are either exciting or at the very least acceptable, and there's an excellent chance that none of them has any intention of coming to Nebraska, making these power ranking kinda silly. 

Serious question: if it does come to money (and suddenly we're hearing about lowball incentive driven contracts) how freely is Nebraska ready to spend?  It appears we had a booster willing to write a $7 million check just for Scott Frost to go away three weeks sooner. But can booster money fund the coaches salary itself?  The UNL football coach is the highest paid state employee and takes his money out of the AD budget, but if the AD balks at anything over say $8 million a year, could that same booster say "I'll cover the extra $2 million a year to make it a clean and attractive $10 mill?  Don't know if there are rules or workarounds about that. 

Let me start with, I’m not sure if any Nebraska state laws are applicable here. But just a few days ago I read about an arrangement like that (at Ole Miss IIRC). Mississippi state law limits coach pay to something like $1.5M or $2M per year….they’re paying a lot more than that because boosters are covering it. I believe it’s even in the contract that way.

38 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think BK realizes the error he made, and will apologize and ask him to come back "home."

I understand that BK may want to do that, but why would Mickey allow himself to be disrespected by that clown and then up and move to go coach with him.  Only one single draw would be the fact it’s “home” for him.   

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Why do we keep talking about recruits and their comments being an indication of MJ’s future job status?

@RedDenver has the correct view of this. MJ is making his recruiting pitches as the head coach, regardless of what next year brings. That’s what most head coaches would do. You worry about recruit retention if or when he’s replaced. He’d be at a huge disadvantage if he was selling himself as anything other than the head coach of now and the future, even if that doesn’t end up happening. 

I get what you are saying, and I like the fact that Mickey is doing the job of the head coach.  However, I'm not naive enough where Mickey hasn't gotten asked about his future if he's not named full-time head coach.  I think his response to recruits is something like this "Right now, I'm the head coach, but there may be another head coach hired.  However, in conversations I have had with Trev, we are confident that I will be part of the go-forward coaching staff and I will be in Lincoln beyond this year."

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get what you are saying, and I like the fact that Mickey is doing the job of the head coach.  However, I'm not naive enough where Mickey hasn't gotten asked about his future if he's not named full-time head coach.  I think his response to recruits is something like this "Right now, I'm the head coach, but there may be another head coach hired.  However, in conversations I have had with Trev, we are confident that I will be part of the go-forward coaching staff and I will be in Lincoln beyond this year."

Sure. But that doesn't give us any information about the coaching search because he'd say that or something similar regardless, which is the point we're making.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Sure. But that doesn't give us any information about the coaching search because he'd say that or something similar regardless, which is the point we're making.

Fair enough, and I agree with this point.  Fans making inferences on Mickey's job status beyond 2022, based on what recruits are saying, are probably not the best source, and everything is pure speculation.

• Plus1 3

I don't know Mickey's recruiting history; so I'm going off everyone's word that he is a top recruiter (with some proof via his short time at Neb.)

However, Does anyone know his track record when it comes to recruiting Linemen, specifically, Offensive linemen?

This MUST be addressed; and addressed fast... Mickey touched a little on it, talking about JUCO possibilities.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's what I'm optimistically hoping for

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Spacer said:

I don't know Mickey's recruiting history; so I'm going off everyone's word that he is a top recruiter (with some proof via his short time at Neb.)

However, Does anyone know his track record when it comes to recruiting Linemen, specifically, Offensive linemen?

This MUST be addressed; and addressed fast... Mickey touched a little on it, talking about JUCO possibilities.

Almost got Zalance Heard to come here, but he stayed home and committed to LSU