Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

Umm... I personally am excited at the prospect of MJ being our next head coach and him being a former player is way down the list:

1. It's obvious that both player's and coach's tend to gravitate to him.

2. He's forthright with his beliefs and answers

3. He's a highly experienced coach with an awesome family of experienced members to lean on.

4. He's shown he can and will make tough decisions.

5. He's engaging both to the media and the fanbase but most importantly, to the young men that enter his office.

6. He's one of the best recruiters we've had since TO's time.

7. He's tough both mentally and physically. 

8. He isn't afraid to speak the truth, to put forth a plan and hold everyone (including himself) accountable to it.

9. He is a minority coach and that, here at Nebraska especially, is important because he is the first!

10. He's a former player that understands a winning culture. 

Now.. tell me again why "I" like MJ?

I’m not saying you specifically. I’m just talking about most of the Mickey supporters. From the fans to the administration, a good chunk of NU supporters seem to think that what happened 30 years ago has any relevance today. A program’s history will not carry it after decades of mediocrity. It is time to make an elite hire, not a mediocre one. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I’m not saying you specifically. I’m just talking about most of the Mickey supporters. From the fans to the administration, a good chunk of NU supporters seem to think that what happened 30 years ago has any relevance today. A program’s history will not carry it after decades of mediocrity. It is time to make an elite hire, not a mediocre one. 

How would you define “elite hire”? What are their characteristics as a leader?

1 hour ago, husker009 said:

Again, more assumptions on your part. You group people into categories and then label the groups accordingly. This is a common flaw on public forums. (One I find myself often guilty of sadly/shamefully) 

My point to you is there is reason for optimism. Tom Osborne had zero HC experience and was nearly chased away because "according to the arm chairs" he couldn't win the big one. Thankfully, TO stayed true to himself and to the young men he recruited. In MJ, I see a lot of the same characteristics. A man that parents will find it hard to not trust. A coach that young high school students will gravitate to and play for. A coach that has credibility within the administration and boosters because of his integrity. A coach that puts everyone ahead of himself and holds them accountable to themselves and to each other. 

You can boast you're perceptions of mediocrity all you want but you won't convince me that MJ is mediocre. He's a winner and will continue as such wherever he lands. Personally, I'm hoping Lincoln becomes his permanent address. As a HC or as associate HC but non the less, a permanent member of the huskers

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Why should the HC be a "great" offensive or defensive mind? They need to be a leader of the program which includes both the offense and defense. If we keep Mickey as HC, it's not the end of the world because he's shown he can squeeze juice from a lemon that appeared to be done for the year.

So “squeezing juice” is a lucky win over Rutgers and a win over a terrible Indiana team?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Again, more assumptions on your part. You group people into categories and then label the groups accordingly. This is a common flaw on public forums. (One I find myself often guilty of sadly/shamefully) 

My point to you is there is reason for optimism. Tom Osborne had zero HC experience and was nearly chased away because "according to the arm chairs" he couldn't win the big one. Thankfully, TO stayed true to himself and to the young men he recruited. In MJ, I see a lot of the same characteristics. A man that parents will find it hard to not trust. A coach that young high school students will gravitate to and play for. A coach that has credibility within the administration and boosters because of his integrity. A coach that puts everyone ahead of himself and holds them accountable to themselves and to each other. 

You can boast you're perceptions of mediocrity all you want but you won't convince me that MJ is mediocre. He's a winner and will continue as such wherever he lands. Personally, I'm hoping Lincoln becomes his permanent address. As a HC or a$$ HC but non the less, a permanent member of the huskers

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

And Aranda is "elite"?

He won a conference title in his second year at BAYLOR. Aranda would have by far the best resume of any coach NU has hired in the last 20 years. What has Mickey proven other than he can beat Indiana and Rutgers (two terrible teams). The only two teams with a pulse he’s played, he’s lost. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

IMO, there will be a new HC and MJ will be part of that staff going forward. Anything less than this is a failure by Trev. 

I think Trev will strongly recommend to the new coach that MJ stays on with the new coach, but it’s still the decision of the new Head Coach. The Head Coach needs to decide who is on his staff.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Trev will strongly recommend to the new coach that MJ stays on with the new coach, but it’s still the decision of the new Head Coach. The Head Coach needs to decide who is on his staff.

Unless your name is Urban Meyer you don’t have this luxury.  Trev better get this right before he hands over the keys.

• Haha 4