Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

It will be brought up because posters like you choose to bring up something to distract from the obvious reasons we shouldn't hire him.  I like MJ but he is not qualified to be the head coach here at Nebraska, yet.  Saying the first AD in Nebraska history to place a black head coach in charge will be in hot water for not hiring him full time is just plain ridiculous. 

I don’t bring it up because I’m racist. I’m just posting what others have said outside of husker board. I love what Micky has done with what he has. Does he deserve the job not quite yet but he has definitely made Trev job a lot harder and if he wins a few more games it’ll be even harder. I just want Neb to hire the right guy and not settle 

2 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t bring it up because I’m racist. I’m just posting what others have said outside of husker board. I love what Micky has done with what he has. Does he deserve the job not quite yet but he has definitely made Trev job a lot harder and if he wins a few more games it’ll be even harder. I just want Neb to hire the right guy and not settle 

I agree about MJ, especially if he wins a few more games.  I like a lot of what he says and feel like he has a good following with the players.  I just don't think race should enter into the conversation, even if it is just repeating others.

I think too many people view the rah rah side of coaching as the most important.  It couldn't be further from the truth imo.  A good head coach has to be an excellent manager.  There is so much to organize, so many to hold accountable, so many responsibilities to handle...  If MJ gets the job the learning curve will be very steep.    

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I agree about MJ, especially if he wins a few more games.  I like a lot of what he says and feel like he has a good following with the players.  I just don't think race should enter into the conversation, even if it is just repeating others.

I think too many people view the rah rah side of coaching as the most important.  It couldn't be further from the truth imo.  A good head coach has to be an excellent manager.  There is so much to organize, so many to hold accountable, so many responsibilities to handle...  If MJ gets the job the learning curve will be very steep.    

That last bit there is a nice dose of reality, hopes aside.  The first part irks me a bit because Nebraska is devoid of Black head coaches in any sport.  MJ is the first and he’s just the interim.  I do agree it should not matter.  It does, though.  

1 hour ago, presidentjlh said:

I don't want Urban, and I am of the mind that Trev doesn't want the program to deal with the headache that would come with hiring him either.

I too would get a headache from the sight of him hoisting the CFP trophy wearing NU gear. I’d think WW3 was about to start. It’s been so long since NU has won anything that I wouldn’t know what to do. For one, it would mean that NU stopped hiring nice guys and two, it would mean that NU stopped hiring people from the 90s and three, it would mean that NU has put the moral victory days behind them. It truly would feel like the apocalypse was upon us. But we can’t have that I guess because Urban doesn’t sing church hymns to the team and doesn’t peek into his peers’ personal lives. 

1 hour ago, LennynSquiggy said:

Trev needs to hire the right person for the job instead of listening to fans. Fan choices got us a hothead on the sidelines and also gave us Scott Frost and his 4 losing seasons.

Meh. I think it's a tenuous argument to say fan pressure was the root of the issue. Particularly because it's leaving out Callahan & Riley, who weren't fan choices at all but were also train wrecks.

I honestly can't believe the quantity of discussion around Urban Meyer. To me the odds of him being named seem astronomically small.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, we have been having top 20 classes now.  If we have the right coach and they start winning at the level our recruiting classes show, I would think we could then start getting 10-15 ranked classes and keep improving the win column.

But, we have to get the coach that will develop the talent we have, can show a clear path to keep improving and then start bringing in those even better classes.

GIF tony montana - animated GIF on GIFER - by Shataxe

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Meh. I think it's a tenuous argument to say fan pressure was the root of the issue. Particularly because it's leaving out Callahan & Riley, who weren't fan choices at all but were also train wrecks.

I honestly can't believe the quantity of discussion around Urban Meyer. To me the odds of him being named seem astronomically small.

I don't think Urban is coming here either although stranger things have happened.

Looking back, after watching the dumpster fires that were Riley and Frost, Callahan doesn't seem so bad. :)

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, LennynSquiggy said:

I don't think Urban is coming here either although stranger things have happened.

Looking back, after watching the dumpster fires that were Riley and Frost, Callahan doesn't seem so bad. :)

Callahan’s issue primarily was his defensive failures. He was too loyal to his buddy. The guy definitely fit the description of “grinder”. He spent considerable time in his office. Relating wasn’t his strong suit. Very good offensive line coach. Didn’t seem cut out to be a head coach though. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, LennynSquiggy said:

Trev needs to hire the right person for the job instead of listening to fans. Fan choices got us a hothead on the sidelines and also gave us Scott Frost and his 4 losing seasons.

1) I agree with your first point - I have a lot of confidence that Trev will hire based on his stated principles and traits he’s looking for in a HC.

2) The narrative that Frost was a “fan choice” hire is disingenuous and inaccurate at best. If you rewind to 2017, he was one of it not the biggest HC candidates as that season went along. Both Florida and Tennessee had him on their shortlists; in fact, most reports at the time had him as THE primary candidate for both those jobs in addition to Nebraska. 

It’s easy to dunk on him (and the hire) four years later but, at the time, it was nearly universally applauded across the CFB landscape.

But, that’s why I feel like I’ve learned my lesson as a Husker fan. MR was a weird hire that ended badly. SF was a great hire that ended badly. Whomever gets hired next shouldn’t get any of us too high or too low. It’s all a bit of a crapshoot at the end of the day.

• Plus1 3