Marcus Satterfield Hired as Offensive Coordinator

Red Five

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree.  But, wouldn't the hybrid H-back/TE/Fullback be the guy you need as a receiving threat and the other one could be more of a blocking TE?  If not, why would you put someone who isn't a receiving threat in the slot....for instance?

We aren't too far off in our thinking.  I don't want Fidone being the "hybrid" guy.  I want him to be the full-time, every down Tight End.  Yes, he can line up as a traditional TE, or out wide, but I want him to be the in the George Kittle role.  In my line of thinking the hybrid guy is more of a blocker, than a receiving or running threat.  He just lines up in different spots to be a blocker, but is also versatile enough to contribute in different spots on the field and potentially catch the ball if the defense ignores him.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think he could be in the hight 60's.  I feel like the receiving core and TE's are going to help out Sims more than the ones who 2AM was throwing to 

This. We may not have elite starting WRs right now but between Fleeks, Washington, and Kemp we have a solid core w a lot of experience, (which was lacking like you said) and guys like Coleman that have a very high ceiling and can be considered elite with time, this is a very good position for them to be in to learn from the older dogs. Throw in an accurate passer like Kaelin and the future is bright for Nebraskas passing game. We may actually be able to run the ball effectively then!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's on interesting video on the uptick of fullbacks and teams using non-fullbacks in that role (Luke Gifford gets a mention at 12:50). I think we'll do quite a bit of both - a big reason a lot NFL teams don't carry a true fullback is the roster size, which really isn't an issue at the college level. But Satterfield seems to love the athletes who can play multiple positions as well. So I'm sure we'll see guys like Liebentritt and Ruth as true fullbacks, but Bonner and these hybrid guys like Keelan Smith and Carter Nelson sometimes fill that role too.

The reason you saw more fullbacks in the NFL last year, and a general stronger emphasis on the running game, is the vastly increased usage of 2 high Safety looks across the league the past two years. You can simply do a lot more out of 2 high, especially with all of the Cover 4 / Cover 6 and other split field defenses now popular in the league. The downside of such defenses is risking a lighter box against things like 2 back or 2 tight sort of sets.

The NFL is simply responding the same way college teams did, only as usual about 5-10 years later. This is why I like White’s variant of 3-3-5 scheme. Most of these teams that operate out of base Nickel have 2 high with a smaller nickel back, and that just invites teams to go to these heavier sets. With White’s defense, you don’t know pre-snap what shell he’s going to be in and with a Rover instead of a smaller Nickel DB, he’s got on the field answers for more situations.

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 6/21/2023 at 2:02 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

We aren't too far off in our thinking.  I don't want Fidone being the "hybrid" guy.  I want him to be the full-time, every down Tight End.  Yes, he can line up as a traditional TE, or out wide, but I want him to be the in the George Kittle role.  In my line of thinking the hybrid guy is more of a blocker, than a receiving or running threat.  He just lines up in different spots to be a blocker, but is also versatile enough to contribute in different spots on the field and potentially catch the ball if the defense ignores him.

At SC, Satterfield would line up a TE everywhere. I think in one game I saw a TE put on a striped shirt and line up as an umpire.

• Haha 2
  • 2 months later...

20 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

A guy like Paul Chryst is a special analyst at Texas who just beat Bama. Why can’t we find room for him in a serious role on our staff?  We lack serious OL and QB coaching and it has greatly contributed to 2 losses.

I agree.  Serious programs hire coaches who are in between jobs for roles like this.  Nebraska has always hired no names and recent college graduates.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Bumping this thread with all the focus on Satterfield and the offense. 

But Why?  

Can you not just say your piece, get your feels out, with a few posts and move forward? 

I srsly do not understand the Satt blame. 

Maybe his plays do not call for turnovers.

Maybe Matt Rhule wants his team to win. 

Maybe we've seen some stuff happen that reminds of us the past 5-8 years or whatever.  

No matter how irritated you feel, just say it.  Say it a few times, get it out of your system, and move forward.  

Nebraskans (or any good men) do not want to be crybabies.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If you are happy with the selection of Satterfield just say it and defend him rather than questioning others who may disagree. 

I'm fine with selection of Satterfield. No concern with his play calling and scheme. I have do have serious concerns about Sims. And no I don't have to tie my opinion of Sims to Satterfield.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

I'm going to support this staff like I've supported all others previous. That doesn't mean that criticisms aren't valid. There are constructive ways of doing it. Ultimately, we have no control over how others choose to conduct themselves only how we do.

It's important to consider that while things don't always work out as intended, the intention was for it to. It's not that errors are made but that they are addressed and corrected.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'm fine with selection of Satterfield. No concern with his play calling and scheme. I have do have serious concerns about Sims. And no I don't have to tie my opinion of Sims to Satterfield.

Its hard to ignore the connection of Satterfield with Sims. After all Satterfield predicted Sims would have a breakout year.  And the offensive woes go beyond just Sims. It is still early and Rhule needs 3 years to turn this around, but Satterfield was the most questionable hire, especially given he is the highest paid NU assistant in history.  

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nebraska-oc-satterfield-predicts-breakout-year-for-jeff-sims/article_0662d835-75d1-5176-a7f1-d158173340ba.html

my only problem is our route combos.  I think our best route has been a hook/curl (completion wise) early in the game but then the defense just sits on it later and picks the ball off.  I don't feel like Satt schemes guys open.  The HH pass play in the MN game was about the only one but that play was shot the second time around when the defense noticed it. Would like to see more rub routes I guess.