New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

On 12/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, GSG said:

Simple. Don't let them get that close in the first place 

tenor.gif

Can't have 3rd and short when every run is 7 yards.  Big brain.

Called the Get Bent and Break scheme.  

Reminds me of Chin years 1 and 2 stepping his 175 lb free safeties into the box on short yardage situations.  That position became a pancake highlight reel with a 0% stop rate.

On a serious note, I'd like to be 295+ in the middle, with functional strength vs (Duval's 1975 philosophy), and twitchy edge/LB's that can hold in the run and attack a QB.  

On 12/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, huskerfan99 said:

Anyone that cut their teeth under Rocky Long is good in my book. Dude flat out knows defense. 

This is a good hire IMO.

This 100%. SDSU Aztec fan here. Expect to see pressure, pressure, pressure from your D, backers and safeties coming almost every play from any angle. Very confusing to an offense. You will need good cover corners because they will be in man coverage more often than not. High risk, high reward defense. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3

14 minutes ago, Dshawfan said:

This 100%. SDSU Aztec fan here. Expect to see pressure, pressure, pressure from your D, backers and safeties coming almost every play from any angle. Very confusing to an offense. You will need good cover corners because they will be in man coverage more often than not. High risk, high reward defense. 

One has to hope that our dbs don't play 10 yards off their guy on the line when they play man bc the underneath stuff hurt us bad last year.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
5 hours ago, Dshawfan said:

I’m excited to see pressure, pressure, pressure because we have sorely lacked this for the last decade. Agree we need some lockdown CB’s. I love this style and it fits the Blackshirts IMO but now we just got to get the players. 

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Dshawfan said:

Theoretically that should be good in the run happy division we are in.  Force the QB to beat you.

15 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I’m excited to see pressure, pressure, pressure because we have sorely lacked this for the last decade. Agree we need some lockdown CB’s. I love this style and it fits the Blackshirts IMO but now we just got to get the players. 

The scheme has worked very well at SDSU for about a decade now. Admittedly, we do not see the quality of teams week in and week out that Nebraska does, nor do we have the athletes that you guys do, so I am very curious to see how this scheme fares with B10 caliber teams and athletes. 

Hoping to see Nebraska return to the teams I remember from the days of my youth, and I go back to the days of Bob Devaney.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

To me, it seems like the scheme might be different, but it doesn't seem like the personnel it needs is too terribly different than what we have now. Seems like a good scheme for hybrid guys like Gifford (and Jojo).

Go down shooting. 
bring the heat. I’d rather be screamin “get him!!” A few feet away and miss (or actually get them) then watch a team get 6-12yd passes in the 4th qtr with no pressure or heat and having wide open guys catching and running 

• Plus1 1