** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Keep running. Don't let them play offense. Pressure Sanders every down...don't let him pass. They say he's like 112% completion when not pressured but drops down to 48% under pressure.

Two back sets, lean on rushing and implementing use of the TE's and fullback. Make them run. Throw the Wildcat at them! :)

• Oh Yeah! 3

Just finished watching the CU-TCU game. Congrats to CU and Coach Prime - they were ready to play and have some playmakers. QB Shedeur Sanders is extremely accurate, has a strong arm, and makes good decisions - he's the reason they won today. Travis Hunter is an absolute freak playing both ways and doing it at that high of a level. There are a few other skill players on CU's offense that look fast too. And their OL looked good, which I was really surprised at. I really like how CU came out and ran super uptempo offense right at the start since TCU didn't have any film on them - great idea.

But their defense looked mediocre to awful other than Hunter. And their kick coverage was atrocious. They'll be very exciting to watch this year. Hopefully S. Sanders and Hunter don't get injured because they're in big trouble if either one goes down. And I wonder how long Hunter and keep playing both ways - it's going to take a toll over the course of a season.

I don't think CU is nearly as good as a lot of posters in this thread, but it's still an amazing win against a top 20 team. I thought the NU-CU was a coin flip before this game with an edge to CU for home field, and I still think it'll be close but I'd give CU more of an edge having watched both teams play.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

I know there are a lot of posters here who think this is an automatic loss for Nebraska. For me I like this match-up and this Nebraska Colorado game reminds me of when Nebraska would play Wisconsin. On paper Nebraska would have what would appear as faster, more athletic players. Then game time comes and their RB runs for 400+ or Nebraska gets trounced 71-31. And the thing that would stick out to me during those games was how fundamentally sound and physical Wisconsin was. That needs to me Nebraska against Colorado. 11 guys playing fundamental, physical team football. On defense make Colorado have to try to run through you. On offense, just the opposite. Run right at Colorado all game long. Wear em down just like Wisconsin has done to Nebraska. By the 2nd half, I truly believe Nebraska can get l Colorado to tap out. 

I don't know if that's going to happen, but it can happen if Nebraska's coaches and players can get their $%^& together. Nebraska can beat Colorado. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I was against hiring Neon Deion because it looked like another big circus. It appears to have given immediate results to Colorado, a team that couldn't go anywhere but up. Sanders has gotten down to business and is now representing his team well; he's confident still but toned down the rhetoric. Congratulations to them.
While our offense is disappointing, I see a lot of improvement in other areas. My expectations were pretty high for this season...I need to knock that off. We made a good hire, we need to be patient and let them work it out.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
22 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Great players make defenses look bad

They do.  But TCU wasn't exactly a good defensive team last year.  Not sure they were even "bad".  Pretty poor really.  #95 in the country.  And they lost a ton.

I figured Colorado would have the two best athletes on the field in Hunter and Sanders.  I didn't realize Hunter was going to play offense as well.  Will be interesting to see how many plays he gets in next week at altitude.

I don't think Colorado's defense is all that great outside of Hunter and Sanders.  And their front seven definitely seems to be the weak part of a bad defense - TCU averaged 7.1 yards per carry.  So hopefully we can play some keep-away.

Because it's going to be hard to contain their offense.  They didn't run the ball a lot so our base being a 3-3-5 puts the right kind of guys out there.  But they've got two excellent weapons for Sanders to throw to and Horn was no slouch either.  We were on the short list for Dylan Edwards before Notre Dame came in and then Deion went to Colorado and stole him from Notre Dame.  He's a problem.  We absolutely will have to tackle in space.  

• Plus1 4