Randy Gregory

13 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Very true but such a different game in the 70s.  Pretty tough trying to play drunk today.  Players back then didn't workout in the off season and offensive linemen averaged about 260 pounds in that era. 

Good points. But I think an alcoholic Kenny Stabler still outplays half the starting QBs in the NFL right now. 

Not to underplay the affects of alcohol, but I don't think Kenny Stabler was a tortured soul. He enjoyed the game, loved to excel and perhaps did even better under pressure. Plenty of others in the pantheon of sports, including Babe Ruth.

With guys like Gregory it's more than the specific substance being abused.  

• Plus1 1
  • 4 months later...

On 10/24/2017 at 12:03 PM, Hammerhead said:

From what I know of Randy's situation, and from learning a lot about severe clinical depression over the past few years, I don't know if it's as much "addiction" as just simply being the only thing that he has found that helps him cope.  I used to be in the same boat as a lot of people, thinking that Randy is an idiot for choosing marijuana over football, but that was before I knew what anxiety and depression do to people.  

In a way I can see how it could be considered an addiction, but for Randy and a lot of people in his situation it's something that they almost literally can't live without.

I am sure glad my family and all the other farmers and ranchers find a way to cope with anxiety and depression without drugs or a lot of folks would be starving.  Maybe there is something about getting to work at 6am 7 days a week that actually helps a person.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I am sure glad my family and all the other farmers and ranchers find a way to cope with anxiety and depression without drugs or a lot of folks would be starving.  Maybe there is something about getting to work at 6am 7 days a week that actually helps a person

No you don't. Everything in my experience of growing up with cattlemen tells me this is a lie.

Learn what an anecdote is and when to use it as evidence. Your experience isn't representative of the general population. Can you see why it's obvious you're wrong there? All there needs to be is 1 farmer in the entire universe who does drugs, and that makes you wrong.

Like Pedro, I know several farmers who are alcoholics, which imo is much worse than smoking pot. My grandpa was one, my mom's best friend's husband was another. They both ruined their marriages over it. My grandpa completely destroyed his liver and died of his alcoholism before I was born, and my mom has nothing but bad things to say about him.

If you want to argue about the rate of drug use in farmers vs other populations, that might be better.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 5
22 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

No you don't. Everything in my experience of growing up with cattlemen tells me this is a lie.

I'm glad that I was able to post in the same thread as the foremost expert on all cattlemen in North America. Makes this day extra special. 

On 10/25/2017 at 10:59 AM, Cdog923 said:

Still shocked to see many people missing the point on this. 

I'm not. Willful ignorance is a pestilence that has taken over the minds of many in our country.

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 5

9 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I am sure glad my family and all the other farmers and ranchers find a way to cope with anxiety and depression without drugs or a lot of folks would be starving.  Maybe there is something about getting to work at 6am 7 days a week that actually helps a person.

Yeah they just turn to more "blue collar" ways of dealing with it like alcohol and domestic abuse.

• Plus1 7

I'm pretty sure there's at least some in every conceivable occupation who smoked a bit of wildwood weed at one time or another.   And it's perfectly fine for them to do so.  Well, unless they also want to play in the NFL.  

btw, What happened to our dope smoking emoti?  Did we lose that in the last software update?

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Randy Gregory