** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Like I said, I don't think Leach is going to be the guy.

That being said, I think this would be a destination job for him.  He was a Tech for 10 years and completing his 6th at WSU.  He's from Wyoming and he's in his mid 50's.  He hasn't had the resources that Nebraska has at any of his gigs.

What I'm saying is that I understand why Nebraska fans are sold out on Frost. He looks better on paper than any other "available" coach out there and he's younger than them. Even if he won a couple national championships in his first two seasons, he probably wouldn't jump to Alabama or the NFL just to prove that he could do it. He just doesn't seem like that type of guy. 

Would Leach? There's a decent chance. Would Sumlin? I don't think he would hesitate if somewhere bigger where he could "prove" himself came calling. 

So one of the pro's for Leach is that he's probably too old to go anywhere else because he probably would take a lot longer than Frost to be successful at Nebraska?

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Leach needs a unique situation to succeed.  He also needs a program that doesn't require much defensively.  Neither of those apply to Nebraska, it wouldn't go well.

I tend to disagree. Listen Frost would be first on my list, but Leach would be top 3 on my list as well. Leach can have a top notch offense anywhere he goes (like Frost), and Leach has finally found himself a stud DC in Grinch. I think Leach would be very successful in Lincoln. Its a shame people see air-raid and dismiss it. Leach doesn't run an offense that requires top 10 recruiting classes to be successful, in a sense I think that's exactly what Nebraska needs. I know people will be dismissive because its not Frost - but it's at least an interesting discussion to have.

14 minutes ago, Redux said:

Leach needs a unique situation to succeed.  He also needs a program that doesn't require much defensively.  Neither of those apply to Nebraska, it wouldn't go well.

This statement is a gross generalization.  

He's led two programs.  Both were in rough shape when he got there and they are/were TOP 15 programs when he left.  I'm too lazy to look up Tech defensive stuff, but I know the WSU defense has been praised for a lot of the team's success this year.  Specifically the D Line.  Both Washington and Washington State are ranked in the Top 10 in total D.  Be interesting game on Saturday.

I watched them lose to Cal.  I don't know why any good team takes the Thursday/Friday night away game....total trap.  I actually think Clemson lost to Syracuse the same day.  No idea what happened in their Arizona loss, but this program has done a 180 in just 5 years.

Edited by gobiggergoredder
  • Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Here! Here!  No Leach.  He's fine just where he is.  Besides, I thought he already said he wasn't interested in the Nebraska job when Moos was hired. We don't need anothe split in the fan base, it's suffered enough. Scott come home.  GBR!

This has nothing to do with whether or not he'd come to Lincoln, but I have a cousin in Washington who is an alum there and a huge fan.  From what he says, the fans there really, really like Leach.  He (cousin) has made numerous threats if we even think of taking their coach....  heh heh.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

The way Scott Frost dispelled the rumor makes me think that he is either staying at UCF or going Florida. It is much easier to recruit down there than it is in Nebraska. The chances of us getting Frost in Lincoln are less than 20%. I definitely do not want the Leach in Nebraska. I do not enjoy his style of football. Even though people are hating on Tressel, he has proven that he can win in the Big 10. He looks smart and probably can outsmart many of the coaches in this conference. Chip Kelly is someone that can bring the recruits but his style is too west coast. If Scott turns us down, I would hope we get one of the following in this order:

(1) Bob Stoops

(2) Jim Tressel

(3) Chip Kelly

(4) The mad hatter Les Miles

(5) Whoever is coaching Boise State...they always find a way to win

200w.gif

• Plus1 2
Just now, grandpasknee said:

This has nothing to do with whether or not he'd come to Lincoln, but I have a cousin in Washington who is an alum there and a huge fan.  From what he says, the fans there really, really like Leach.  He (cousin) has made numerous threats if we even think of taking their coach....  heh heh.

I just took a look at one of their message boards and there was not a word about Leaxh coming here. He has a good thing going at WSU. Let him stay their and be the 'Pirate' to his hearts content, just don't come here.  Besides, Scott Frost will be our next new Head Coach. 

1 minute ago, C N Red said:

200w.gif

THIS made me laugh out loud! Good one C.

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

c5m52.jpg

Like SF as a better long term prospect than ML but I'll stand by what I have always said:  ML is one top shelf defenseive coordinator away from being a nightmare for opposing coaches.  If he comes, who he chooses as DC will tell the tale.

20 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I tend to disagree. Listen Frost would be first on my list, but Leach would be top 3 on my list as well. Leach can have a top notch offense anywhere he goes (like Frost), and Leach has finally found himself a stud DC in Grinch. I think Leach would be very successful in Lincoln. Its a shame people see air-raid and dismiss it. Leach doesn't run an offense that requires top 10 recruiting classes to be successful, in a sense I think that's exactly what Nebraska needs. I know people will be dismissive because its not Frost - but it's at least an interesting discussion to have.

How has that West Coast style worked for the last 3 years against the Big Ten?  And that stud DC is defending against PAC12 teams.  Pass heavy offense VS Big Ten is a recipe for disaster, see NU 2017.

18 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This statement is a gross generalization.  

He's led two programs.  Both were in rough shape when he got there and they are/were TOP 15 programs when he left.  I'm too lazy to look up Tech defensive stuff, but I know the WSU defense has been praised for a lot of the team's success this year.  Specifically the D Line.  Both Washington and Washington State are ranked in the Top 10 in total D.  Be interesting game on Saturday.

I watched them lose to Cal.  I don't know why any good team takes the Thursday/Friday night away game....total trap.  I actually think Clemson lost to Syracuse the same day.  No idea what happened in their Arizona loss, but this program has done a 180 in just 5 years.

Let me elaborate then.  He would cone in with his wonky offense.  It would take minimum 2-3 years to see it start working.  Meanwhile, whatever DC he hires would have to scrap year 1 after realizing tbe Big Ten is harder physically, year 2 start over etc.  At best, we see more 8-9 win seasons.  That's his ceiling at a place like this, I promise. At Tech he had a fertile amount of athletes to really churn out yards and points, at Wazzu it's just now starting to click but it still isn't fully there.

And from a cultural standpoint he wouldn't like this job IMO, likewise this fanbase wouldn't like him.  It's a bad fit, just like Bielma would be.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 2

Ok. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Before I start, remember we are all on the same team.

My brain has run a full 360 !  I WANT Frost.  Right now, he seems like the "one and only" guy who can UNITE the fan base.  At first, I was skeptical, then Tuesday, I heard through my grapevine that SF had an offer since early November and he was dragging feet.  Tuesday night, Hedley throws a TON OF CONFICENCE about SF being N.  I completely bought in to this notion.  (Still trust Hedley, and hope), but then Wednesday rolls around and reading WAY too much about SF not coming.  Holding out hope, but compared to the confidence that I had Tuesday night, I am slipping backwards.

To those who think that Frost is the only man in the world that can "save" Nebraska....WAKE UP !   I want SF because he is probably the ONLY person that Husker Nation will give the proper amount of time too.  We are the absolute laughing stock of college football.  In fact, someone in the national media said yesterday that "they hoped TAM got 'Nebraska'd', for firing Sumlin".  They referred to us as a disaster and that we got what we deserved for running 2 successful coaches out of town for not winning NC !!   I can't argue ! 

WE NEED STABILITY !!! or we will NEVER, EVER return.  

I am tired of hearing that other coaches won't fit our "system" or "culture".  Sorry, we don't have a "system" or "culture" any more.  Ever since TO and Frank left, we have been a collective bowl of crap, with our "system" being all over the board.  We haven't left anyone in place long enough to develop a system or culture.  

Look around.  SF "system" doesn't fit "our system".  What is "our system".  SF doesn't run the ball a ton.  What will we say when on 3rd and 1 he lines up in the gun, motion out to empty backfield and throws incomplete?  Watch UCF.  That is what they do.  Will we say "ok" because it is Frost.....YES... but we crucify anyone else that does that, bc it doesn't fit "our style".  SF will NOT change his offense back to old school Nebraska if that is what people are thinking or hoping for.  I like UCF offense, not saying I don't, just tired of people stuck in 70-90s....which by the way is during my time frame too. 

Leach would be just fine, he WINS.  

Ken N. (Navy), would be just fine, he WINS

Belima......is getting fired...stay away

I want Scott Frost horribly, but I dread the "non-fair" shake the next will get because he isn't SF.  If Frost comes in and struggles for the first 3 years, he will get sympathy and time.  If "X" comes in and struggles (just like SF), he will be chastised and run out of town, keeping us in the same spiral we are in.  How about getting behind whoever it is, remember what got us here in the first place, and pour all of our support for the program, rather than being divided.

Edited by HANC
addition
  • Plus1 3

WHY are we still furthering the narrative that Bo got fired for winning?  He got fired for his s#!tty attitude and his crap record against legitimate competition, seriously it's like 5-19 over 7 years against teams that finish in the top 25.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 7
3 minutes ago, Redux said:

WHY are we still furthering the narrative that Bo got fired for winning?  He got fired for his s#!tty attitude and his crap record against legitimate competition, seriously it's like 5-19 over 7 years against teams that finish in the top 25.

I don't think "WE" are.  I am stating that this is the perception of the National Media and just about everyone who isn't a Husker fan !   Whether we like it or not, PERCEPTION is important.  Recruiting (players and coaches).  Right now, it isn't good.

Just now, HANC said:

I don't think "WE" are.  I am stating that this is the perception of the National Media and just about everyone who isn't a Husker fan !   Whether we like it or not, PERCEPTION is important.  Recruiting (players and coaches).  Right now, it isn't good.

It's a bulls#!t copout and lazy reporting.  Coaches aren't stupid, everyone knows why Bo was fired.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's a bulls#!t copout and lazy reporting.  Coaches aren't stupid, everyone knows why Bo was fired.

The point he is making is Pederson started this when firing Solich, and we have to get back to stability to return to relevance. SF would stay if successful, and would unite the fanbase.  Hiring him to an 8 year deal and supporting him all the way is probably our best hope.

Edited by runningblind