Jeff Sims, the Offensive Struggles, and Overall Physicality

For all my praise of Rhule’s staff, the one thing that surprised me was no QB coach. Michigan has a separate QB Coach from the OC. I’d love a list of the teams that DON’T have one. 

I realize that their first priority might have been teaching the offensive playbook, but they are doing Sims no favors in allowing him to play with bad habits like staring down his receiver & throwing off the back foot.

Honestly the people in Nebraska most excited about what was seen last night are probably Danny Kaelin & his family. Maybe he could get a head start on Corey Campbell’s strength & conditioning program at his high school?

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Undone said:

Rhule said that Alberts made comments about wanting power football. I think it's really possible that the staff, for whatever reason, dialed in for a smashmouth QB scheme as opposed to building a scheme for year 1 that maximized the talent they had on the roster.

On the one hand, Sims made so much sense because he came in with two years of eligibility, and Thompson just had the one season left. But they could have found a way to use both guys.

I saw nothing but "one-dimensional" when I watched Sims' film at Georgia Tech. But it's always possible he improves in the passing game.

Jeff isn't one-dimensional. Just needs to make better decisions and improve his throws. Maximizing his effectiveness will likely require some adjustments too. I think that's true with respect to what you said about that type of quarterback. With Sims they buy some time and we don't have the weapons now that play more toward Thompson's strengths.

I did however admire Casey's leadership. That's an area Sims will need to improve upon as well. 

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Well, taking into account the lack of WR weapons and the O-Line shakiness, if you give me a choice between a QB that can run and a QB that can't run, I'll take the QB that is mobile. I will say, Casey Thompson most likely completes that deep bomb to Hill.

With the likes of Palmer the picture is much different. We'll have some speedy receivers eventually and they don't have the experience. The reality is that our offensive line proves limiting to what we can do. The QB with more athleticism has advantages as you say. Thompson completes the deep ball although what are the disadvantages to his being less mobile, not having players that complement his abilities and having a line that struggles with protection. 

• Plus1 1

We did look tougher.

With the right play calling, Sims could easily be JLo 2.0. PA, roll out, designed QB runs.  Bring in some some RPO off of the zone read.  Kinda like Coastal Carolina did….

Use a 2 back set until we get up to speed.  Extra blocker, can run some option AND allows Sims a safe check down.

Where were the TE ‘s?  I know Sims missed the TD underneath, but he was probably as surprised as I was to see one.  

• Thanks 1

How in the world could anyone make a fair assessment of that offense.  With zero wide receiver play, suspect o-line, and the usual suspect play calling.  But to be fair, how could you call a game with our receiving talent and our QB.  Sims is a runner who can throw some.  Jamal Lord like.  Minnesota is not going to win more than 5 or 6 this season.  Maybe less than 5.  Right now, I think were lucky to win 4 games this season with this current offense.  Given that we are still lacking key talent in the right areas, 4 to 5 wins would do this program some good.  We just don't have great line play on eitherside, but we have some good linebackers and secondary players.  Grant is the best running back, but seems to have developed some fumbling issues.  I will not bash the coaching right now.  Thats to easy.  This is still a talent issue.  We are still lacking major playmakers.  Pelini, Riley, Frost and now Rhule.  Its time folks to realize its not coaching as much as its getting talent to come to Lincoln and play like CHAMPIONS.  Rhule is the going to be the only one on that list who has a chance to bring in talent.  Frost should have but was a lazy recruiter.  Doesn't matter.  Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA are ahead us and will enter being better.  We lost our chance to gain some clout with some bad hires in Riley and Frost.  We will be in the lower tier for some time to come.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Got off base with that last post some.  Sims is a running QB.  We can win with that, but forget vertical passing with our WR's. I am not sure we actually have good running backs yet.  Irvin is suspect.  Grant to me is the better, but fumbles. 

Rhule better get out and start finding every hidden gem hiding under a rock and get them here.

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, HuskerX said:

“And it begins” - LOL !

What’s the O/U for how many games before local sportswriters 100% turn on Rhule & Co.? My guess is 19 games.

Rhule is one of the highest paid coaches in the game and the highest paid employee in the state. He is not above criticism. 

Sims was his buddies QB who ended up getting fired. Satterfield is also his buddy who wasn't very popular with SC fans. Neither looked good last night both were Matt Rhule choices.

• Plus1 4

Nearly everyone expected Neb to lose by a TD, or more. We actually played toe to toe with a better team.  We made more mistakes and nearly won the damn game. We lost on a final play FG to prevent OT.  To read this board and most other reporting, Neb should suddenly have been a three TD winner?

What gives?   I just don’t understand the entire attitude.  

A last minute change of mind and all the negative naysayers become Nebraska fans for a few days only to quickly transform back into bashers.    I suspect that the 3 year resurrection plan became a one game miracle failure.  

What head coach would ever want the job if he’s given one game?   What players / recruits would even consider Big Red with a rotten egg fan base?  This team and staff deserves better than this crap.  Just my opinion. 

Constructive criticisms are one thing.  Name calling and mean spirited BS spewing is outrageous.  

We could have won that game, despite some glaring first game errors.  A win would have been a HUGE upset.  Period.  It almost happened. 

I, for maybe the only one, see a lot of positives and look forward to moving forward in the long term Husker football rebuilding plan.  This season may surprise people. It may not, for those, who somehow, imagine that one game is the beginning and ending of Husker football, once again. 

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Nearly everyone expected Neb to lose by a TD, or more. We actually played toe to toe with a better team.  We made more mistakes and nearly won the damn game. We lost on a final play FG to prevent OT.  To read this board and most other reporting, Neb should suddenly have been a three TD winner?

A last minute change of mind and all the negative naysayers become Nebraska fans for a few days only to quickly transform back into bashers.    I suspect that the 3 year resurrection plan became a one game miracle failure.  

What head coach would ever want the job if he’s given one game?   What players / recruits would even consider Big Red with a rotten egg fan base?  This team and staff deserves better than this crap.  Just my opinion. 

Constructive criticisms are one thing.  Name calling and mean spirited BS spewing is outrageous.  

We could have won that game, despite some glaring first game errors.  A win would have been a HUGE upset.  Period.  It almost happened. 

I, for maybe the only one, see a lot of positives and look forward to moving forward in the long term Husker football rebuilding plan.  This season may surprise people. It may not, for those, who somehow, imagine that one game is the beginning and ending of Husker football, once again. 

Great post!

This needs to be quoted in just about every thread since 8:00 on Thursday evening.

You are not the only one to feel this way.  

• Fire 2
11 hours ago, deedsker said:

I will raise you with Cody Green. Even with the 09 defense he still needs a special teams score to keep Nebraska above water against a RG3less Baylor with a third string qb of their own.

Ooh that is a really good call. The Troy team that beat Bunch was probably pretty on par to that Baylor squad. Tough call!

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I agree with this, but most of the complaints I've seen is the old same s#!t, different year. Not so much that we lost, but this loss looked very similar to all the other one score losses the teams had for however many years now. The team plays better/equal with their opponent, make some mistakes that keep points off the board, and then make a huge mistake that lets the opponent get the lead in the last minute.

This Minnesota team felt like all the other Minnesota teams the last few years, minus someone like Ibrahim. They'll probably win 7 or 8 games as their defense is well coached and will make sure that their offense doesn't need to score too much to get a victory. With the Big West kind of in a transition year with a number of teams (Purdue losing its coach, NW's mess and other things), they should be able to get to the number.

It's annoying that they focus on that instead of the things we improved. Special teams looked solid with the only mistake being Kemp not catching the first punt, but that only traveled something like 20 yards in the air and then got a lucky initial bounce that brought the ball down to the 1. Defense already looks like they have playable depth. In the first half, Minnesota ran 32 plays and Nebraska had 15 different players involved in a tackle. The offense took their TOP deficit in the first half and made it almost equal by the end of the game.

12 hours ago, lo country said:

We did look tougher.

With the right play calling, Sims could easily be JLo 2.0. PA, roll out, designed QB runs.  Bring in some some RPO off of the zone read.  Kinda like Coastal Carolina did….

Use a 2 back set until we get up to speed.  Extra blocker, can run some option AND allows Sims a safe check down.

Where were the TE ‘s?  I know Sims missed the TD underneath, but he was probably as surprised as I was to see one.  

jammal lord was a freak athlete. sims does not have the speed he had.

• TBH 1