Jeff Sims, the Offensive Struggles, and Overall Physicality

On 9/1/2023 at 3:56 PM, Xmas32 said:

Well, taking into account the lack of WR weapons and the O-Line shakiness, if you give me a choice between a QB that can run and a QB that can't run, I'll take the QB that is mobile. I will say, Casey Thompson most likely completes that deep bomb to Hill.

Did y'all forget the beginning of the year last season when Thompson under threw deep ball after deep ball to a wide open Palmer? He nailed it in the Purdue and Iowa game but there is no way you are going to say that you take a single deep throw and Casey would for sure hit it. I'm pretty sure he missed a deep ball that was easier to hit in game 1 vs northwestern. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
38 minutes ago, Cornbred said:

Who is the freshman receiver we got out of Omaha? I can't think of his name. He is supposed to be able to expose defenses deep. Why not burn his shirt and get some speed on the field?

I believe you are thinking of Malachi Coleman. He is from Lincoln though. Not sure if he is ready yet. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Wouldn't put this all on Sims.

Offense is inept. Teddy needs to start over Corcoran and Evan-Jenkins needs to start somewhere on that line (dude was impressive when he was in). Since the current WRs aren't cutting it we need to go young. The young WRs are at least more threatening than the current guys.  Then

Rhule and Co need to develop a gameplan around Ervin/Johnson and the TEs.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

Just gonna watch the games. 
I have no expectations anymore. We give away winnable games, par/course. 

we did look much more functional and organized.  Definitely looked tougher.  Won’t beat Sisters of the Poor w turnovers. 

positive is that we may finally have all 3 phases working together for once, if things start to click. 

we have some ballers but nothing explosive. I’m down for this season to see what Rhule can dig out of our players. 

I voted 7 wins and still think we can get there. I’m cool with how things go. 

• Fire 1

I still fail to understand why Rhule did not do everything possible to retain Casey Thompson. He was one of the few bright spots of last year’s team. Sims can run but his throwing is a disaster. He stares down his receivers and his deep throws are inaccurate or short. The Big Ten is good and we can’t win without scoring points. Our offense is suspect at best. Defense was much better than last year. I honestly do not see how we can get to 6-6 given that our out of conference games are not easy. Northern Illinois is a very good team. Colorado looked to have legit weapons. It is going to be another long and very disappointing season unless somehow we pull a win in Colorado next week. Sorry, drank some koolaid earlier.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, skers83 said:

I believe you are thinking of Malachi Coleman. He is from Lincoln though. Not sure if he is ready yet

But how can that be?  :dunno 

We need WR depth.  He's 6'4, super fast, and our #1 recruited player.

After watching Colorado play TCU, I'm pretty sure that Malachi Coleman would have played in some series if he was on Prime's team.  Maybe just 12 routes during a game, but that is just 3 snaps per quarter.  That's not overwhelming or too much to expect out of a kid with that kind of talent.  He might even make a play or two and build upon it.

I thought about that when we played Minnesota.  What/how/who holds a 4 star recruit with size and speed from playing day 1?  It's the coach's job to help him get on the field when you have a player that is extremely talented and has all the measurables. 

He's either gone in 3 years (NFL) or gone in 1 year (transfer).  He's not going to be a 5th year redshirt guy.  I say you need to get him on the field and see how he can contribute.  If we really are rebuilding, then we can accept growing pains.  Get him on the field - 10 plays a game :)  Help him to succeed.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, admo said:

After watching Colorado play TCU,

I thought about that when we played Minnesota.  What/how/who holds a 4 star recruit with size and speed from playing day 1? 

I'd say the recruit determines it.

• TBH 1
8 hours ago, admo said:

After watching Colorado play TCU, I'm pretty sure that Malachi Coleman would have played in some series if he was on Prime's team.  Maybe just 12 routes during a game, but that is just 3 snaps per quarter.  That's not overwhelming or too much to expect out of a kid with that kind of talent.  He might even make a play or two and build upon it.

I thought about that when we played Minnesota.  What/how/who holds a 4 star recruit with size and speed from playing day 1?  It's the coach's job to help him get on the field when you have a player that is extremely talented and has all the measurables. 

He's either gone in 3 years (NFL) or gone in 1 year (transfer).  He's not going to be a 5th year redshirt guy.  I say you need to get him on the field and see how he can contribute.  If we really are rebuilding, then we can accept growing pains.  Get him on the field - 10 plays a game :)  Help him to succeed.

Read something from SSO, at Herbies Hangout pre season that he has a work ethic issue.  Said he has the talent to be all conference, but needs marry that with putting in work.  Also read Washington was suspended for the first half and that Isaac Garcia Castaneda got hurt and might be out all season….

• Fire 1