What did we learn? NIU Edition

I was a bit more impressed with Grant and Ervin this week. I know it was a weaker opponent, but both seem to have played with more fire and intent.

Grant lowering his shoulder and smashing that DB in the 3rd quarter was great. Ervin followed that play with another tough run of his own. Both went for first downs.

Neither is a game-breaker. But if we can lean on teams with that 1-2 combination, we have a chance of winning more than four games this year.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Our defense is solid. They tackle well, they swarm opposing running backs, they cover wide receivers, and they just play hard every snap. The difference in the games will be our offensive production. The lack of reliable weapons on offense is a concern and against the good teams, the offense stalls which puts our defense on the field for long periods of time. It was a good first win but consistency of winning will depend on how well our offense can play. Winning two in a row can really help this team. 

At one point, I may or may not have verbally lamented that I wished Ervin/Grant had just that little bit of extra speed to turn those 8-yard runs into 15-20+ yard runs. I thought back to what it felt like watching Abdullah, where defenders would have promising angles and Abdullah's speed would be just too quick for them. 

I think Grant and Ervin are good players but it does look like they're a quarter or half step slower than what would make them a true difference maker.

• Plus1 3

It hasn't quite been 24 hours yet, but there has been plenty of time since the game ended to form some real thoughts about the game.

Was very happy to see the Huskers win

Was very happy for the team to experience a win

Northern Illinois had the least talented, and least athletic offense I have seen since we played Fordham and North Dakota.  

Their QB was awful, and their receivers were terrible.  Their running game was pathetic.  Their scheme was flat and played like Fordham and North Dakota.  

The Blackshirts shut them down pretty much, which is what a good defense does.  So that was great to see.  We all loved that.  The Blackshirts were aggressive and did what they should do to a s#!tty opponent.  And I do mean s#!tty.

The offense made some plays, and I'm sure everyone was happy to clap for those 3-6 yard QB runs.  Haarberg ran hard with the ball.  Played physical.  So did Ervin and Grant.  It was old fashion 2000's style football.  And he made some nice throws too.  

I'm glad when the Huskers can prove they can win these type of games.  You know they can, but you want to see it happen to believe it.  And it wasn't sloppy either, which is a bonus.  One turnover isn't terrible when the offense runs 60-75 plays.  

Overall, I'd say the Huskers did everything pretty well to beat a s#!tty Northern Illinois team.  Will be interesting to see if they can win two in a row.  

Our goal of getting 6 wins and a bowl game is still alive and on the table.  This was a really good dominating win.  Now we can look at our schedule for 5 more wins.  One at a time, but LaTech, NW, Illinois and Purdue look more winnable now then ever.  Just got to take care of business and get it done.  The 6th win would be impressive.

And finally, Matt Rhule must have been eating salty sunflower seeds and pretzels between plays.  WTF was that?  And if you are a coach or AD, talk to him about it.  And remind him that if the team can change, he can change too and stop the tongue thing too.  

• Plus1 3

Being at the game, and seeing it in person, one thing that stuck out was this: Thomas Fidone. I didn't realize that kid was so big - for whatever reason, I couldn't see it on TV before. Wherever he lines up, the guy in front of him is literally out-manned significantly. Is it crazy to thing that a 6-10 yard curl would be nearly automatic? He could basically box-out the defender, and the QB (HH or JS) just throw it chest level. Pitch and catch. 

At this point, we don't really have any real difference-makers, no real edge on offense. We can't run it real well, and we definitely aren't a huge threat passing downfield.  Fidone, however, could be a problem for defenses. Not that we should force it, but he would pull defenders away from places they would probably rather be, opening up other receivers, or setting up running lanes.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
18 hours ago, Undone said:

If there's a "most improved player" award, it maybe goes to Nash Hutmacher. The guy's motor is real and he just shows up on every down to do some damage.

Tony White makes Erik Chinander look like hammered dog s***. The disguised coverages and secondary play is really doing some good things. And our tackling is pretty great.

I try really hard to not dog on play calling because I think it's often times pretty lazy by fans. But there were long stretches of this game where Satterfield just looked so dumb. I get it, you're trying to make them think you'll always run on first down so then you call a drop-back passing play. But it cost us pretty bad several times. On the second drive he completely went away from the zone read running plays. Why?

Our running backs showed some individual effort in the second half to keep fighting and cut outside to keep looking for space. We've needed more of that kind of stuff ever since Dedrick Mills graduated.

I hope nothing causes Haarberg to transfer out. He has some real potential.

Totally agree and I thought he needed to never play because he was so bad.  But now playing a true NT spot, head up, he is really good.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
Just now, Jeremy said:

Being at the game, and seeing it in person, one thing that stuck out was this: Thomas Fidone. I didn't realize that kid was so big - for whatever reason, I couldn't see it on TV before. Wherever he lines up, the guy in front of him is literally out-manned significantly. Is it crazy to thing that a 6-10 yard curl would be nearly automatic? He could basically box-out the defender, and the QB (HH or JS) just throw it chest level. Pitch and catch. 

At this point, we don't really have any real difference-makers, no real edge on offense. We can't run it real well, and we definitely aren't a huge threat passing downfield.  Fidone, however, could be a problem for defenses. Not that we should force it, but he would pull defenders away from places they would probably rather be, opening up other receivers, or setting up running lanes.

Ha!  Yeah, Fidone is huge!  I was at the game too and noticed that.

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, admo said:

It hasn't quite been 24 hours yet, but there has been plenty of time since the game ended to form some real thoughts about the game.

Was very happy to see the Huskers win

Was very happy for the team to experience a win

Northern Illinois had the least talented, and least athletic offense I have seen since we played Fordham and North Dakota.  

Their QB was awful, and their receivers were terrible.  Their running game was pathetic.  Their scheme was flat and played like Fordham and North Dakota.  

The Blackshirts shut them down pretty much, which is what a good defense does.  So that was great to see.  We all loved that.  The Blackshirts were aggressive and did what they should do to a s#!tty opponent.  And I do mean s#!tty.

The offense made some plays, and I'm sure everyone was happy to clap for those 3-6 yard QB runs.  Haarberg ran hard with the ball.  Played physical.  So did Ervin and Grant.  It was old fashion 2000's style football.  And he made some nice throws too.  

I'm glad when the Huskers can prove they can win these type of games.  You know they can, but you want to see it happen to believe it.  And it wasn't sloppy either, which is a bonus.  One turnover isn't terrible when the offense runs 60-75 plays.  

Overall, I'd say the Huskers did everything pretty well to beat a s#!tty Northern Illinois team.  Will be interesting to see if they can win two in a row.  

Our goal of getting 6 wins and a bowl game is still alive and on the table.  This was a really good dominating win.  Now we can look at our schedule for 5 more wins.  One at a time, but LaTech, NW, Illinois and Purdue look more winnable now then ever.  Just got to take care of business and get it done.  The 6th win would be impressive.

And finally, Matt Rhule must have been eating salty sunflower seeds and pretzels between plays.  WTF was that?  And if you are a coach or AD, talk to him about it.  And remind him that if the team can change, he can change too and stop the tongue thing too.  

You do remember their QB right? We've seen him before.  He was terrible this day and 5 years hasn't made him any better.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401012887

Also, that tongue thing.  My buddies and I couldn't stop talking about it either, very strange.

• Plus1 2

Honestly, this game is hard to form any kind of opinon on.  Glad we did win and win convincingly.  I do have a question:  Can our base defense contain anyone, or do we have to blitz or apply pressure to get things done?  What I mean is it seems as if we have to bring some heat to make things happen.  That concerns me to a point.  We now have game film on us and our defense.  Will stronger opposing teams have all they need to scheme against us knowing our defense is a one trick pony.  As long as our D can make the pressure work, its no big deal.  We will find out against Michigan.

• TBH 1