Sims vs HH

ndobney

2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Rhule's decision to go back to Sims given the 3 games we have seen this seen is mind boggling and has lowered my confidence in Rhule.  NIU is quite a bit better than LA Tech so Sims will need to help the team win by at least 30 points.

I don’t have a problem with Rhule putting him back ahead of HH. He shouldn’t lose the #1 job because of injury. But I will have a problem if he doesn’t get yanked after committing yet another unforced turnover. And I did have a problem with Rhule not pulling him from the CU game. I guess I’m willing to give them both another chance before getting too excited.

• Plus1 7
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t have a problem with Rhule putting him back ahead of HH. He shouldn’t lose the #1 job because of injury. But I will have a problem if he doesn’t get yanked after committing yet another unforced turnover. And I did have a problem with Rhule not pulling him from the CU game. I guess I’m willing to give them both another chance before getting too excited.

I would agree if Sims had just one game of high turnovers but we have seen that in both games.  Maybe Sims will magically approve but I am not confident.

Also, HH looks to be a much more accurate passer than Sims who has started 25 games. If Sims has not become a good passer in that timeframe, I am not confident he will learn that now.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

They are?  Numbers say they are pretty similar.  And both terrible.

SP+

La Tech #96 overall

NIU #119 overall

ESPN FPI

NIU #104 

La Tech #115

NIU beat Boston College and LA Tech does not have a comparable win. Perhaps I am putting too much emphasis on the BC win, but I don't see LA tech being able to keep up with BC.

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I would agree if Sims had just one game of high turnovers but we have seen that in both games.  Maybe Sims will magically approve but I am not confident.

Also, HH looks to be a much more accurate passer than Sims who has started 25 games. If Sims has not become a good passer in that timeframe, I am not confident he will learn that now.

Oh I’m not confident Sims will get straightened out either. But I am hopeful that the coaches will be quicker to pull the plug on him after seeing HH handle some game action.

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I have not seen that yet. Sims INTs were bad decisions more than inaccurate throws (outside of his first one against Minnesota), and neither of them have looked good on deep shots. This is fairly subjective, but the actual ball placement from Haarberg has been pretty bad IMO.

A few examples - Fidone's catch against Colorado should have been a pick, it needed to be inside and it was thrown high and outside. Washington had to make a really good play on his 3rd down conversion late against NIU, he had the DB boxed out and the throw was far enough behind him that it took a good adjustment and almost cost him the momentum needed to get the first down. Both have made good sideline throws.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

NIU beat Boston College and LA Tech does not have a comparable win. Perhaps I am putting too much emphasis on the BC win, but I don't see LA tech being able to keep up with BC.

BC is also terrible.  #111 in FPI and #83 in SP+.

And NIU lost to a FCS team (Southern Illinois).

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
48 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Boston College barely escaped an FCS team, and lost to NIU.  I think the Florida State game is the outlier in those 3. I think LA Tech is better than NIU based on what I've seen to date.

• Plus1 1

HH starts at QB, Sim at RB, HH remains QB, occasionally we shift formations and Sims becomes wildcat qb that can run a pop pass if its there, we could also run an option pass and a halfback pass if the staff feels comfortable and Simms wants the opportunity to toss the ball once in a while. Unless Simms is blind to his own faults he's realized he's not an NFL QB and should be willing to try new roles to see how he could potentially make an NFL roster. Better QBs than Simms have had to change positions to play in the NFL.

• Haha 2