Sims vs HH

ndobney

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Not sure we can really use the "difference in competition" argument.

Total defense rankings:

Minnesota #72

Colorado #128

Northern Illinois #25

Louisiana Tech #95

Relative SOS rankings:

Minnesota: 45th

Colorado: 3rd

Northern Illinois: 114th

Louisiana Tech: 119th

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Neither - portal

Bingo- let’s finish the year 8-5 or 9-4 with a bunch of momentum for the first time since 09 and actually look like an attractive destination to a quality p5 qb looking for a great situation that is simply missing a qb with a pulse and playmaking ability to take us to the next level

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I feel like HH could a good 'college' qb with a whole offseason of reps. it'll be interesting to see who is the starter next year.

it's pretty rare to find a qb in the portal that is going to step in and be great.

the big ten west is a complete dumpster fire, but if HH keeps winning idk why you'd replace him next year.

• Fire 1
32 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

I feel like HH could a good 'college' qb with a whole offseason of reps. it'll be interesting to see who is the starter next year.

it's pretty rare to find a qb in the portal that is going to step in and be great.

the big ten west is a complete dumpster fire, but if HH keeps winning idk why you'd replace him next year.

If they can correct his throwing motion, if he can get more confidence pitching the ball, and cut down on the turnovers, I don't see why he wouldn't go into next season as the presumed  starter, no matter who they bring in. 

,He has earned at least that. 

GBR!!!

Pointing out HH's short comings, as Clint Eastwood said...."A man needs to know his limitations" if we want to progress past a lets make the Cheetos bowl type record, (yes good goal this year) and play with the big boys, we need to understand the limitations of HH- he is the man for this season, but we need a P-5 QB next year, unfortunately, even running the option, which also limits us, he isn't at his best. Unless it is straight line running, he isn't at his best, we know his passing accuracy, and release limit us, he's not a P-5 caliber QB and no amount of practice will change that, so next year lets get a P-5 QB  - maybe that is a freshman, maybe a transfer, but HH at QB next year would be a limitation on our progress as a team. BUT- this year he's all we got so GBR

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, huskered17 said:

If they can correct his throwing motion, if he can get more confidence pitching the ball, and cut down on the turnovers, I don't see why he wouldn't go into next season as the presumed  starter, no matter who they bring in. 

,He has earned at least that. 

GBR!!!

He needs to work really hard on all those things in the off season. Rhule also needs to go get a really good QB in the portal.  Then, start the best one. 

• Plus1 3

Haarberg is like two sides of a coin - flip it and you get what you get. Some of it's going to be good and some of it's going to be bad. It makes him an uncomfortable prospect for the future.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in a position to start again next year. Transfer QB's are hit or miss and freshman are typically going to give you just as many growing pains as they are highlights. If there is someone out there who could take the QB job in 2024, they're not on the roster at the moment, so it's just a lot of unknowns. And it's never easy to unseat an incumbent.

I feel sorry for Jeff Sims.

You know how folks were saying how gracious Sims was for helping and supporting Haarberg, even after Sims was healthy and relegated to the bench? I'm thinking he didn't really want the job back. In the two games when Sims was allowed to step in for a few low-pressure plays, he looked overwhelmed beyond all reason. I think he's way too far into his head and is terrified of playing football right now. I don't think that's likely to change.

The only reason Sim re-emerged in the conversation last week and mid-game Saturday is because Haarberg was quickly catching up to him in terms of weak and unforced turnovers. Were Sims first two games just a rough patch, and is he really that much worse than Haarberg?

Turns out he is. As mentioned, this isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Haarberg, but we will ride him out for what may be a surprisingly good first season for Rhule, and look for a better QB in the portal, because there are definitely better QBs than Haarberg out there. 

If you're suddenly pining for Chubba Purdy, he looked totally overwhelmed himself last season in game action, and the folks who see him everyday in practice haven't said a peep about elevating him. 

• Plus1 6
2 hours ago, BoSolich said:

You'd replace him if there is a better player there.

This is his third year in the program already and he's not exactly inspiring anyone with his play. Sure he does make some good plays each game, but those seem to be mixed in with several head scratchers and every step forward is followed by steps backwards.

We must ride the hot hand this year, but unless HH makes some significant strides the rest of this year and the spring, I would certainly hope we scour the transfer portal. In addition, as we've seen the past several years, we will need multiple QBs in a season so it would be helpful to add depth if nothing else.