Gabe Ervin and Rahmir Johnson out for the season

Red Five

2 minutes ago, Fru said:

I’m confident there are several RBs on the roster that could have filled in during garbage time. A 25 point swing in 6 minutes? C’mon. 

FWIW, I don't think you're wrong. I think it's just a crappy situation.

While I think we can make a cogent argument for why Grant/Ervin shouldn't be in the game up 24 with 6 min. left, I also think it's a freak injury and there's a possibility that the coaches were using it as a way to get more reps and continue to build confidence for the team. It looks bad in hindsight because a player is now out for the season, but I also don't recall sitting on my couch at that point in the gaming thinking "man, they really shouldn't have Ervin in there." It felt appropriate/normal. And they were probably on the verge of that being among his last carries for the game.

I guess my point is that if Ervin hadn't been injured, I don't think many of us would be sitting here on a Monday wondering why Ervin got a carry with 6:30 left in the game. We're hyperaware of it now because of something bad that happened. So, I try to judge the decision based on the moment and the situation as opposed to the result, and in the moment, it didn't necessarily feel wrong or inappropriate to have him in there. Just my two cents though.

4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

In my Roy Kent voice:

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.......................

Love that show.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

FWIW, I don't think you're wrong. I think it's just a crappy situation.

While I think we can make a cogent argument for why Grant/Ervin shouldn't be in the game up 24 with 6 min. left, I also think it's a freak injury and there's a possibility that the coaches were using it as a way to get more reps and continue to build confidence for the team. It looks bad in hindsight because a player is now out for the season, but I also don't recall sitting on my couch at that point in the gaming thinking "man, they really shouldn't have Ervin in there." It felt appropriate/normal. And they were probably on the verge of that being among his last carries for the game.

I guess my point is that if Ervin hadn't been injured, I don't think many of us would be sitting here on a Monday wondering why Ervin got a carry with 6:30 left in the game. We're hyperaware of it now because of something bad that happened. So, I try to judge the decision based on the moment and the situation as opposed to the result, and in the moment, it didn't necessarily feel wrong or inappropriate to have him in there. Just my two cents though.

Exactly.

The only reason why people are upset about it is because of the injury, which was a freak injury that typically would not have happened.

The situation sucks.  But, I fail to see a need to blame the coaches.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Toe said:

Yep. And soon we'll probably be playing a converted WR again.

Time for Grant to really man up - hold on to the ball and be the guy.  Also, Emmett was Mr Minnesota - maybe he can find that magic and make the most of his opportunities.

I'm with the 'Kind of kidding' group - Keep Haarberg in there to manage the game and put Sims in there as a slot receiver who can get the ball in space or move into a TB position.     Three headed running monster: Haarberg, Grant, Sims, wt a FB thrown in there for good measure.  Triple option here we come. 

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.

The only reason why people are upset about it is because of the injury, which was a freak injury that typically would not have happened.

The situation sucks.  But, I fail to see a need to blame the coaches.

When's the last time you heard of a running back dislocating their hip???

On the plus side, for the rest of the season we can say we have 2 guys averaging over 5 yards per carry.

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Thanks for finding that.

I understand anything can happen at any time with football, but man this it is wildly frustrating. Given that Rahmir was already injured at this point in the game, is it asking too much for the coaches to have a little wherewithal to pull some starters with the game in hand? 

have you watched any Nebraska football in the last 5 years?  What would make you think any game is "in hand" with 6 min left in the game?  jk kinda.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1