Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, Fru said:

At this point I feel like it’s gotta be something additional. And yes, I get ankle sprains can linger and take forever to heal. But c’mon. It’s football. If every football player with a sprained ankle sat out until it was perfectly healed, no program would be able to field enough players to have a team.

Plus, don't they just "make sure" it doesn't hurt come game day??

Also, years ago I was hammered in Lincoln for a game, tripped on a curb and totally twisted my ankle really bad.  Luckily the booze in my body kept me going and even the next day I was able to coach a middle school game

#Warrior

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Plus, don't they just "make sure" it doesn't hurt come game day??

Also, years ago I was hammered in Lincoln for a game, tripped on a curb and totally twisted my ankle really bad.  Luckily the booze in my body kept me going and even the next day I was able to coach a middle school game

#Warrior

Your ankles are made out of paper mache. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Fru said:

At this point I feel like it’s gotta be something additional. And yes, I get ankle sprains can linger and take forever to heal. But c’mon. It’s football. If every football player with a sprained ankle sat out until it was perfectly healed, no program would be able to field enough players to have a team.

What we think of as sprained ankles are typically low ankle sprains or very mild high ankle sprains. There's a whole spectrum, and severe ones can even require surgery. I don't think there's anything crazy going on - we rely on the QB run game way too much to have him play through it. If we ran Iowa's offense, sure he could probably be out there. He's been dressing and ran a play against La Tech, but you don't want him running around on it too much and that's exactly what our offense needs the QB to do.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

What we think of as sprained ankles are typically low ankle sprains or very mild high ankle sprains. There's a whole spectrum, and severe ones can even require surgery. I don't think there's anything crazy going on - we rely on the QB run game way too much to have him play through it. If we ran Iowa's offense, sure he could probably be out there. He's been dressing and ran a play against La Tech, but you don't want him running around on it too much and that's exactly what our offense needs the QB to do.

I get that. But it’s not like we haven’t had a history of running quarterbacks who I’m confident all played thru some pretty wicked sprains and other injuries. AM had to have his broken face wired together, and he still played. 

7 minutes ago, Fru said:

I get that. But it’s not like we haven’t had a history of running quarterbacks who I’m confident all played thru some pretty wicked sprains and other injuries. AM had to have his broken face wired together, and he still played. 

That was largely because we needed them to, and it was not the best thing for them. I don't think we needed Sims for NIU or La Tech, and we were going to lose to Michigan anyway. Unlike the situations with both Martinez's and Armstrong at least, we have a young backup who is worthy of a look. We played Adrian through an ankle sprain against Minnesota in 2021 and he had 8 carries for -17 yards. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fru said:

You don't remember Taylor Martinez's sprain against Missouri???

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

It just was in fact a high-ankle sprain, despite Rhule questioning that initially. He clarified at some point in the last week or so that they assumed it wasn't a normal high-ankle sprain based on Sims ability to move shortly after, but turns out he's just pretty tough and it was a pretty standard high-ankle issue. 4-6 weeks is the norm for that.

Bingo.  High ankle sprains take time.

Christian McCaffery missed 6 weeks in 2020.  Cooper Kupp missed 8 weeks last year.

• Plus1 2

Broken leg :blink:

Anyway, I’d could be likely that the coaching staff things they can get through Illinois week with HH as the starter (Sims emergency QB) and win the game giving Sims an extra couple of weeks to heal with the bye week coming up.   

Not a bad strategy if HH can manage the game in a way Sims did against Minnesota just without the turnovers and the defense shows up in a big way.  

• Plus1 1

I do think Satterfield can do a little more than he has so far in terms of getting different kinds of plays into the mix at the right time. It's not necessarily a generic complaint about "play calling" but rather a "how can we use guys differently and avoid the constant blitzes."

We don't pass block well. So don't dial up slow-developing passing plays on 1st down. He thinks it's catching the other team off guard, and maybe it could - if we didn't suck in pass protection.

Do something to work the ball outside quickly on early downs. Maybe that's just designed keepers out of the "I" for Haarberg.